1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Dog - Changed Perspective

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IUtoSLU, Aug 9, 2010.

1. BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I always had big dogs growing up so when a friend's chihuahua had pups and my wife wanted one (for her son) I was like NO WAY!! Well we ended up with a pup and like most 11 year olds the son tired of her after about a week. She's 11 now and I love her to death!!
    My sister-in-law has a toy Chihuahua and I can't stand that dog but mine isn't your typical chihuahua she's about 10 pounds.

We also have a Mini-poodle and she's a fantastic dog. I've told my wife somewhere down the road I'd like to get a standard poodle as I've read nothing but good things about them. I'm kind of surprised how many people here have poodles.

Of my 5 dogs, long story, I would rate the Poodle and the Golden Retriever as the two best family dogs. My Chihuahua is a great dog but she's kind of cranky with kids.

Lots of people out there are not "dog" type people but I can't imagine not have a dog.

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

i cried like a 12 year old boy to Marley and Me.

So did I, first after reading the book and then after watching the movie.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I always liked dogs, but never really bonded with any of the dogs we had when I was growing up. When I graduated, and left the comfort and companionship that are college roommates, I figured I'd get a dog to give me something to do. I bought a Rottweiler, having been familiar with the breed (we owned Rotties when I was growing up), and it was uncanny how quickly we bonded. I hated putting the dog in a kennel when I would travel, so I started hiring in home pet care. I got many, many years of loyal companionship, and unconditional love from that dog, and when he died, going on 5 years ago now, I was crushed. Find the right dog, and magic can result.

4. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I've never understood the love that big men have for tiny dogs. Maybe its a protection thing. Weird.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Douglas: nice Yorkies.
    Love those little guys' personalities.

7. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

I want a shiba inu when I have a place that can support a dog.

8. Sherman90

Sherman90 Well-Known Member

I dislike dogs, but have been told by some of my wiser friends that this is simply because I've never owned one. I'm completely open to the idea.

FWIW, I walked a dog only once. It was a larger breed. Not surprisingly, I found the experience of being dragged around by a dumb, foul-smelling beast quite disagreeable - having to pick up after it was icing on a shitty cake.

I definitely love cats.

9. Douglas

I definitely love cats.

I have good news for you - you and your partner are now able to legally wed in the state of California. Congratulations!

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Says the guy with 4 of the girliest dogs in the thread.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Hung out with a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback over the weekend. Huge like 90lbs but trim, not fat, huge.

Makes me want a big, loyal, lovable, smart, and laid back dog.

*edit* forgot to mention that while the ridgeback was huge, it was still a beautiful dog with great proportion, coat, and has a perfect ridge (not always a given).

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I have good news for you - you and your partner are now able to legally wed in the state of California. Congratulations!
    This coming from the man with the gayest looking dogs on earth is quite the statement.

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I've never understood the love that some men have for large dogs. Maybe its a scat fetish compensation thing. Weird.
    Totally agree.

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
    Its bad enough looking for shit in one direction...

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

16. Douglas

Says the guy with 4 of the girliest dogs in the thread.

the irony was not lost on me, much as i'm sure the irony of you being the first to jump on this is not lost on you.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My four:

I'm a huge fan of terriers, and yours look terrific, but given their personalities and energy, how do you manage four at one time? My hat is off to you!

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

For the duration of my life, I've found dogs to be boring. My family never owned a dog when I was growing up and the only dogs I came into contact with were those of friends. Dogs always seemed like a crapshoot - some friendly, some that like to bite, some that growl a lot, and many that were annoying. I never really had a desire to buy a dog.

I'm still at this stage. Wife LOVES dogs and always had one growing up. She insists that once our boys are a little older (maybe 3 or 4), we have to get a dog. I'm sure it's a great idea and they would love the dog to death but I'm still not sure how that works in a NYC apartment with working parents.

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I'm still at this stage. Wife LOVES dogs and always had one growing up. She insists that once our boys are a little older (maybe 3 or 4), we have to get a dog. I'm sure it's a great idea and they would love the dog to death but I'm still not sure how that works in a NYC apartment with working parents.

Small one who is professionally trained very well. Lots of people in Korea have small dogs and everyone lives in an apartment. You can tire them out indoors pretty easily.

20. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

If you can pick it up with one hand it's not a dog. More of a mega gerbil.