• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netbooks?

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steggy
everything but the photoshop screams netbook to me. photoshop does require a better processor than most netbooks have(photoshop likes at least a 1.8 where netbooks either have a 900mhz processor or the 1.6 ghz atom processor) however i think you could get around that if you got ahold of "portable photoshop" which i've gotten to run on terrible terrible computers.

Agreed.

Although if you're not going to get Atom processor, you have other possibilities, such as making your own portable rig. You can get a micro-atx motherboard with a built in processor, put 512 MB-2 GB of RAM in it, make an enclosure, add a touchscreen monitor and keyboard. And if you're planning on going the Linux route, you can always grab a linutop/zonbu, attach a touchscreen monitor and keyboard. Before netbooks came out, I was considering doing that, or just getting a notebook.

Anyway, I'm a bit hesitant with Dell. I haven't bought a computer before (just make my own), so I can only rely on other people's experience. From what I hear (and have had to fix), Dells should be avoided at all costs.

Steggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
By the way guys, check out Dell Mini 12 - just launched, pretty small and slim even for a 12 incher, starts at $500, but you can get it with a larger battery (promising 6 hours) for $599... Still categorized as a netbook, comes with a pretty big keyboard and xp. Probably a good choice if it's your only system.

i don't know, when you get to that big of a screen(big is used loosely though), it seems like it would be worth it to me to just get a regular notebook at that point, since i could get beefy specs at that size. i was even skeptical at the 9 inch asus eee pc, but i remember how much screen real estate was wasted on the 7 inch, and saw the minute size difference.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
Although if you're not going to get Atom processor, you have other possibilities, such as making your own portable rig. You can get a micro-atx motherboard with a built in processor, put 512 MB-2 GB of RAM in it, make an enclosure, add a touchscreen monitor and keyboard. And if you're planning on going the Linux route, you can always grab a linutop/zonbu, attach a touchscreen monitor and keyboard. Before netbooks came out, I was considering doing that, or just getting a notebook.

Sorry, but none of this makes sense to me. Do you just a few models taht you could recommend that fit my needs? SOunds like it would be a netbook, but IS it possibly to run photoshop on there? IS that the only thing that would be pushing up to notebook range? If so, I could do without.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what happens when you try to run Photoshop on machines like these? Do they crash? or just run slower?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
So what happens when you try to run Photoshop on machines like these? Do they crash? or just run slower?

Slower. There's just not enough under the hood to power the beast that is PS if you're doing any kind of serious work.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So can you up-grade a netbook then? What specs are you looking for exactly? or is it just wiser to get a notebook?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
So can you up-grade a netbook then? What specs are you looking for exactly? or is it just wiser to get a notebook?
It seems for your needs, a notebook would be best.

You can find some pretty good prices, if you spend time researching or catching sales.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you could do it on your computer a few years ago, odds are you will be able to do it just fine on a netbook.

My eeepc 1000H is a normal computer, just in a smaller box. I put in the 2gb ram upgrade and sure the processer isn't as fast as a modern desktop but its going to watch your youtube videos just fine. Photoshop runs great and other than for complicated filters, does everything about the same speed as it does anywhere else. If you are willing to photoshop on a tiny, uncalibrated screen, you are probably willing to wait a few more seconds...

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
For one, you're walking around with a badge saying "I'm a broke student / hausfrau who bought on price who knows nothing about computers".
This is just ****-ass wrong.
I'm in my 60's and could probably buy and sell you six ways to Sunday and I've got an Acer Aspire One and when I whip it out from the felt pocket I had tailored into my Chesterfield, nobody in the hot spot thinks I'm a broke ass student. Though I wouldn't care if they did, since I was one once. Niche snobs abound. (That would be you). To the rest of you posting here who are considering a netbook, just buy one. If you don't like it, take it back. Mine was $240 w/tax delivered (after 30% Live Cashback). And it's really swell.​

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Netbooks are great if all you do is word process, surf the web and email. i'm a more sophisticated computer user, but most of my needs are sufficient for a netbook.....I'll probably pick one up.

Question for those that have a linux netbook....is it a ***** downloading drivers? What about using the web for ASPs? I'm big with online services.....I think the XP version is much safer for me....

Considering an Acer, Dell or Lenovo...the samsung is nice but a little more expensive. It does have bluetooth which would be pretty nice.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
This is just ****-ass wrong.
I'm in my 60's and could probably buy and sell you six ways to Sunday and I've got an Acer Aspire One and when I whip it out from the felt pocket I had tailored into my Chesterfield, nobody in the hot spot thinks I'm a broke ass student. Though I wouldn't care if they did, since I was one once. Niche snobs abound. (That would be you). To the rest of you posting here who are considering a netbook, just buy one. If you don't like it, take it back. Mine was $240 w/tax delivered (after 30% Live Cashback). And it's really swell.​

Niche snob?

Sir, I will have you know I am a much broader snob.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Question for those that have a linux netbook....is it a ***** downloading drivers? What about using the web for ASPs? I'm big with online services.....I think the XP version is much safer for me....

I've been a linux user for years, usually keeping linux on my laptop with windows on the desktop. My eeepc 1000h has one of the cleanest linux experiances I have ever had on a laptop. I used it for a while with the stock linux that comes with the non-h model (I found a torrent of it) but now that the computer has been out for a few months, there is a custom kernel and set of acpi scripts for ubuntu that make it work great. No driver hunting, just install the kernel and scripts and its all working fine.

Web stuff pretty much all works, though I think silverlight stuff may be an issue. Flash and java work and of course anything server side (asp, php, etc) is going to work. XP works fine on the machine as well but, I would guess that on most netbooks you can trim down linux to be faster with the limited resources.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx

I used Linux on and off from 2001 until 2002 and then fully committed to Linux. From what I've read, the biggest driver issue you'll have with Linux is wifi. Since I've never owned either a notebook or netbook, I have no personal experience with this. However so far on my desktop, I've had a slightly better driver experience in Linux than in Windows. For the most part, you don't really have to worry about drivers, although you can always check the hardware compatibility list for peripherals. You can also check Open Printing for your printers. For scanners you can check out SANE's database.

As for your asp question, are you coding in asp or just using websites with asp? If it's the latter, it doesn't matter what's on the server side, since they always output to something a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera or Chrome, will be able to interpret. It's pretty rare that there will be something that's required only one operating system will have, such as ActiveX.

As for Silverlight, Microsoft made an agreement with Novell so there would be an open source solution. I believe it's called Moonlight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads