1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Commission

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

I take it from that that their prcing structure is not very transparent?

What should I be paying for fairly typical SB 3 button plaid suit, brace buttons and side adjusters?

Should I walk away at a max of £200, and see if they fold?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Do research on their website into the prices paid by journalists and customers mentioned in articles. They will charge you as much as they can get away with. Also, I'll second Dr. B: know EXACTLY what you want.

Bring notes with all the details and structural elements you require. Also, try to get them to throw in a shirt or two if you aren't completely satisfied with the final price. I ordered 6 shirts from them and I'm very happy with them. Good construction, pattern matching, buttons, and collars.

Again, I can't stress how important it is to tell them EXACTLY what you want.

Depending on the material, I think you should be able to walk out of there with that suit for £200. They like to charge a premium for good fabrics. I'd come in at about £150 and take the back and forth from there.

Let us know how it goes.

3. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, this sort of practical advice based on experience is what makes me come back to this forum.

I will finalise my requirements this weekend, make a clear list and negotiate hard.

4. chorse123

Here are some pics of the garments I have from Raja. What do you think? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

looks great. The tan jacket especially is extremely flattering and has a nice silhouette.

You got a bargain.

6. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

Tan jacket looks nice. The pictures of the suit don't seem to indicate much of a silhouette.

But congrats on your purchase. Anyone who goes to the effort and cost of having things bespoke for them is alright in my book.

And thanks for sharing.

7. chorse123

Thanks for the comments. Any other opinions? I'll have to think twice about taking the time to post pictures in the future. Â [​IMG] I have to say, I think the pockets sit too low to the bottom of the jacket after the alteration, so I'll be wearing them tucked in, as they're double-besomed. (edited for clarity)

8. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I like the tan jacket a bit more than the navy windowpane. The tan jacket appears to have more waist suppression which I like and I'm not sold on the angle of the peak lapel on the navy jacket. That said, I do think the proportions of the trousers on the navy suit are well-balanced with the jacket and it looks quite good overall. It's hard for me to get a good sense of scale from the pictures so I can't tell if the jackets looks long as you mention.

The shirt is a little loose for my tastes but you may prefer it like that. Were it my shirt, I would ask for the sleeve circumference to be smaller to better fit my arm.

Thanks for posting the pics. Overall, it looks to me like you got some great value for your money.

dan