1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Nov 22, 2015.

1. extremecross

extremecross New Member

I have an event tomorrow and I only have this one Midnight Blue suit with me here, left the rest at home. Tomorrow's event is just a Dean's list award, nothing spectacular, but we're asked to wear suits so might as well wear the only one I have - as it's not big enough event to order a new suit for.

What shirt and tie should I wear along with it if I wish to look great and noticeable but at the same time not over-the-top center-of-attention kinda thing? I can buy any tie, but shirts are limited to the ones I have right now - White (self-striped), Lilac (as in the photo below), Maroon, Lavender, White-and-Brown checked, Shiny Deep blue, off-white with thin green stripes.

Here's me in the suit - a combination I wore a couple of years ago that I am not very proud of. Any way I can improve on this disaster?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, @chutch . I would say based on that seller feedback, I would buy with confidence that it is legit. That's a good looking suit and if the measurements look right, it's a good buy.

3. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, extreme. If you want to know how to improve that fit, never tie that knot again. Like never. Ever. Thank you.

Go with your white shirt and maybe go grab a burgundy pindot tie from Brooks Brothers if you have one nearby. If you don't have one nearby, just find a simple tie...i.e., solid (no sheen, repp stripe, etc. No need to get flashy. Most of the time, the people that are "noticeable" are that way for all the wrong reasons.

2 people like this.
  4. DennisDemori

DennisDemori New Member

First, some background: I'm 5'9, 37, 170lbs with athletic build and I tend to wear slim fit suits/blazers with a modern, flashier look.

I have some of the entry-level, lower-priced suits and blazers (Topman, H&M, Zara, Uniqlo) and I'm starting to upgrade to higher-quality, higher-priced suits.

Over the past year I've added J. Lindberg, Banana Republic and finally this Burgundy Flannel Suit on sale for $399 at Indochino.

I've read other threads and articles and I'm trying to get a better sense of what the best options are in the $400-$800 price range. When I say "best" options, I'm talking about higher-quality suits (better construction and fabric), like half-canvassed instead of the fused stuff you get at places like H&M.

Based on my research, these are some of the best suits in the $400-$800 price range:

- Benjamin
    - Brooks Brothers (although I find their brand too conservative and stuffy)
    - Charles Tyrwhitt
    - J. Crew (especially the Ludlow)
    - Suit Supply
    - Z Zegna

Hugo Boss and Theory are also in this price range, but I know from reading the forums that the quality isn't great.

Tyrwhitt and the J. Crew Ludlow fit me well, while Zegna would need to be taken in at the sides. I've also found good deals on Theory, Versace and Hugo Boss at Saks Off 5th (Hugo Boss 2-for-1 for around $600!!).

I went to a Suit Supply store this week to try on a few suit jackets and suits and had an overall excellent experience: great customer service, quality and selection.

The salesperson advised me to stay away from their lowest-priced suits ($400) - apparently they're not quite fused and not quite half canvas. The half canvassed suits are $500-$850. The price jumps up to $1,000 for full canvas, but that's above my budget. The Suit Supply suits are definitely the best fitting suits I've ever worn. 38S fit me perfectly - I would only need to let the sleeves out a little (and the pants fit me perfectly, to my surprise).

I'm going to add that I'm NOT looking for the kinds of suits that can be worn to the office 5 days a week. My work environment is business casual, so I only wear blazers or suits once or twice a week on dates or when I go out for drinks, so my clothes lasts a long time.

I have a navy blue H&M blazer I've worn a few dozen times over the last 3 or 4 years that still looks and fits great without any major signs of wear.

So here's my question: What brand(s) would you buy if you were me? I'm leaning towards Suit Supply at the moment.

Also, I've read this article - How to Buy a $2,000 Suit for $500 where the author suggests trying to score brands like Corneliani or Armani Collezioni suits off of eBay and I wonder if this is a good option in my case.

5. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, @DennisDemori . Suit Supply is a good option that has something for everyone. I also like what Benjamin offers and having tried on their suits, can definitely recommend them for the price. In the top end of your price range you can also explore Kent Wang MTM http://www.kentwang.com. Like you mentioned, you can always scour eBay. If you do that, you'll be interested in this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the-styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. NorthDad

NorthDad New Member

Hello,

I will get married soon.

