1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Apr 1, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I'll be wearing dress shoes more frequently in the coming years. Currently I have a pair of brown Ferragamo Tramezza semi-brogues and a pair of black Johnston and Murphy cap-toe oxford. I haven't worn the J&Ms since I purchased the Tramezzas nine months ago. I'm going to look to buy shoes with leather soles that will last a long time, preferably bench-made. I figure that I can spend a little more as long as I'll be wearing them ten or fifteen years from now. What do you think? Greens, more Tramezzas, others? I'd like to keep it in the $600-$800 range for each of the pair or two. I have not been much of a shoe person so I'm not entirely sure what kind of prices I'll be facing realistically (I got my Tramezzas for $285). I'm a 10 (Ferragamo) and 10.5 (other) in case anybody sees a nice, conservative black cap-toe on Ebay. Thanks for your help.

2. newyorker

newyorker Well-Known Member

3. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Check with Ron Rider at Francos. He has lots of good options at reasonable prices.

4. drljva

drljva Well-Known Member

You're right, the Fiorenzo is an awesome shoe. Very sylish -- to my eyes, at least -- and well made. Tried one on the other day at Salks in NYC; thought about getting it, but found an EG pair (Elmsley black blucher on the D202 last) that I liked even better. [​IMG]

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

My Tramezzas must be on the same last as the Fiorenza.  They have the same shape, but it does not have a blucher.  I very much like my shoes, as well as the Fiorenza.  Recalling the 'Derby: Appropriate for Suits' discussion, I would prefer to stick with shoes I can wear with suits.  Thanks for your advice.  Hope to hear from more of you.

6. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Ebay has lots of Tramezza monkstraps and a few oxfords right now, most for $339. You may find something in your size.