1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Armoury Store in Tribeca

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grammaton Cleric, Jul 2, 2013.

1. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Yes, big win for the Armoury and not so much for my wallet.

2. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

What are your store hours?

3. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who's a little puzzled how they can afford these lavish locations? I don't have anything against them, but I dropped by their HK shop once and it just seemed like a few kids hanging around socializing, and a very limited stock.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

they've been at this for quite some time, and the owners are pretty smart guys with a good background in business and the industry they chose to be in, plus their HK location might seem that way when you visit but afaik they serve a pretty huge market that goes beyond hong kong... I think they have enough coin to pay the rent :)

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

There's that word 'artisanal' again. Never heard or read it in my life outside of menswear retailers' blurbs.

Ambrosi making an appearance? Isn't that the bloke who ripped off Foo for ten grand's worth of strides? I hope they have bulletproof glass!:foo: + :fence::nest::stirpot::slapfight::deadhorse:

6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

They're backed by the Li & Fung group - the same guys who just bought out Kilgour, Hardy Amies, Gieves, etc.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

He still has NYC customers? After the :foo::foo::foo::foo: incident?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

What I found absolutely hilarious / absurd was that in the last Ambrosi thread, despite the pages upon pages of complaints, there were several posters still inquiring about Ambrosi's contact details, and implicitly blaming problems on overly exacting SF'ers.

You know what they say about suckers and minutes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

What's even more amazing to me is that there really is nothing all that magical about his product (certainly not worthy of the sometimes absurd commentary found on this forum).

Fwiw, I think Mina Adamo makes a better pair of trousers.

10. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Well-Known Member

I heard that Hermes has been in trouble since :foo:'s green wallet debacle.

11. JeffArmoury

JeffArmoury Well-Known Member

Hey poorsod, store hours will be Mon - Sat, 11-8. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out to us at nyc@thearmoury.com.

12. acidboy

you haven't encountered a coffee snob your whole life? :)

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

No never. I didn't know they existed but I suppose you can get silly about anything - cars, guitars, watches, wine, cigars, coffee, thousand dollar trousers.

(I've never drank coffee and I've never been to Starbuck's!)

14. NMW1982

NMW1982 Well-Known Member

Yea, I think the Armoury is mainly targeting big timers for whom money is nothing more than a number. People who live in places like the new 432 Park building. It's difficult to make money from smaller timers like me who are worried about getting the best value for their money and have to actually think before making a purchase.

I've seen Chinese and Russian businessmen go shopping and they drop hundreds of thousands of dollars like it's loose change. It goes something like this:

Oh, I like these Gaziano & Girling shoes. I'd like to go bespoke and I'll take just 8 pairs for now. I also want the Ring jackets in every color you carry and throw in some shirts, ties and belts too.

These are the customers that the Armoury and every high end retailer wants and needs. Not customers who go, hmmm...should I buy this $700 pair of shoes? Let me think...let me save up and treat myself during Christmas...uh oh...I have to return these shoes. My wife is getting on my case.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  15. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see if the Armoury carries jackets and suits that are a bit taller and fuller for the classic American build. Perhps Longs that are equal to a US regular in length?

16. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

Stopped by on Saturday and was delighted to see the ArmouryNYC crew and Mark. Was pretty packed so didn't get a chance to try some things on. Definitely saw a lot of 50+ sizes (jacket/suits). Many casual pieces such as Gimeno Tebas and Ring Jacket knits. Prices were fairly reasonable, imo.

17. JeffArmoury

JeffArmoury Well-Known Member

Hey Conrad,

Our apologies if you weren't able to try on everything that you would have liked to. If you find yourself downtown soon stop by and we'll make sure to set some time aside for you.

Jeff

18. acidboy

why so bitter?

19. NMW1982

NMW1982 Well-Known Member

Who says I'm bitter? I'm just pointing out that a lot of people on Styleforum have an inflated sense of self importance. Attempting to predict the success of a high end retailer based on whether you yourself would buy their goods. Well guess what? High end stores don't care about you unless you're one of their VIP and news flash, buying a few pairs of shoes, some suits and shirts don't make you a VIP! Especially when there are many people who buy 100 times this amount. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  20. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Long before I heard it in menswear, joining or superseding the terms "custom" and "bespoke", it usually referred to comestibles like cheese or rustic apparel
    items made by crafts people and sold at arts or craft fairs. In other words, not refined.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013