In church I wish to wear something formal. I was thinking morning dress with black tailcoat, white waistcoat and white bow tie. Would that be "wrong"? I think there are no rules about the colors of waistcoat and tie. And I think bow tie is acceptable also?

By the way, at the reception I will wear some lighter suit, or something colorful.

7. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, ND. You check out this thread for wedding advice http://www.styleforum.net/t/329568/official-wedding-attire-question-answer-picture-thread and this one for formal wear http://www.styleforum.net/t/275650/the-state-of-black-tie-your-observations. Best of luck and congrats.

8. DennisDemori

DennisDemori New Member

Thanks @Murlsquirl

Quick question: Are Benjamin suits only sold online or are there any brick and mortar stores where I can try them on first?

9. Murlsquirl

They don't have a shop, but I'm pretty sure they are based out of NJ. You could always try contacting them to ask about stopping by.

10. cvrle1

cvrle1 Member

2 quick questions on Brioni suits. Is there a difference between a Brioni suit and a Brioni made for (Neiman Marcus, Harry Rosen, whomever)

Saw few that say Tailored in Italy by Brioni for.... but not sure if they are as good as straight Brioni ones.

Also, what is a fair price for a used Brioni suit. I know it depends on variety of things. Looked on ebay at sold listings and noticed that prices are from $100-$600 for used suit. Is that a fair range?

Thanks for the help

11. Murlsquirl

I don't know to be honest. I'm guessing the guys in the thrift thread could help out http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread

12. Patrick Sandy

Patrick Sandy Member

Hi all, i am a new member here.

I am from Indonesia, and i recently purchase a black oxford shoes from local brand 'Mario Minardi'.
    I don't quite understand about leather quality in shoes, something like corrected grain or full grain.
    So i need some opinion and guidance about that. The price is around US$140 for this pair. All i know that it was goodyear welted and has a combination of leather and rubber soles.
    Here is a quick look of the shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BlondeOne

BlondeOne New Member

Hello,

Fairly new to Brooks Brothers.

Had to hem the dress within first wearing.

Plastic feel and look to materials of classic sack/shift dress with front pleat. It was on sale, marked from 228 to 68.40. I should have realized that it was going to wear poorly when I first laid eyes on the antiquated material, like from the 1960s.. The dress had no special appeal other than to be a background for accessories. I happen to deal in expensive homes and it cannot be worn again in good conscious because of the ruffing on the synthetic does not lye down on the material. It looks terrible in the daylight. It was a total rip off except for the very first wearing.

Has anyone else experienced this poor quality material? I am sending it back so they can see the shredding.

14. keeno

keeno Member

Hello everyone. I'm new and was hoping to get your advice on dress shoes. I'd like to revamp my shoe situation as I feel it's pretty bleak. I need to replace my black captoe oxfords and after that I don't know what to do. My company is business professional for 9 months and business casual for the summer. I have a nice pair of loafers for summer. I really think I need a pair of dark brown oxfords to rotate with the suits. I was also thinking about a pair of dressier brown brogues. I feel like I can wear those with suits if necessary and rotate them in with business casual, blazers and trousers, etc. I was also thinking about monk straps here too, but not sure if I can pull those off.
    Am I on the right track here or way off? Are the brown oxfords redundant if I get the brogues? Anything else I should consider?
    Also, what is the rule on dark brown shoe? Can they be worn with anything other than black?
    I realize these are probably silly questions, but I do appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

15. YouWatchBleed

YouWatchBleed New Member

16. Murlsquirl

Hey @Patrick Sandy , try asking here http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/2070

Welcome to the forum, @keeno . Sounds like the brown oxfords are a good idea. They can be worn with just about anything black oxfords can; except for black tie. After that, I would look into a short wing derby. Monk straps are nice too, but they do get a bit of attention. If you don't think they will be an issue, they are a great option.

17. keeno

keeno Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help. Quick question on the brown oxfords: do you recommend plain captoe?
    Also, we just switched to business casual for the summer months and I really need to address that part of my wardrobe. Aside from a nice navy blazer and various color trousers, I really don't know what would be best to have next. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again!

18. Murlsquirl

I prefer brouged captoes, but plain are great for suits. Another blue jacket with a pattern would be a good choice after you have a proper navy blazer.