1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Object Research - The Aitor Throup Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Feb 1, 2013.

1. jwjp

jwjp Well-Known Member

looks like he's wearing AT trousers too, judging by the back of the ankles

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, you're right. Wonder whether it was the denim pair at DSM or something earlier/more recent.

You saw the collection at DSM right jwjp? I think I remember you saying the denim felt pretty stiff. Would be cool to get your thoughts on that collection in this thread :).

3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

that skull rucksack is so cool.

My girlfriend's sister is a very talented artist in high school at the moment (she came first in the world for cambridge art exams or something ridiculous) and she doesn't know what she wants to do at university. She's mentioned product design, architecture and just straight fine arts...I think I might show her some Aitor Throup and get her to read about his concepts.

I just love some of the things he was saying about coming up with a goal you want to achieve and then just doing each step the right way. It's quite applicable to a lot of things.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Shapes of things to come:
    Aitor Throup's menswear is conceptual but eminently wearable

Article by The Independent

source

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. jwjp

jwjp Well-Known Member

I did indeed, here are my original thoughts:

Seeing it in person was a great experience, pictures don't do it justice - truly sculptural clothing. The denim was rubberised in some fashion - very stiff - and like I said I don't think it would be comfortable, although perhaps it would be the sort of thing that would mould to one's body. This thread has renewed my excitement for his clothes, I definitely intend to buy one of the new coat styles whenever they come out (even if it means saving up my pennies); I presume DSM will be selling them when the time comes.

I hope his archetypal design process succeeds - to know your favourite design or a piece you missed out on will return in some form or another is very reassuring.

6. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Thanks for re-posting your comments man :).

Yeah, this for me is one of the main things I really hope can work out for AT and his team. I also really like the idea that he spends a lot of time fine-tuning and testing various ideas before he takes them to the development stage and then adds them to the archetype library for production. I just hope that with the apparently demanding production process, they can meet up to store demands.

Hopefully he won't end up going the CCP route with haphazard release schedules and really small runs of items.

It can't be easy creating clothing like this I imagine.

7. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

+1, great thread. Love AT's work, wish he had a retail side where some of these could be purchased (at likely ridiculous prices, but w/e)

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Shiva Skull bag installation at Atelier New York FEBRUARY 11 - 14, 2013

[​IMG]

More info here

Looks like there will only be 10 available at Atelier and they will be going on sale from the 26th. I am pretty sure they will sell out before they hit the website actually, even at the purported $1700 price point, hehe.

Other places the shiva skull bag will be available are:

H Lorenzo - L.A
    I.T - Hong Kong
    Dover Street Market - London/Ginza
    Rail - Italy
    Antonioli - Italy
    Oki Ni - Online
    L'Eclaireur - Paris

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

Not as steep as I thought it´d be, so it looks like they will probably sell out in a matter of seconds.

10. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah probably. Can't wait until I can travel and handle his stuff somewhere.

11. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

that's not the backpack, right?

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Yup. That's the much smaller utility bag.

This is the backpack (upside down) -

[​IMG]
    image source

I find that the easiest way to tell them apart when discussing in writing is to refer to the smaller bags as "Shiva skull bags" while the backpack is simply the "Skull backpack". Both from different narratives so the skull design serves different purposes in both.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Just spent about 40 minutes going through this thread. Really interesting read, thanks for that.

Here is a pic I came across of someone actually wearing some AT:

[​IMG]

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Did anybody in New York see the Aitor installation? Been looking for pictures online and haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks for that pic NationS. I saw that as well on instagram. That same user also had another picture of the jeans standing on their own.

[​IMG]

Not sure whether this was via photo editing or some super-stiff and reinforced denim though lol.

The jacket looks pretty nice in that picture based on what I can see at any rate. Still not sold on the pants in this fabric to be honest.

Interestingly, it seems like the AW13 collection and this DSM capsule collection all share modular properties allowing various outfits to be combined and fastened to each other depending on what the wearer would like for that day. I guess it makes sense in a way since Aitor is looking at producing clothing outside the typical seasonal system, it would stand to reason that he would want each release to be as versatile as possible within reason. Found some details of the DSM collection (Stockwell) on a blog here. Posting them below -

Skull backpack

Stockwell Denim Jacket

Stockwell Jeans

Stockwell T-shirt

4 people like this.
  15. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

Where is it in NYC?

16. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

It's the Atelier New York installation I posted about earlier that i was referring to bows. Ended on the 14th though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  17. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

Oh right. Yeah I don't really like Atelier that much so I don't go often :embar:

18. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Lol bows. What's up with Atelier that keeps you away? :D

[​IMG]

Aitor Throup was working on a collaborative project with Phil Hale the artist last year, but don't know what became of it. Not sure what form it was supposed to take either other than it was going to be called "Ziggurat". There was supposed to be an interview with Phil Hale on this site, but looks like the domain registration has lapsed so if they ever did do the interview it is lost for now. The suit looks pretty nice in this shot I think. Fabric looks extremely comfortable. Looks like it's one of the suits from the "Funeral for New Orleans" narrative. Possibly "trumpet" 'cos of the pants.

Looks like the model's outfit was based on (or the photograph inspired) these sketches by Aitor -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phil Hale's artwork is really gorgeous and some of his paintings and drawings really remind me of Aitor's sketches. It's possible he was an influence on Aitor's style.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. uzairh

uzairh Well-Known Member

Great thread! Thanks for the stuff so far.

Yeah, what's up?

20. uzairh

uzairh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    2 people like this.