1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Oxxford MTM suit - from bad to good

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Jan 20, 2007.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

The shirt is Ascot Chang

2. Kasper

Kasper Well-Known Member

And the suit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The length of the jacket sleeves look good. I think this pattern would look good with a solid ecru shirt. Do you think a lining like this is formal enough for a business environment?

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Well, looks much better than many Oxxfords I have seen. Love the lining btw, excellent choice!

+ 1 on both counts, and I'm no fan of Oxxford's look.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

In a business environment, nobody will ever see your lining. The only person who sees it is me when I take the coat on and off.

5. darkoak

darkoak Well-Known Member

Nice suit, zjpj. I agree that the pockets look low. Who took the initial measurements for you? One of the salesmen or a tailor?

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Nice suit, zjpj. I agree that the pockets look low. Who took the initial measurements for you? One of the salesmen or a tailor?
    a tailor

7. jml90

jml90 Well-Known Member

That lining of off da heezy fo sheezy mah neezy.....
    Wow I'm entirely too white to say that.

8. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Good suit, but I don't think it's 6-months-for-MTM good at their asking price.

9. jrandyv

jrandyv Member

For a somewhat different perspective; I have 4 Oxxford suits, mostly from Wilkes in SF. All bought on sale, at least 40% off with original prices around $3500 and price paid around $2000. All had a reasonable amount of alterations done by the store's tailors and fit well. (I am a nearly perfect 46L although an Oxxford Crest took a goodly amount of tailoring) I just received and am pleased with, a Oxxford sport coat bought sight unseen working with a Bergdorf's sales person which I'll have let out a little and buttons done here in Portland at Mario's.
    Without any MTM or bespoke experience I am more that satisfied with the Oxxford's I have and plan to add six more sport coats in the coming years.

10. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Suit looks good on you. Do the back pockets not have buttons on Oxxfords?

11. Demeter

Demeter Well-Known Member

That looks great, z!

I agree with the pockets, but overall, it's a great cut.

12. Will

Will Well-Known Member

That is what I worry about with the travelling tailors, including the ones from SR. Having that second basted fitting makes life so much easier.

If there's a problem and you want the clothes faster, you just get on an airplane. I understand that people have been known to do that for fittings. [​IMG]

In my experience, you rarely see bespoke clothes in six months. With a perfected pattern I can get a forward fitting in four months and have clothes in seven if nothing goes wrong. If there's more than the most trivial adjustment, add two or three more months.

I have settled into a pattern where I order spring clothes in the fall and expect them the following summer. I'll order winter clothes in the spring and get them the following winter.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Nice suit Zack. I also love the choice of lining. Your right shoulder does look a bit lower in the picture. The length looks absolutly perfect, if your Borrelli hits at the same place as this oxford does then i would leave it alone. Whos the shirt maker, T&A?

Also, the sleeves shouldn't look so rumpled.

The fabric looks beautiful.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Also, the sleeves shouldn't look so rumpled.

The fabric looks beautiful.

Well, some fabrics tend to rumple a bit in the sleeves. I can't think of an flannel suit that I have ever seen that doesn'trumple a bit through the elbows, but I can't tell what fabric this is anyway. The suit looks nice to me. As an aside, everybody here who gives a lot of critiques tends to also post some pictures of their own clothing. You know, it adds a little gravitas to the opinions. Maybe you could post something of you, or perhaps some of your clients to show us what you do like. That would be more helpful than constantly advising besom pockets and nitpicking.