1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Sofa: Florence Knoll in Ivory Cato

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

1. Every piece of nice furniture in our apartment probably did appear in a DWR catalog.

I thought your bed was Ikea?

How much furniture do you have? I was under the impression your place was modest in size, only 2k sq feet or so?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression your place was modest in size, only 2k sq feet or so?

Quoted for lack of understanding of NYC real estate! [​IMG]

3. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

How much furniture do you have? I was under the impression your place was modest in size, only 2k sq feet or so?

Pretty sure his place isn't half that big. I think NYC real estate are like 1k for every sq ft right?

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

So when are you going to cover it in plastic?

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The bed is Ikea, but we don't consider it a 'nice' piece.

6. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

What fresh brand of hell is this? How much space do you need? My family of four lives in about 1700sf in San Francisco and it's more than enough for us--three bedrooms, double parlor, split bath, kitchen and dining room. I really don't want for more space. When I see 3500sf suburban houses it edges me towards a kind of vertigo. Out by where my parents live in Contra Costa County sports stars have huge compounds that remind me of motels. Where's the glamour in that?

For the record, while my own tastes are slightly more baroque, I too think the fabric is much nicer than the leather.

7. Piobaire

The bed is Ikea, but we don't consider it a 'nice' piece.

Ah, didn't notice the modifier. I have to agree with you there.

I guess I was wrong about the size of your place too, or so Greg and Randal seem to think.

8. mafoofan

Ah, didn't notice the modifier. I have to agree with you there.

I guess I was wrong about the size of your place too, or so Greg and Randal seem to think.

We have a touch over 1,000 sq. feet.

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Looks very nice mafoofan. Congratulations!

10. mafoofan

Looks very nice mafoofan. Congratulations!

Thanks. It was a giant headache (more so than any bespoke project!), but we're happy with the end result.

11. Piobaire

We have a touch over 1,000 sq. feet.

I guess there are trade offs living in the big city.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

What fresh brand of hell is this? How much space do you need? My family of four lives in about 1700sf in San Francisco and it's more than enough for us--three bedrooms, double parlor, split bath, kitchen and dining room. I really don't want for more space. When I see 3500sf suburban houses it edges me towards a kind of vertigo. Out by where my parents live in Contra Costa County sports stars have huge compounds that remind me of motels. Where's the glamour in that?

For the record, while my own tastes are slightly more baroque, I too think the fabric is much nicer than the leather.

Personally, I'd rather spend more per square foot and have a smaller, higher-end interior, than spend an equivalent amount on way more space. Growing up I had friends with 4-5k sq houses and the interiors were so bland.

My last apartment was just under 1000 sq. feet, and that was plenty for a couple. I grew up in 3000 sq. ft houses with a brother and a sister though. I can't imagine living in less space than that with kids. Talk about ever-present noise... I think you probably have to add 500sq. ft. per kid to be comfortable, but that's just me.... That makes it a 2500sq. ft minimum for 3 kids. I like peace and quiet and my own space. A basement with a locking door is always a plus.

13. Piobaire

Academically, I know what you say is possible. I mean, being very poor growing up, I lived it. I just can't see myself willing do it as an adult. To each his own though, I say.

14. mafoofan

Academically, I know what you say is possible. I mean, being very poor growing up, I lived it. I just can't see myself willing do it as an adult. To each his own though, I say.

I grew up in the suburbs, so I know what it's like to have a lot of space. A thousand square feet is perfectly alright for us right now, but not forever--and certainly not if we have kids.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I'd like something about half to two-thirds what we have, and could never live in a place the size of the house I grew up in. I'd get lonely, and angry at upkeep. Space can be way overrated, at least to me.

16. robin

robin Well-Known Member

I'd turn any empty spaces into large ball pits.

17. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

You've chosen the finest sofa ever designed, in a very nice color and fabric. Well done and ubiquity be damned in this case.

18. mafoofan

I'd like something about half to two-thirds what we have, and could never live in a place the size of the house I grew up in. I'd get lonely, and angry at upkeep. Space can be way overrated, at least to me.

Well, my parents' house is big enough, but far from palatial, so I happily imagine an upgrade to something similar one day [​IMG].

You've chosen the finest sofa ever designed, in a very nice color and fabric. Well done and ubiquity be damned in this case.

Thanks. We looked at dozens of contemporary designs. A giant portion seem to be heavily inspired by the Florence Knoll, and we tended to gravitate toward them. The ones less heavily inspired tended to have features we didn't like and wouldn't work in our small space--low and chunky seems to be all the rage these days. Perhaps I'm misguided, but I don't like the slip cover costruction typical of so many current Italian designs. The covers always look a little messy.

At the end, we figured there was no point in straying from the original unless construction or quality were going to be problematic.

19. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. This is just silly and I don't understand it. And it's not an academic question at all. I don't get the contemporary obsession with excess--big people driving huge cars and living in hangars. It never occurred to me that I've been living all these years cheek-to-jowl in some sort of dark medieval dystopia. At least we don't bring the animals in in the winter. But, yes, to each his own, I suppose.

And mafoofan, please have the courage of your convictions. No need to apologize for 1000sf in NYC (especially if it's quality space). Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred. You don't need to move out of the city when you have kids. Have you watched Mr. Blandings?

20. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred.
    Hey, suburban cred's important.

[​IMG]