1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stook1

stook1 Active Member

BC, just to clarify, were you talking about the bi-color grenadine that I'd asked about or the more traditional solid burgundy? Also, about the bi-color, since you have something similar, do you feel like it shows as a solid tie unless you're really close to it? Trying to decide if it is simple enough to pair with a pattered suit and/or shirt or if it is a little too busy looking to pull off that look.

2. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

With your coloring, I think a traditional dark burgundy is the safer choice. I've never seen the bi-color Wang tie in person, so it's hard for me to speak to that. My hober is this one: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/dark-purple-black-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-35.html

It shows as being solid unless you're close, but more resembles a deep purple than a deep burgundy. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with a patterned suit or shirt.

3. stook1

stook1 Active Member

It sounds like the tie I was referring to might be closer to this one: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-g...urple-black-grenadine-grossa-silk-tie-35.html

I could be completely wrong and as I write this it seems counter-intuitive, but it looks from the pics like the grossa looks less bi-colored than the fina, which I think I prefer. In terms of the color, I have a woven silk burgundy tie already that I enjoy wearing, which is a very simple pattern. I'll think over the more purpleish option.

4. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

Stook1,

It can be hard to tell small details from photos on the internet. In real life the fina is tighter than the grossa and the weft and warp silk yarns blend together better.

The warp yarns are the long ones and run the length of the looms and the weft yarns run across the warp yarns and give the pattern details

5. d4rkiez

d4rkiez Member

For both the 8-fold and 4-fold options, do the folds extend all the way to the neck portion? How many folds would there be if we were to pry open the tie at the neck?

6. House of KYDOS

House of KYDOS Well-Known Member