• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Networking Tips

KPO89

Reaction score
Networking is probably the most important part of salesmanship and I'm trying to learn different tips and tricks for becoming better at this art since I'm heading into the field of marketing which inevitably includes some form of sales. I've heard several ideas of keeping long term files such as a Rolodex and I've often heard positioning yourself in a room is important; all of which are wonderful ideas.

What are your tips?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A basic one, but one that's very important: memorize faces and names, and use the names.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
Be able to handle your booze

I make a habit of always handling it...not to sound self-righteous but that is so unprofessional to over indulge at a business location.

Originally Posted by Teacher
A basic one, but one that's very important: memorize faces and names, and use the names.

Dale Carnegie said it the best when he said that a person's name is the most important thing in the world to them for that is the one thing they completely own.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Dale Carnegie said it the best when he said that a person's name is the most important thing in the world to them for that is the one thing they completely own.

You raise an important networking point. Never mention you read Dale Carnegie unless you're at a meeting about Dale Carnegie.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's often said that asking people questions about themselves almost always will leave a good impression, because people love to talk about their life. It's not as easy as it sounds though, it often looks transparent and mormony when I try to do it.... I guess the questions have to be more thoughtful and specific rather than 'how is business going?' I also try to prepare to be talkative myself should the other person be quiet or less-responsive... it's important not to get the akward silence thing going, even if you have to fill it with your own chatter.

A tip from the Japanese is to show your keen interest in them by repeatedly nodding your head in agreement and saying 'yes' or 'huh' (not "hai"
laugh.gif
) as they speak... I can't tell you how many people I know just stare off into the distance or frantically look around as I try to talk to them.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You raise an important networking point. Never mention you read Dale Carnegie unless you're at a meeting about Dale Carnegie.

Really? Why is that? People feel exploited perhaps?

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
It's often said that asking people questions about themselves almost always will leave a good impression, because people love to talk about their life. It's not as easy as it sounds though, it often looks transparent and mormony when I try to do it.... I guess the questions have to be more thoughtful and specific rather than 'how is business going?' I also try to prepare to be talkative myself should the other person be quiet or less-responsive... it's important not to get the akward silence thing going, even if you have to fill it with your own chatter.

A tip from the Japanese is to show your keen interest in them by repeatedly nodding your head in agreement and saying 'yes' or 'huh' (not "hai"
laugh.gif
) as they speak... I can't tell you how many people I know just stare off into the distance or frantically look around as I try to talk to them.

That is quite annoying when someone is asphyxiated on a wall ornament while you make a well thought out statement.

Anybody have any key "ice breakers" they prefer to use?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
It's not as easy as it sounds though, it often looks transparent and mormony when I try to do it....

And a new word was born!

laugh.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read a book called "Never Eat Alone" that I thought was OK. It was not about this cheasy cliche networking stuff but how to be genuine and take an interest in people.

I think the important thing is not to think about it as networking but getting to know people and establish relationships. Also, the biggest part of the game is being a resource for them, not the other way around. That will come.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Do you know how much a polar bear weighs?

"Enough to break the ice"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That is quite annoying when someone is asphyxiated on a wall ornament while you make a well thought out statement.

I hate when people choke on things while I'm saying smart things to them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Really? Why is that? People feel exploited perhaps?

That's my take, although I might say "manipulated" rather than "exploited". You're basically signaling to the other person that your expression of interest in them might be more about networking than genuine interest.

My sugggestion would be to really try to bridge that gap. Get yourself in the habit of engaging with, and finding the interesting things about, other people. If you're naturally reserved, this may take some practice -- but it's kind of a muscle memory thing. The more you do it, the more natural it feels.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That's my take, although I might say "manipulated" rather than "exploited". You're basically signaling to the other person that your expression of interest in them might be more about networking than genuine interest.

My sugggestion would be to really try to bridge that gap. Get yourself in the habit of engaging with, and finding the interesting things about, other people. If you're naturally reserved, this may take some practice -- but it's kind of a muscle memory thing. The more you do it, the more natural it feels.

Manipulated is a good word for it. And LD is exactly correct about what you're broadcasting. People want to think you're talking to them because you want to talk to them, not because talking to them is a means to your (personal and hidden) end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads