1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Ralph Lauren line: Denim & Supply

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Aug 12, 2011.

1. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

Interesting ... just read on ValetMag about RL's new clothing line called Denim & Supply. It's already online: http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11391278

According to the website it's inspired by "the warehouse and artist communities of Brooklyn, NY." The clothes look kind of like RRL Americana, but much less expensive. Lots of plaids and jeans. Anyone see this up close yet? Thoughts?

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Jesus, did RL really need another line thrown into the mix? How many does that make now? Also, just looking quickly it doesn't seem to have anything to do with "the warehouse and artist communities of Brooklyn, NY." I bet it'll start turning up in Marshall's and TJMaxx in a few months.

1 person likes this.
  3. dsoren

dsoren Well-Known Member

That video is fucking stupid.

4. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Well-Known Member

Before everyone starts hating, remember who this line is for... It's for teens that are starting to grow out of American Eagle and Abercrombie. It's a very accessible line so the younger guys can start figuring out what they like and what works for them. I'd venture to say most of us here in the SW&D forum are 21-35, not who this line is intended for. No need to bash it. Just understand what it is and appreciate it for who it is for. If you don't think it's for you, don't shop there. If you like PRL and RRL, stick to PRL and RRL.

5. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

^ but isn't that what the "polo jeans" is for?

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

The problem is that this line is really turning Ralph Lauren into a convoluted mess of identities and brands, and there is so little organizational structure between them. What lines are in what stores? Do some lines have their own store? Are they online only? Why is Rugby on another website? Why do some lines have weird blog-like content that is completely contrived out of the insistence that these lines cater to free-thinking bohemian cowboys? Why are all the clothes so old looking? They're new, aren't they? Why are the web interfaces for each line so different in some cases? Get it together, Ralph.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. warrenjl1

I may be wrong, but I think I heard this line is replacing Polo Jeans Co. Can someone else confirm?

8. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

I thought this was the purpose of Rugby

9. Hornswaggler

Hornswaggler Well-Known Member

The sport shirts look okay, and I kind of like the canvas messenger bag with the flap. Most of the rest is shit, IMHO.

If I were stuck with the task of setting up this line, I would have done the following:

1.) Raw denim. Way to set up a brand called Denim & Supply without supplying proper denim, guys.

2.) Added a line of shoes: A Wolverine x Denim & Supply boot, maybe a couple of varieties of desert boot/chukka (with an FU pair that uses the Navajo-esque blanket pattern they seem to want to do here), and some hiking sandals.

3.) Just said no to the cargo shorts, and done a couple more pairs of normal ones. Likewise with the chinos.

4.) Ditched the logo tees, and maybe kept a waffle shirt or two but added a henley and a deep V neck as a layering piece.

5.) Provided a competitor to Patagonia's Fezzman and Three Trees short-sleeve button-downs.

6.) Interesting belts for the men's line, too.

7.) Lastly, I would have only come out with the shawl hoodie, done a couple cardigans, and a couple mechanic jackets.

Why is it so hard for RL's lower-end brands to come up with a sensible line of clothes?

10. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

In the same way that Rugby is the more youthful version of Polo (preppy), maybe Denim & Supply is the more youthful version of RRL (rugged Americana).

The difference is that Rugby is just as expensive, if not more so, than Polo. It also took preppy to caricature-level extremes, which was actually cool because no one else was doing it. Denim & Supply looks like something you can buy at Aeropostale or American Eagle -- the t-shirts especially, they look terrible. It's going to be sold in Macy's, however, and with RL's marketing muscle and cool displays, it will get a fair number of teenage shoppers. I'd be willing to give one of their plaid shirts a look if the fit and quality were good.

11. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Polo Jeans is dead, and has been for years.

Otherwise I agree with warrenj1 and theDroog. I bet it's closer to (the also defunct) Martin and Osa than to Rugby.

12. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Well-Known Member

dlt

13. madstaxbro

madstaxbro Well-Known Member

I like the blue jacquard shirt on their shop site. Everything else is mallshop AE/Hollister hive.

14. warrenjl1

That's the perfect analogy. More so than AE or AF as I mentioned before.

15. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

Denim & Supply should have physical store..........I see one under renovation in HK replacing the old Polo Jeans shop at the same spot.

16. JakeLA

JakeLA Well-Known Member

It's for Asians. Hence the name Denim & Supply, whiich is like something you'd see on a tshirt in HK.

17. Amelorn

Amelorn Well-Known Member

You're right that it does not look "NYC artistic". I mean, this wanted to be some sort of Americana-hipster. I mean, this line looks like Rugby and RRL have a committed gay relationship and adopted an orphan from State Island.

Polo Jeans actually was re-launched in Europe and the Middle East in 09. Following it's success, Denim & Supply is a "re-launch" of sorts in the US, while Polo Jeans has been rebranded as Denim & Supply.

This line, IMO was not needed. Internationally, RL is juggling enough and quite frankly, there is confusion for the average consumer and redundancy from a design standpoint. Judging by who would buy this sort of clothing, I can't imagine them already being customers of the overall RL name. In fact, they probably are at best indifferent or at worst hostile towards the stereotypical "prep" RL consumer.

18. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I think you guys are worrying to much about RL. It's a business the companies stock and profits are up. I think they know what they are doing.

19. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

Additionally (and confusingly), at least one of the shirts is branded as "POLO Denim & Supply."

Hm...

20. S-Town

S-Town Well-Known Member

I agree with this. It's simply not a line that is relevant to SF. We aren't talking about Hollister, so why would we talk about this. And for the cat that stated that they should be doing raw denim; do you realize how small the raw denim market is??? Almost everyone I encounter thinks I'm ridiculous for wearing raw jeans. I have yet to convince one person in real life that raw is the way to go...