1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New season of South Park

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Mar 12, 2009.

1. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

2. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

I don't think I laughed out loud once during that entire episode. [​IMG]

3. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Well-Known Member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Coonicon '09 was pretty funny.

4. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

Terrible. I'm convinced that either Matt and Trey have nothing to do with the writing of this show anymore, or they have lived outside Colorado for so long they have forgotten their roots and how to write good comedy. I'm now officially at the point where I will not watch new episodes unless a friend recommends me to do so. It's a shame - this show was much funnier than anyone gave it credit for.

5. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

this thread inspired me to watch the latest episode (The Coon)....I'm sad that I did so.

Although the Bruce Vilanche referencing was funny.

6. Steggy

Steggy Well-Known Member

Episode sucked. At least my hope for mankind is lifted in demetri martin's show after.

"Ok, here are a few questions to determine the needed boost of coolness. How many comics do you own?"

"well...does that include graphic novels?"

"....We have all the information we need."

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

It is not as if South Park ever says anything particularly groundbreaking. Their messages aren't even hidden in allegory that well, and they just articulate the most cliched libertarian beliefs possible (which both of them fully subscribe to).

The show was originally funny because of the juxtaposition of these children cussing and their extreme adventures, coupled with obscure pop culture references. Now it's just a bunch of middle school kids who are mere vehicles for a political message. Nor is the message particularly salient or worth listening to.

Most of the humor is gone because they blatantly rip off movies with a wink-wink nudge-nudge of a, "this is just avoiding copyright infringement! Boy aren't we clever!" If it isn't that it is basically Matt and Trey trying to piss in the eye of someone who has honored them, or angered them off, only for the sake of pissing in someone's eye. [Something of an aside here: their outrage over Isaac Hayes was such a crock of shit. Their reaction was "look if you just get offended over what is near and dear to your heart, that is bullshit." What the hell else are you going to get offended over?]

The show last night was entertaining but certainly not funny in the way it used to be. The most classic moment was when Mysterion revealed himself and it just looked like every other kid in the class and he didn't speak. Who do y'all think it was?

8. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Not funny at all. Weak episode, once again.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

The coon was better than the first one.. but kind of a weak start so far.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Well there's another 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Why did I stay up to watch this?

11. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

S13E03 - Margaritaville had some amusing moments. A decent satire of the recession and the New Testament. The best offering so far. 7/10

12. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Well-Known Member

There is a new season? Wow! If thought this was dead and buried. I'm sure they can keep it going. The Simpsons has set the precedent for this kind of thing. They haven't made a good episode since season 9/10 and it's like season 213 now. Crapfest.

13. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

Best episode in years, for sure

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Last night was actually really well written, with the parallels of Christ and the bailouts. Good stuff. But there was something about it, I didn't really enjoy it all that much. Weird.

15. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Finally, a strong episode late night.

16. Oxnard

Oxnard Well-Known Member

I am a huge South Park fan still, always have been, its one of the few shows I stay up to watch when new episodes come on. For the new season, Episode One was allright, best part for me was hearing Mickey Mouse call the Jonas Brothers faggots, that gave me a chuckle. Disney is pretty easy to hate too, and I really despise the whole opal ring idea. Episode 2, The Coon, allright, though for a while now they have overdone the whole point that everyone really hates Cartman. Best part of that episode was his interaction with Butters, in particular Butter's "Professor Chaos secret base" storage locker. Episode 3 was pretty fun I thought, I always like the episodes that center around Stan's dad Randy, he is definitely one of the funniest characters on the show. It sounds like there is not a lot of love for the recent years of South Park. Personally I thought last season was one of the better ones in recent years: Overlogging was one of the best episodes in the last few years, downright hysterical(the grapes of wrath ripoff about them moving west due to loss of internet) Major Boobage, Super Fun Time, About Last Night was pretty good, The Pandemic was also allright. Season 11 had some pretty downright awful episodes (D-Yikes, the Tourette Syndrome episode, With Apologies to Jesse Jackson), though Guitar Queer-O and Night of the Living Homeless were both pretty good. Imaginationland was kindve funny just for all the popculture references. Lastly, I want to mention that I am very thankful to the South Park people for putting up every episode of South Park ever made in full on their www.southparkstudios.com website. There are a few 20 second advertisements, but shit, its every episode ever, for free!

17. xpress

xpress Well-Known Member

Margaritaville --> South Park classic!!

Best episode in a long time

18. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Yeahhhhh, it's gone.

Good ep!

19. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

I am 5 minutes into the first ep. of the new season and it is already one of the most inappropriate (and thus hilarious) episodes in recent memory. Awesome. [​IMG]
    It was a brilliant episode. Disney Christians Sex exploitation Consumerism all rolled into one. BTW I think majority of Americans cannot take a joke about any of these topics, that is why so many of you didin't like the first episode. Episodes like the first one should be made part of school curriculum.

20. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

the first episode not being funny had nothing to do with not being able to take a joke. It's more about South Park being unable to give one.