• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member needs help with Marco Valentino super 160's

8string

Reaction score
Would it be a bad Idea to take it some where else for the shoulders after already having it altered? I'm not worried about paying but not sure where to try taking it in the Toronto area.

I have a hard time getting suits that fit as I have big legs and but from running and smaller chest and shoulders. If I were to get a suit with a size 36 jacket the pants would be 4 inches too small in the waist.

I appreciate all your replies.

viator

Reaction score
Why don't you head to your nearest Brooks Brothers or other nice department store and explain you need a suit and you need the alterations done by this weekend. See if they can help you.

It seems the suit you have won't ever be perfect, so why not get it back from the tailor now before any work is done and you still have a chance to return it?

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 8string
Would it be a bad Idea to take it some where else for the shoulders after already having it altered? I'm not worried about paying but not sure where to try taking it in the Toronto area.

If you need it quickly, you may have a hard time finding anyone to do shoulder work for you that fast. It's fairly complicated and a lot of work, and also can be very expensive, depending on what you have done. A good tailor can actually work on the shoulder attachment itself, but this is bonkers complicated and very costly.

A possible faster solution, which I've had done a few times, is to remove the collar at the back and shoulder and "pull" the shoulders in at the back center seam. You can try this by just having someone stand behind you and grab an inch or two of the fabric just above your shoulder blades and pinch it out away from the jacket while you look in a mirror. This is not the best way to go vs. getting the shoulders the correct size to begin with, especially on a patterned piece, but it can effectively pull the shoulders in a bit and can also help the jacket sit better on the chest if it's at all loose. Somewhat expensive, but nearly so much as working on the shoulder/sleeve attachement in my experience.

I have a hard time getting suits that fit as I have big legs and but from running and smaller chest and shoulders. If I were to get a suit with a size 36 jacket the pants would be 4 inches too small in the waist.

I appreciate all your replies.

When you have more time, you seem like a good candidate for a Made to Measure program, where you'd get to select jacket and trousers that fit you as individual pieces, rather than as a normal off the rack package. It sounds as if your build is going to make it very tough (and expensive) for you to keep trying to get suit jackets so heavily altered just because the pants fit you.

Originally Posted by viator
Why don't you head to your nearest Brooks Brothers or other nice department store and explain you need a suit and you need the alterations done by this weekend. See if they can help you.

It seems the suit you have won't ever be perfect, so why not get it back from the tailor now before any work is done and you still have a chance to return it?

Would be ideal to get a smaller size, but if he has to have something for this weekend he may be out of time.

essej

Reaction score
Fit looks good enough to me. The shirt is too big though.

joneog

Reaction score
Although its a little big I think a 36 would be too small. Length is borderline but ok, sleeves can come up a bit depending on the amount of cuff you want to show.

I think this falls into the "good enough" category if you need it right away.

When I looked at the measurements for the wizard of aahs suits a while back they all seemed to fit very big, especially shoulder-to-shoulder.

8string

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for a "cheap" suit around town and checked a few places like Holts last call, Harry Rosen Outlet store and Toms in Kensington Market. The suits in the $600 to $800 price range didn't seem as nice as this one and the fit no better because of my build.

We don't really have Department stores here anymore other than Sears or Bay which arn't much better than Walmart and Zellers for selection. Walmart in Canada is even lower end than Walmart in US so you can only emagine. The Suits in the dept stores here are all $300 Calvins and such. I did find Some Strellson suits at Toms but IMO the Marco Valentino is better and cheaper. I just descovered that we have a BB downtown. I think thats new here.

Sooner or later I will either get a mtm or even Bespoke but not untill i get better educated on the matter and get a better sence of what I want. I don't wear suits everyday or even every week but I am going to be needing one more often.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, its beyond redemption. Shoulders are unadjustable.

Okay, fine they are. My brother had his shoulders shortened, but you don't want to know the price.... And they came out good too. I was surprised!

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping around for a "cheap" suit around town and checked a few places like Holts last call, Harry Rosen Outlet store and Toms in Kensington Market. The suits in the $600 to $800 price range didn't seem as nice as this one and the fit no better because of my build.

We don't really have Department stores here anymore other than Sears or Bay which arn't much better than Walmart and Zellers for selection. Walmart in Canada is even lower end than Walmart in US so you can only emagine. The Suits in the dept stores here are all $300 Calvins and such. I did find Some Strellson suits at Toms but IMO the Marco Valentino is better and cheaper. I just descovered that we have a BB downtown. I think thats new here.

Sooner or later I will either get a mtm or even Bespoke but not untill i get better educated on the matter and get a better sence of what I want. I don't wear suits everyday or even every week but I am going to be needing one more often.

The first rule of cheap suit buying is "KNOW THY MEASUREMENTS." And if you cannot follow that rule the second best rule is: "KNOW THY SHOULDER MEASUREMENT."

Its not that hard. Find the best fitting shirt you've got. Measure the yoke width and that's your shoulder length. Now you can go forth on ebay and find all sorts of jackets that fit.

Try ehaberdasher's Benjamin suits. Or if you have a Nordstrom's Rack, look for Joseph Abboud.

8string

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
The first rule of cheap suit buying is "KNOW THY MEASUREMENTS." And if you cannot follow that rule the second best rule is: "KNOW THY SHOULDER MEASUREMENT."

Its not that hard. Find the best fitting shirt you've got. Measure the yoke width and that's your shoulder length. Now you can go forth on ebay and find all sorts of jackets that fit.

Try ehaberdasher's Benjamin suits. Or if you have a Nordstrom's Rack, look for Joseph Abboud.

My shoulders are an 18.5 and the jacket measures 19 so yeah there's a quarter inch extra on each sholder. Wow I didn't think it would be so noticable.

viator

Reaction score
My shoulders are an 18.5 and the jacket measures 19 so yeah there's a quarter inch extra on each sholder. Wow I didn't think it would be so noticable.

Best of luck to you with this suit, and hopefully next time you'll find something that fits you better off the rack.

8string

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all your helpfull input. I found a tailor to do the sholders and had them taken in half inch on each side. Here are the pics. How does the tie pattern look with this?
shouldersdone007-1.jpg
shoulders2001-1.jpg
shoulders2002-2.jpg

8string

Reaction score
The guy in the Promanade Center at Bathurst and Steeles. And no the chest isn't tight at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads