1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New RL coupon and private sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by metkirk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Don't know if it applies to actual RL stores, but there is a code for 30% off for online purchases, good until Dec 10, I believe.

Code is "HOL2007"

2. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Are all the leftover C&J for Polo on sale, or are there some models that aren't?

3. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Is the Nilton captoe in black worth having for $258? My other options would be the C&J Audley and the Alden Hampton.

4. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

The Nilton is a blucher, a very different shoe from the Audley, which is also probably a much nicer shoe, IMO.

5. alliswell

good point. that doesn't make me feel very smart.

The Nilton is a blucher, a very different shoe from the Audley, which is also probably a much nicer shoe, IMO.

6. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Well-Known Member

What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway?
    This brings up another question in my mind. Is it possible, and if so desirable, to have a cobbler make well-fitted full sockliners for one's shoes?

If sockliners are merely cosmetic, why the difference between full and half liners? Or why sockliners at all in the first place?

What function does it serve?

7. lee_44106

1. Cosmetic, so the inside of the shoe looks as good as the outside.
    2. Extra layer of leather, however thin, means more cushion and more absorption for sweaty feet

8. tomahn

tomahn Member

thanks for the coupon lee.

9. Sartorially Challenged

1. Cosmetic, so the inside of the shoe looks as good as the outside.
    2. Extra layer of leather, however thin, means more cushion and more absorption for sweaty feet

I don't mean to be argumentative, but your two items strike me as oxymoronic.

10. alliswell

You're assuming that cosmetic and functional are mutually exclusive. They're not, as any [name your favorite performance car] owner will tell you.

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

They have a very slight function. On older shoes where they are matted down and stiff, they make hardly any difference at all.

I had a pair of vintage church's where the left shoe had the old half sole in it, and the right shoe had it completely missing. I couldn't feel any difference when I wore the shoes.

12. lee_44106

On first look, this may seem the case. However, the primary function of a complete insole lining is to accentuate the overall good look of the shoe. I bring up the cushion/sweat absorption point merely to illustrate that these factors MAY be added bonus of having a complete lining.

13. Sartorially Challenged

This brings up another question in my mind. Is it possible, and if so desirable, to have a cobbler make well-fitted full sockliners for one's shoes?
    Any opinions about the above question?

14. Thorn Proof

Thorn Proof Well-Known Member

Ask for Spiros at the Bitlmore Fashion Square on 24th and Camelback. He'll take good care of you. That Polo shop does not carry a lot of RLPL but they do have some. Saks and NM light if any (NM more).

15. cassanova

cassanova Member

are EGs on sale at the Madison Ave location

16. ColeFieldHouse

ColeFieldHouse Well-Known Member

are EGs on sale at the Madison Ave location

Early intelligence reported that no EGs were on sale this time around. Cross your fingers and hope that we see post-Christmas markdowns.

17. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, anyone get any 10.5-11 shell cordovan shoes they want to unload...totally missed this thread until today![​IMG]

18. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Did anyone pick up any McCallums recently? Just curious what you might have paid.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, anyone get any 10.5-11 shell cordovan shoes they want to unload...totally missed this thread until today![​IMG]

I had the Darlton loafers in 10.5D - already returned them. They were in the B&S section for a few days last week.

20. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

Thanks for nothing then...just kidding...I picked up a pair from GVH.