1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Need new casual (designer) slacks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Aug 26, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking around for nicer slacks - something to wear out on dates and such - nothing too dressy. However, I've been unlucky with finding something that looks and fits decent.

As far as the fit, I would like something that is flat front, slim-cut and fits over a substantial part of my shoe. Not a full-on bootcut, but I'd like the bottom of the pants to cover about half my shoe.

The slacks I have found (and currently own) seem rather narrow at the bottom. Almost as if they taper in a bit. I wear an 11.5 shoe, so most of those slacks make my feet look bigger than they are.

I have a pair of Kenneth Cole NY pants that fits perfectly - it's exactly what I'm looking for - slim fitting, and flares nicely a bit at the bottom. Unfortunately, the quality is low. I'd like something nicer.

I doubt that Zanella, Incotex, etc. will fit the bill - I'd probably have to look for designer brands. Can anyone please suggest some labels to look for?

BTW, I'm a 31x32 or 48-50EU, and I would like colors such as stone, beige, black, gray, and charcoal.

2. rsp1

rsp1 Well-Known Member

Have you checked out Helmut Lang or Jil Sander? Their styles probably fit what you're looking for exactly - simple, slim, flat-front dress slacks.

3. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I like the collections from both of these designers - clean, simple, and classic. Do you know if the slacks would be narrow throughout, or would they flare a bit at the bottom?

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

YSL, and Gucci both make the type of trousers you look for. Every season.

5. rsp1

rsp1 Well-Known Member

6. MikeF

MikeF Well-Known Member

The quality isn't brilliant, but Hugo Boss has one model of slacks - very common in my region - that fit exactly like you describe. Some Armani Collezioni flat-fronts fit similarly.

7. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I really like the pants by Jil Sander, as well as the YSL slacks. Both are very elegant.

Some of the Hugo Boss slacks on ebay are nice as well, especially for the price. More in my range than, say, those Helmut Langs for $250 on Bluefly. Hopefully there will be some left when the markdowns start.

8. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

Don't rule out Incotex. I bought a pair of black wool slacks that's pretty fashion forward: slim cut, flat front, five pocket cut (actually a negative since I hate five pocket pants). I'd wear them a lot if the tailor I took them to hadn't made them unwearable by hemming them an inch and a half too short [​IMG]

9. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea that Incotex made slacks in this style. I'll give them a look.

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

how about Armani?

take look at his colleczioni pants collection?
    I know people like crease on their dress pants .. but i love these Armani splatzzo (spell?) style pants - no crease, cylinder cut (straight).. creates such a wonderful drape that no other slacks can.. Get noticed by ladies A LOT..

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Try Costume National (on Yoox. Never use Bluefly unless Yoox doesn't have it or you are looking for a domestic (US) brand.) IMO, better cuts and materials than HL or JS. My go to pair of date pants (back in the day - and I was always a little leery about going out with a girl who wasn't most comfortable in jeans) are a pair of grey moleskin Costume Nationals - slim through the butt and thighs, and with the perfect bootcut to go over my Prada or Costume National boots.

12. Oltmann

Oltmann Well-Known Member

As a reminder, Yoox pants sizing is your European size minus 10 if it has (USA) by it. If the number has (JNS) by it then is in inches.

13. rsp1

rsp1 Well-Known Member

Could you clarify that please? Using these Costume pants as an example (per LA Guy's suggestion). http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 Yoox shows that a 38 (USA) = 48 (IT). Does this mean that if the "true" label is 48 IT, that converts to a 38 (USA) which = a 38" waist? I have a hard time believing that a label like Costume, which has a 54 IT available, would even manufacture a 44" waisted garment. Thanks.

14. Oltmann

Oltmann Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You have to figure out your European size (which you can see on the link in my first post.)

The (USA) size that Yoox lists is completely useless.

A 38(USA) 48(IT) actually has a ~33" waist.

A 44(USA) 54(IT) actually has a ~38" waist.

15. rsp1

rsp1 Well-Known Member

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Look for a pair of Theory pants. They use unbelievable fabrics that are insanely comfortable, with a nice drape and stretch. I have a pair of flat front, black slacks that are by far my favorite pants. Too bad I don't wear them often. The bottom is bootcut as well, but not too much to the point where they look flared.

17. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

Some other (not too expensive) brands for casual trousers you should look into:
    Reporter
    Pal Zileri
    CP Company
    Kenzo

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I've been disappointed in Theory for about 3-4 years now, but some of their wool/stretch pants are terrifically cut. Not worth it at retail, but definitely worht looking at at discount. Their pinstriped pants can be amazing.