1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Netbooks?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by farfisa23, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

the answerisyes

read this thread - it has a ton of awesome information...

I am just stuck with the not having a DVD drive, and the smaller size. I think for me, personally, I would be better off with a 10-12" notebook with internal DVD. Oddly, the prices, even for the used ones, are still as much if not more than these netbooks, so some reconsidering is in order.

2. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

I am just stuck with the not having a DVD drive, and the smaller size. I think for me, personally, I would be better off with a 10-12" notebook with internal DVD. Oddly, the prices, even for the used ones, are still as much if not more than these netbooks, so some reconsidering is in order.
    I got my S10 today (am currently typing on it) and I'm very impressed.
    USB thumb drives are now up to, like, 64 GB...you can store a few DVD's worth of data on each one if you're interested in watching movies or accessing large files on the go. I'm officially a big proponent of netbooks.

3. adversity04

adversity04 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be worried about the DVD situation. All it takes is a little bit of preparation before you plan on taking the trip or whatever you want to watch the movie for and you'll be fine. If you have access to the internet you also have access to the likes of hulu for watching TV.

I also love netbooks, I'm in my kitchen cooking and doing homework before class - so easy to move around with them comparatively to larger notebooks.

Sony also has a 12.1" machine, I think, that has a built in DVD drive. Costly though.

4. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-Known Member

No DVDs is fine... you can download videos to watch easily!

CompUSA has the S10 (not s10e) for $299, add 2 gig stick of ram for a total of $321.98. If you call they will give you free priority shipping.

I just bought an S10E for similar price a few days ago for $300 with an extra 1 gigs of ram. Going to see if I can get rid of it on CL for what I paid...

5. Cavalier

After using a Lenovo S10 net book for about two weeks, I don't think I could ever go back to a large bulky laptop.

I am still getting used to being able to type as fast as I could on a larger laptop. But really when does that matter unless you're trying to be a professional typist secretary in which case you wouldn't be using a net book anyways

I went back to a thinkpad and it just seems so unreasonably large and unclunky...

I am totally sold on netbooks. Can't wait to see nicer quality netbooks. The Lenovo is already but obviously not built to the quality of an IBM Thinkpad

6. nerdykarim

me too. love the s10.
    it is absolutely incredible.

have you put more ram in it yet?
    i have a 2gb chip coming in a few days.

7. Steggy

Steggy Well-Known Member

After using a Lenovo S10 net book for about two weeks, I don't think I could ever go back to a large bulky laptop.

I am still getting used to being able to type as fast as I could on a larger laptop. But really when does that matter unless you're trying to be a professional typist secretary in which case you wouldn't be using a net book anyways

I went back to a thinkpad and it just seems so unreasonably large and unclunky...

I am totally sold on netbooks. Can't wait to see nicer quality netbooks. The Lenovo is already but obviously not built to the quality of an IBM Thinkpad

I don't know. Portably I love my asus since i don't notice it in my bookbag when i go to classes, but I will still bring my thinkpad if I need the power or certain application.

or i DID still use my thinkpad...until my battery just shit the bed the other day. now my thinkpad is stationary until i round up some money for another 9 cell.

8. Cavalier

I don't care about DVDs because I would never waste all that money to watch a DVD movie on the go. Way too easy to get all the things you want to watch for free IMO.

You can get a USB DVD burner for installing programs, etc.

Yes I did add more ram, a 2 gig stick. The computer only recognizes 2 gigs, but it's a huge improvement. Especially if you run XP. These computers are a drag with the 512 IMO.
    I believe these S10's are very soon going to be old technology so stay on your toes, I can see these S10's going cheaper-- and do not buy the S10e. I got one and immediately sold it.

95% of laptop users can get by one of these netbooks unless you had super big hands. I got mine doing all kinds of cool things that could entertain me for very long trips.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Well-Known Member

me too. love the s10.
    it is absolutely incredible.

have you put more ram in it yet?
    i have a 2gb chip coming in a few days.

I was looking at the S10, why do you love it so much and what made you choose that one?

I was looking at the new HP MINI 1000 Mi with their version of Unbutu.

did anyone with an S10 look that the HP1000? I am going to buy something this week. I have a lot travel coming up soon.

10. Cavalier

The HP is nice, but I preferred the lay out/construction of the S10. It's no Thinkpad in terms of quality though!

11. nerdykarim

I was looking at the S10, why do you love it so much and what made you choose that one?

Sorry, I just noticed this. Honestly, mine was a bit of an impulse purchase. I didn't look closely at any other models, but I read a lot of reviews online, made a decision, and I'm happy with it.

I also use a T61 and I'm pleased enough with Lenovo that I stayed with the brand.

12. Steggy

Steggy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just noticed this. Honestly, mine was a bit of an impulse purchase. I didn't look closely at any other models, but I read a lot of reviews online, made a decision, and I'm happy with it.

I also use a T61 and I'm pleased enough with Lenovo that I stayed with the brand.

Well i'm not sure about that. I heard that the t61 was the last thinkpad IBM produced and lenovo basically stuck their name on it, the models thereafter are true lenovo computers. I've heard the newer thinkpads have been lacking too.

13. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Well i'm not sure about that. I heard that the t61 was the last thinkpad IBM produced and lenovo basically stuck their name on it, the models thereafter are true lenovo computers. I've heard the newer thinkpads have been lacking too.

I bought a x61s 2 months ago and it's the same quality as my 3 year old T42.

14. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

The T61/X61/R61 are the last truly-IBM Thinkpads. Somewhat off-topic, but if you've got a Netbook and need an external optical drive to go with, I'd recommend this one. A DVD burner the size of two jewel cases and draws all its power through the USB connection. http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/d...=SE-T084M/RSWD

15. Steggy

Steggy Well-Known Member

Ah, I knew it was something along the lines. any of you guys have the ibm badge on your 61 series thinkpads? [​IMG] don't mind the OS, it was so bad i ended up running right back to vista(it has its problems, but compared to mac osx...eh)

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Ah, I knew it was something along the lines. any of you guys have the ibm badge on your 61 series thinkpads? [​IMG] don't mind the OS, it was so bad i ended up running right back to vista(it has its problems, but compared to mac osx...eh)
    Haha...I just noticed that. The badge simply states Thinkpad on my X61s. (I believe mine was entirely made by Lenovo, as it was produced in December 2008.) Nothing to complain about the quality, though, except that the fan runs a little louder than my 3 year old T42.

17. sloane3

sloane3 Well-Known Member

HP 2140 looks good no?

The 2133 had a crap processor. New model looks good. Seems like it's better built than the usual plastic toy netbook.

[​IMG]