1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Armoury Store in Tribeca

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grammaton Cleric, Jul 2, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

quick someone go get a job at the new #menswear #nirvana #nyc?

2. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I have just the man for the job

:foo::foo::foo:

3. rob

rob Well-Known Member

Cool. I love paying full retail and thumbing it in the nose of Ricky dink online retailers.:D

Rob

4. oshinex

oshinex Well-Known Member

Are we nearing the backlash portion of the cycle??

5. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

-- Pre-Buzz: Ring jacket
    --------------------- Buzz: Armoury
    --------------------------------- Rave Reviews: Carmina
    --------------------------------------------- Saturation Point: Giorgia Armani
    --------------------------------------------------------- Overhyped: Gucci loafers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------- Backlash: Brooks Brothers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backlash to the Backlash: mafoofan

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

It's an affluent part of town but I would have recommended opening in Soho, Flatiron, Chelsea, etc. Higher density of their target demographic, i.e. yuppies in their 30s. Wish them success though, most of the recently opened #menswear boutiques blow.

7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Disagree. I live in Tribeca and there seems to be more $ here than in the areas you mentioned, aside from SOHO, but that's the "model" crowd.
    Tribeca full of bankers, money guys -- etc etc.

8. oshinex

I also live in Tribeca and $=/= taste. Although Im excited that Armoury is opening up shop a few blocks from me, I feel that they would have benefited more with a location in midtown.

9. oshinex

I thought everyone knew that the Armoury was a front for the Hong Kong Triads. :confused:

10. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Well-Known Member

They will be fine here. We have the same crappy mixed use laws in TriBeCa as in the rest of nyc to deflate commercial rents (see for example the dismal store they are taking over). There is no shopping here but edon manor, the high end women's accessory store that opened a few years ago is probably the best proxy and appears to be doing ok. And Conde Nast is taking a million square feet of office space in 2014.

I hope they implement a bespoke shirt program. We already have ascot Chang and would really benefit from some great bespoke options.

11. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I'm aware of the wealth in Tribeca. It's a very nice neighborhood. It's just less densely populated than the other neighborhoods, has relatively less rental property, and generally appeals to older people. It's also not a shopping destination or somewhere people hang out on weekend afternoons, nor is 168 Duane in the middle of a business district. There's a reason why it's not a popular location for trendy high end clothes stores.

12. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

I think it's a smart locale for all the reasons mentioned, plus the parking. A trendy store like the Armory is a destination in itself, imo. Stores like that don't depend on random foot traffic or population density. It's word of mouth and a specific clientele generated via buzz. Looks at whats happening right now, we're talking about the store opening and they've yet to finalize or advertise in any way.

I work on the corner of Broadway and Prince (Soho) and often have lunch @ one of the million cafe's on Mercer, etc. Most folks I observe shopping at the super high end luxury boutiques arrive by car, very very few walk in off the street, and if they do, they usually don't buy. Just my opinion of course. But being I Tribecian, I am of course biased.

1 person likes this.
  13. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

and now they're partnering with the Neapolitan camorras :lol:

14. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Looking around the Armoury site, there's not a whole lot that interests me.

$760 for Carmina cordovan? Maybe

$1750 for Ring jacket linen suit? No (especially when you could get a custom from Chan for this)
    $1300 for a linen navy jacket? No
    $195 for Drakes ties? BIG No
    $375 for denim? BIG No
    $260 for Smedley merino knits? BIG no, they're selling these above retail

Then again, I have a well rounded wardrobe already, and I don't have unlimited funds

1 person likes this.
  15. oshinex

:facepalm:

16. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Why is this a facepalm?

As a SF denizen, shoes are pretty much all they have that appeal to me on the site.

(*That linen suit was $1750)

17. oshinex

They have much more at their stores than what's on their website. Plus both Chan and Drake are part of their operation. So it's just their prices that doesnt appeal to you and not their products?

18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I qualified my statements. ("As a SFer")

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

It would be awesome if this discussion was carried out in the Armoury affiliate thread. I remember when yfyf (Mark) was posting as a WAYWRN poster, and I remember when I refreshed the screen and I was introduced to the Armoury a few years ago with that thread.

Say what you will of their merchandise, if it is or isnt for you, thats your choice, but their ascent to the where they are now from that first post has been nothing short of extraordinary and I am extremely proud of them. Their successes in obtaining Ethan, the Drakes deal, and all their vendors have been documented in that thread, and I think opening this NY location should be as well. In 5 years time when they are in Tokyo and Sydney (speculation, of course), we can all look back on this discussion too.

My .02c.

2 people like this.
  20. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

Is Leathersoul Hawaii also opening a store in NYC?