1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Neil Young

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Sep 1, 2007.

1. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

JC: Ringo was the solo singer on Act Naturally. Also, on With a Little Help from my Friends and Yellow Sub. I can't recall the others right now, but those predate The End by several years.

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

JC: Ringo was the solo singer on Act Naturally. Also, on With a Little Help from my Friends and Yellow Sub. I can't recall the others right now, but those predate The End by several years.

I mean drum solo. "The End" (or, more properly, the medley thata ends Abbey Road) contains the Beatles' only released drum solo. Listen to it, it's a little bit sad and hesitant. Reminds me of an uptight Meg White.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Helpless is an amazing song.

For people who are NY fans, I highly recommend the soundtrack to Jarmusch's Dea Man. As I understand it, he composed it essentially by plugging in with a screening of the film running in front of him and playing what came to mind. I'm sure it was actually a bit more structured than that suggests, but it's a good story and a great soundtrack.

4. Joel_Cairo

I'm sure it was actually a bit more structured than that suggests, but it's a good story and a great soundtrack.

I'm frankly not so sure there is more to it than that. Young has done some pretty avant shit: making a song slandering Southerners, putting out "Welfare Mothers" (if you've never heard it, you haven't lived. LEAST PC EVER), his showtuney album, rerecording his hits in a form so drenched in feedback and noise as to be unrecognizable and then releasing it as a double LP, much to the chagrin of his label, etc, etc etc. I really wouldn't put it past him to literally plug in and doodle along with the movie in one take, no cuts. Especially considering that the movie consists, in large part, of Johny Depp drifting down a river in a canoe.

5. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

JC: OK. I actually never thought much about how many of their songs had drum solos. Come to think of it, I don't remember too many RS drum solos. And Watts has always been considered to be a much better drummer than Ringo. Could have been because when they started out, drum solos were extremely rare, maybe nonexistent. One of the first big songs with a long drum solo was Cream's Toad. Quicksilver had drum solos on their Happy Trails album.

6. Joel_Cairo

JC: OK. I actually never thought much about how many of their songs had drum solos. Come to think of it, I don't remember too many RS drum solos. And Watts has always been considered to be a much better drummer than Ringo. Could have been because when they started out, drum solos were extremely rare, maybe nonexistent. One of the first big songs with a long drum solo was Cream's Toad. Quicksilver had drum solos on their Happy Trails album.

right, but by the time the Beatles were recording Abbey Road, John Bonham and Keith Moon were both blowing the doors of places.

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Neil is in the process of issuing some very old live recordings from his archives. So far one 1970 'electric' recording w/ Crazy Horse at the Filmore East, and a nice 'accoustic' set from 1971 at Massey Hall. These are killer! [​IMG]

8. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Better you go play your fantasy games. I'm afraid music appreciation is not your strong suit. [​IMG]

Am I the only one that thinks neil young really, really

SUCKS?!

9. Oldboy

Oldboy Well-Known Member

His performance of Helpless in The Last Waltz is [​IMG]

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Conne:

Two Words

The Eagles

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Conne:

Two Words

The Eagles

Stevie:

Two Words

Even Worse

edit: of course you would like them you damned hippie. [​IMG]

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Better you go play your fantasy games. I'm afraid music appreciation is not your strong suit. [​IMG]

But trolling is! I like some older music, but neil young is teh gheyn3ss. Now Jussi Bjorling on the other hand. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm trolling because i'm upset. I just got back from my spanish class (which ends at 10:45.. bleh) and it's a huge disappointment. I was convinced there would be hot chicks in it (there are always hot chicks in spanish classes) and there isn't a single one I'd want to fuck. I ended up partnering with a guy =/

13. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I ended up partnering with a guy =/
    How shocking.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

How shocking.

not really. the ratio is like 3:1 guys/girls and the girls were all cows.

15. Steve B.

And what did they think of you Mr. Misogynist Pig?

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

And what did they think of you Mr. misogynist pig?

That I was dead-sexy, of course! I was wearing white linen pants and a white shirt under a beautiful baby blue with white square-dot cashmere borrelli sweater. And of course my socks matched my sweater! [​IMG]

edit: Plus, they don't know i'm a misogynist yet. [​IMG]

17. Steve B.

That sounds like a great ensemble. Do college kids get that, or is that off-putting? Just curious...

You know you could always try a Star Tek convention for women. I hear they're wild like Band Camp Babes.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

18. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member

if connemara likes neil young and i like neil young, does that make me gay?

19. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great ensemble. Do college kids get that, or is that off-putting? Just curious...

You know you could always try a Star Tek convention for women. I hear they're wild like Band Camp Babes.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I "overdress" (if that's what you could call fucking chinos and an OCBD) occasionally at school, and every time someone's like "YO OLD MAN" or "Why so dressed up?"

Whatever.

20. Steve B.

I was talking to the Geek, man. Don't get your panties in a twist.