• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Levi's rigid jacket? (Type 1)

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a new jacket, but I've never seen it before:

http://www.levisstore.com/product/in...entPage=family

pLEVI1-3807771p275w.jpg

It is 100% cotton...I thought all Type 1 products were at least 14% polyester? And weren't Type 1's discontinued? What gives?

TYIA

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Type-1 stuff was pretty bad. There's something inherently wrong with putting polyester in jeans. I'm pretty sure it was axed a few years ago.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Type 1" is the first model of denim jacket Levi's produced - hence the name - many decades before the "Type 1" subline was created. This jacket is a reproduction of the first thing, not the second thing.

It's just a coincidence.

p.trick

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not that jacket is acually a new product, but it has indeed been released for the Fall 2007 line and should already be in stores. There is also a washed version in a medium-light blue with the same front pleats and lack of pockets. The rigid model resembles STF 501s in terms of color and stiffness.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so whats up with the pleats...do they "expand" just like in pants?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they expand a little for added movement. But as you see theres seams over them. An old design indeed.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
damn that's cheap

I have a type I 506xx jacket from the LVC collection's final run when they were made at the original SF workshop. IMO the coolest denim jacket ever. This one def has the look correct...I wonder if it has the buckleback as well?

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
"Type 1" is the first model of denim jacket Levi's produced - hence the name - many decades before the "Type 1" subline was created. This jacket is a reproduction of the first thing, not the second thing.

It's just a coincidence.

It looked to me though that this jacket has the oversized buttons of the Type 1 line.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
they expand a little for added movement. But as you see theres seams over them. An old design indeed.

*nods* I picked up a Gap jeans jacket last year with pleats that is more or less a copy of an old Levi's jacket. It was a great deal at 12 dollars on the clearance rack.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I saw a bunch of these at the Georgetown Levi store - they looked nice and rigid, but denim jackets were never my thing.....

p.trick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
This one def has the look correct...I wonder if it has the buckleback as well?

I didn't really take a good look at it, but I thought I saw a strap running parallel to the hem. It was displayed folded on its side so it could have just been one of those adjustable straps. I'll see if I can swing by on my way home today and check it out.

EDIT: I took a look at it and there was indeed the buckle on the back, each end of the strap secured by a copper rivet. One of the jackets I saw appeared to have series of numbers scrawled on the inside that were cut off where a panel ended, some in yellow and some in turqoise. Apparently pieces of scrap denim were used in that particular jacket's construction. Any input on whether or not this unique "feature" would be marketable?

crush

Reaction score
there`s also a jacket in pretty much the same design by cheap monday

Zazamoot

Reaction score
Here's Cheap Monday's: http://caliroots.com/system/search/product.asp?id=9308

I prefer the larger collar and lower pocket found in the Levis jacket.

I was going to snag one of the Capital E type 3's that are on sale at 75% off, but saw the type 1 and liked it much more. I don't expect the fabric and construction to be as nice, but I prefer the design. I'll decide if I want to keep it once it arrives in a few days.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
PC has a really similar jacket as well. I didn't realize the pleats were a repro thing, I thought they were just a detail they thought would look cool.

kapay

Reaction score
I actually bought this jacket in Las Vegas a couple days ago. It fits larger than normal so I'm hoping it'll shrink after a long warm soak. I asked 4 employees and no one could tell me with certainty that it's Shrink-to-fit but guesstimated I was correct in assuming it would be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads