1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Wardrobe Help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Techno-Elf, Jun 27, 2006.

1. new obsession

new obsession Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity. Are you currently naked? Have you lost all your existing clothes to a fire? [​IMG] Kidding, but seriously I wish you luck in your purchases, if that is how you decide to go, and I wish you luck in your non-purchases if that is the way you decide to go.

I wish you luck on your new adventure!!

Two pieces of college advice. 1- try to get on a schedule, go to the gym at teh same time every day, set aside a set amount of time for study, and wake up at the same time every morning. Trust me on this. 2- avoid any SERIOUS romantic entanglements until at least your fourth year... if then... you have plenty of time for that after college.

2. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Do you live in FL now? Are you in a major metro area?

Not to beat a dead horse, but selection is everything, and if you are going to a bigger city you will likely be able to shop there. You can often find better deals and be sure that you don't look like the best-dressed small-town guy around.

3. Techno-Elf

Techno-Elf Well-Known Member

Thanks for the college advice thats a good idea. Anyways ummm, no right now I live in Alabama close to Birmingham, so thier are no "nice" clothes stores close to me. Also I wil be going to a college in lower Alabama, like Troy University or South Alabama which is lke 30 mins from the beach. Thats why I wil have to order my stuff off line. But see now all my clothes are XL to 2XL shirts and 38 pants at 260 lb that since Ive been excerising and eating right my goal is to get down to 180 and a Large and 34s. So thats why I wont new clothes and since I can get the money it wont put me in the poor house. I just need to know like how many of what I should get. Like is the list I posted about ok or should I have less? Also shouldnt I have different shirts for working out and going to the beach in so I dont ruin my good ones? Thanks

4. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Do you have time off before you start school? Plan a shopping trip to Atlanta to stock up during sale season...

The numbers that you have should work fine. Good luck with continued weight loss!

5. Techno-Elf

Yeah thats a good idea! Ill do that. Thanks

6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

How did mensimageconsultant overlook this?

The advice given is a good. Here a few specifics to add.

1) Buy a pair of casual linen (or linen-cotton) pants. It's tropical stylish.

2) Get a lightweight sweater, maybe of two-ply cashmere (on sale). It is a stylish alternative to a windbreaker. Also, make sure there is some fabric variety among your casual button-front shirts. (Polyester doesn't count.)

3) You should consider adding a casual blazer. For example, a tan cotton blazer.

4) At least one dress shirt in a bold color or patten is a good idea.

Options 3 and 4 are for "evening social," attire for situations such as trendy bars.

7. Techno-Elf

Thanks mensimageconsultant I pmed you for some more advice. Anyone esle? Thanks

8. Techno-Elf

By the way I was just curious to what a typical city wardrobe city would be for somewhere like San Francisco/Mami/New York/Seattle? For Regular Life, Exercising, Clubbing, Working (Interning). Like what would be like the overall basics for all year?

9. seen

seen Well-Known Member

Actually, with size L and 34, you're looking at about 160-170lbs. 180lb might still require bigger sizes.

10. Techno-Elf

Oh, well ok. Thanks but I know with hard work and dedication I can get down to that. Anyways By the way I was just curious to what a typical city wardrobe city would be for somewhere like San Francisco/Mami/New York/Seattle? For Regular Life, Exercising, Clubbing, Working (Interning). Like what would be like the overall basics for all year?

11. Techno-Elf

Also I was thinking... What type of Long Sleeve and Short Sleeve Shirts Do I need? Also is it better to limit colors or go all out? THAnks

12. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Type of shirt really depends on specifics like peer group. Just make sure you have some patterns, such as vertical stripes and checks.

Black, blue, brown, red, green - those colors should be found in your collection of shirts. For professional situations, white sometimes will be needed. (Business attire is much easier than casual attire to define.) Shades of red and green, for example, are hard to pinpoint due to the lack of specifics, such as your personality and personal coloring.