1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New gap denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackdarkeye, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Ha, what I expected. Have you tried on the J. Crew chambray? I tried it on today and was extremely underwhelmed.

I tried on the bastardized outlet J. Crew chambray, I was not feeling it either. I had a nice MJK one for awhile that I liked, though I gave it up because it sucks wearing chambray in Florida.

2. mr. burns

mr. burns Well-Known Member

I'd say don't wash them. Just give em 1 inch single cuff. You won't lose much length when you wash for the first time. If you are really worried about that you can stand the the hems and pull up the waist to stretch them out after a wash.

they come with a 1" single cuff already. i cuff mine at about 2" because they are definitely a long 32. i think they measure the inseam 32" with the cuff, so with that uncuffed they're 33.

took mine in to be tapered. will get them back in a few days. told them to make the leg opening 7.5 [from 8-8.5 as they came] but might change that to 7.25 so that the cuffed opening is closer to 7.5 or a little smaller.

3. titaniumbolt

titaniumbolt Member

I tried on the bastardized outlet J. Crew chambray, I was not feeling it either. I had a nice MJK one for awhile that I liked, though I gave it up because it sucks wearing chambray in Florida.
    Meh, the J. Crew chambray isn't bad. Heavier material than the Gap and doesn't look nearly as cheap.

4. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Well-Known Member

I just got a pair of Authentic rigids, but it doesn't say it's Japanese denim anywhere. I thought all the premium-line and rigid Gap jeans were Japanese denim? Even the guy at the store said all the $88 jeans are japanese denim.

5. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

Meh, the J. Crew chambray isn't bad. Heavier material than the Gap and doesn't look nearly as cheap.

The fit is worse, though. See my GAP chambray thread. Although I suspect there are two (or more!) fits for the chambray, as my measurements are slimmer than others', and I am sure I am measuring correctly.

6. kontai69

kontai69 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I recently got these authentic fit selvage jeans (predistressed, the horror!) and have worn them a few times. I like them. They fit pretty good, not too baggy, not too slim. I ordered them in a 28 inseam, so it was nice not having to hem them. The denim is on the thinner side (compared to my APC NS) but is a little thicker than the non-selvage version, IIRC. The coin pocket is made with a "paper thin" denim for some reason.
    For those who are going to chastise me for not getting raw...I actually already have a pair of APC NS indigo and wanted another pair of jeans with a lighter wash for variety. The thinner denim is also a plus in hot weather.

Measurements (size 28/28)...
    rise: 9.5"
    waist: 30"
    leg opening: 16"

7. hypnos123

hypnos123 Well-Known Member

damn didn't know the coin pocket is so fugly...

8. uristocrat

uristocrat Well-Known Member

damn didn't know the coin pocket is so fugly...

yeah those pockets are gross...

9. uristocrat

uristocrat Well-Known Member

10. Fat-Elvis

I just got a pair of Authentic rigids, but it doesn't say it's Japanese denim anywhere. I thought all the premium-line and rigid Gap jeans were Japanese denim? Even the guy at the store said all the $88 jeans are japanese denim.

Anyone?

11. YoPete525

YoPete525 Well-Known Member

12. Fat-Elvis

The ones made of Japanese denim were marked as such and are from an earlier line:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=624550
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=624547

The $88 jeans from the new line are not made from Japanese denim.

Is there any real difference in quality? Kinda pisses me off when store employees don't know what the hell they're talking about......the guy at the Gap store on Michigan Ave in chicago told me all the $88 jeans are more expensive because they're made of higher quality japanese denim.

13. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

Gap is the worst! The employees don't know shit about shit. I called and this chick didn't know what the fuck was chambray was. I aslo asked about rigid jeans and they didn't know what they were either. Its funny how i know more about their own product than the employee does.

14. Fat-Elvis

Yeah when I went in there I asked about the rigid jeans and he didn't know what rigid meant. He had to go to the back to ask his supervisor or something, lol. He said they're never told what the different washes are so it's hard to answer customer questions about them.

15. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

what does "yarn-dyed" vs "washed" mean in the real world? does it have any major effect to the denim besides minor visual differences? http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=675335002 http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=691303 in the mood for grey denim and not sure which one to get. fit wise: they both have the same waist, thigh, and leg opening measurements, but the only difference is the rise, correct? the yarn-dyed looking kinda like chambray which is interesting. opinions? which would you pick between the two and why? thanks! also whats the difference between "gray" and grey"? same thing right?

16. JanC

JanC Well-Known Member

Do not all Gap stores carry the $88 jeans? Went to the local one and they didn't have any.

17. nonissue

nonissue Well-Known Member

Do not all Gap stores carry the $88 jeans? Went to the local one and they didn't have any.

No, not all stores have selvedge. I went to a store here when the new jeans were released, and they had some selvedge, went back a week ago and they were all non-selvedge.

18. mr. burns

mr. burns Well-Known Member

went to pick up my authentics from the tailor. instead of cutting the denim when tapering, she just made the selvage line like 3-4" wide at the hem. uhh, guess it'll be another couple days... think i'll stop by tomorrow morning just to make sure we're on the same page.

19. Fat-Elvis

So, does anyone know what the difference is in quality between the japanese denim they were using and the current denim in their $88 jeans?

20. IlBLaZel1

IlBLaZel1 New Member

i think these are good for the price.