1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Sofa: Florence Knoll in Ivory Cato

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

And mafoofan, please have the courage of your convictions. No need to apologize for 1000sf in NYC (especially if it's quality space). Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred. You don't need to move out of the city when you have kids. Have you watched Mr. Blandings?

I was just being honest. My wife and I would like to have a backyard one day and don't plan on staying in the city forever. Still, we're very happy with our current apartment and have nothing to complain about.

2. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Hey, suburban cred's important.

[​IMG]

I stand chastened.

3. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

I was just being honest. My wife and I would like to have a backyard one day and don't plan on staying in the city forever. Still, we're very happy with our current apartment and have nothing to complain about.

Yards are great and definitely worth making a priority. The lots in our neighborhood are mostly large (even if too often given over to the preservation of primeval thickets of wild fennel). I can certainly understand moving out of the city in search of land as opposed to more house.

Anyway, enough hijacking. Congratulations on your couch.

4. mafoofan

Okay, here's the middle back cushion. Where is the rippling and puckering?

[​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Love the sofa. The cushions actually remind me very much of the Barcelona chair, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. I am more of a fan darker fabric colors, but that's only because of the wine spilling nature of the gf.

But what is with the ridiculously barren white wall behind the sofa?? Add some color to that mofo, or stick a picture frame or other fixture there.

And 1,000 sf. or NYC is great for 2 people, I'd be surprised if I had half that space in my 1-bedroom.

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

are people talking about that little bump at the top right?

7. JacobJacob

JacobJacob Well-Known Member

Your sofa is light in its appearance, sharp, minimalistic and very nice. knoll makes"ever-green" furniture. Good choice.
    I don't think you should stuff it up in the corner though. Sofas like this need as much air around them as possible.

8. mafoofan

Love the sofa. The cushions actually remind me very much of the Barcelona chair, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. I am more of a fan darker fabric colors, but that's only because of the wine spilling nature of the gf.

The Barcelona chair has piping between the tufts; the F. Knoll sofa doesn't. We may have re-ordered the sofa in leather if they could have done a custom order with piping for a reasonable price. The leather stitching looked really sloppy on our first sofa and piping would have covered it up.

But what is with the ridiculously barren white wall behind the sofa?? Add some color to that mofo, or stick a picture frame or other fixture there.

Our whole apartment is barren like that. We're still waiting on our goddamned coffee table and rug.

9. nioh

nioh Well-Known Member

I like it; possibly more than in leather actually. Not sure how it's going to look with a black Laccio table though, I would have preferred less contrast, i.e. white.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. This is just silly and I don't understand it. And it's not an academic question at all. I don't get the contemporary obsession with excess--big people driving huge cars and living in hangars. It never occurred to me that I've been living all these years cheek-to-jowl in some sort of dark medieval dystopia. At least we don't bring the animals in in the winter. But, yes, to each his own, I suppose.

That's me, just silly. Silly me does find it funny how you read so much into things though. Merely because I don't want to be cramped into small spaces, I am obessed with huge cars and living in a "hangar"? LOL, hyperbole much?

Possibly one has a couple of purpose built rooms, i.e. exercise, bar/parlour, wine cellar and a big walk in closet, plus like to have family visit so has a couple of designated guest rooms, and this helps push the house to the 5k sq feet realm?

And mafoofan, please have the courage of your convictions. No need to apologize for 1000sf in NYC (especially if it's quality space). Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred. You don't need to move out of the city when you have kids. Have you watched Mr. Blandings?

Well, that plea was well accepted.

Again, each to his own I say, and I say it whole heartedly, not with an "I suppose."

Foof, to the topic. You can't see it? Top row, third panel. It looks great though, this is a minor imperfection that only some of us are picking up. Don't worry about it.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

We have a touch over 1,000 sq. feet.

It's all about ratios, right? With your stature that's like 3,000 sq. feet.

12. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

It's all about ratios, right? With your stature that's like 3,000 sq. feet.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He could double the whole apartment by adding a floor between the original floor and ceiling. Like in Being John Malkovich.

13. mafoofan

I don't think you should stuff it up in the corner though. Sofas like this need as much air around them as possible.

You're right, but we don't have the space for that.

Foof, to the topic. You can't see it? Top row, third panel. It looks great though, this is a minor imperfection that only some of us are picking up. Don't worry about it.

No, I can't see it. Would you mind describing in more detail? That panel looks exactly like the others to me.

14. Piobaire

No, I can't see it. Would you mind describing in more detail? That panel looks exactly like the others to me.

Seriously dood, forget about it. Just because several of us see it and you don't, doesn't mean it's an issue. I'm sorry I brought it up now.

15. Flieger

Foof they are in ur head playin with ur ocd.

16. Piobaire

Foof they are in ur head playin with ur ocd.

That's why I wish I had not mentioned it. I've figured out, in this thread, Foof might have a little OCD and feel bad for triggering it.

Seriously Mafoo, only some of us are seeing it. Forget about and enjoy that 8k sofa!

17. Flieger

Foof might have a little OCD !

Understatement FTW!!!!

18. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Nice sofa. I agree that it's one of the best sofas ever designed. As for the fabric pull, I think it's that the vertical rows are leaning over in the third and fourth panels of the top row.

--Andre

19. Piobaire

Nice sofa. I agree that it's one of the best sofas ever designed. As for the fabric pull, I think it's that the vertical rows are leaning over in the third and fourth panels of the top row.

--Andre

That is exactly what I am seeing. Something is up with the third panel, and it impinges on the fourth, correct?

20. mafoofan

--Andre

That is exactly what I am seeing. Something is up with the third panel, and it impinges on the fourth, correct?

I can see some slant, but there's a bit of that in many of the panels. The fact that the tufts are quite mounded can make the effect more pronounced from certain angles.