1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Florsheim Kenmoors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JN41, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Well-Known Member

Buy vintage Florsheim...always - the quality is excellent and you can find a lot of different styles if you are patient. I'm looking to get rid of two great lightly worn pair that were too big (9.5D) if you're that size. [​IMG]

2. David Watts

David Watts Well-Known Member

There used to be a Kenmoor fantatic who posted here or at Andy's. Lived alone in a basement in Toronto, rode the bus, had a host of other issues. Haven't heard from him for many months. Anyone remember him?

Ah, the glory of Nexus6.

3. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Loake Royals as an alternative? Are they corrected grain?

4. Siggy

Siggy Well-Known Member

Comparison checklist

Todays Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor:
    • Made In India (Weyco/Florsheim insists the quality is not comprimised)
    • Double leather 360° welted soles (not as thick as the vintage model)
    • Leather/cloth interiors
    • Hardboard (compressed cardboard ?) footbed (ok comfort)
    • Slimmer hard rubber heel with rubber heel lift (no nails on heel but lifts are easier to replace)
    • Corrected grain upper (Chromium Tanned)(signifigantly thinner than the vintage model)

At $225 retail, todays Kenmoor is not even in the same price range.
    If you have many shoes in your rotation, and don't expose the leather soles to rain, snow, whatever, todays Kenmoor will last years & years.

Buying a pair today, you need not worry. For that price how can anyone expect Alden quality?

225 is still a lot of money to waste on crappy construction made in India. If I want cardboard footbeds and corrected grain crap leather, I will spend 50 dollars or less. Otherwise, just get some Made in USA AEs.

5. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Well-Known Member

Ah, the glory of Nexus6.

I forgot about that post.
    Thank you, I guess...

6. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

That was a truly disturbing poast.

Slight diversion but I finally saw the Duckie Brown Florsheims in person. They are pretty disappointing. I might buy them if they go on clearance at $150 or less, but for anything more they are pretty bad quality.

Agreed, although I like the design of the ankle boots a lot and would consider them at some reasonable discount from full retail (which is a ridiculous $385).

They're calf right?

Corrected grain, natch. I'll say this, however - I was able to do a side-by-side comparison with some made-in-India Grensons, and the Florsheim leather felt considerably better.

7. motorpsycho67

motorpsycho67 Active Member

Those Ron Rider longwings aren't bad...

Got a question for you vintage Florsheim guys....

Is there a way to authenticate vintage Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor Longwings?

I just purchased a pair of NOS black pebble grain Kenmoor longwings (9D) on eBay, but the insole and inner upper (?) are black leather instead of tan leather like my other vintage Kenmoors. Could this be because they're from a different era or place of manufacture? The soles on my old pair and the pair in question are the same; V-cleat heel and 5 nails on the waist. Are there good knockoffs out there? They seem to be high quality to me, but the color of the leather on the inside threw me off.

Help?