1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Neckties: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

WillingToLearn,

A good point about stretching - unfortunately stretching is more of an art than a science as there are a number of variables.

1) Grenadines are a loose weave and do have a tendency to stretch - some stretching can happen the first time that you wear it and more stretching can happen over time.

2) The more you wear a tie the more likely there will be stretching.

3) Tying a tight knot tends to increase stretching.

4) The longer a tie is the more that it will tend to stretch. As an example a 64 inch tie will stretch more than a 57 inch tie all things being equal other than the length.

5) Some men do not change their grenadine tie length and are very happy with little or no stretching. While others need to shorten their grenadines by an inch and others by two or even three inches.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

David

Have you noticed some wool ties tending to stretch as well? I have sold a few of my wool ties and when measuring them, find that they are often longer than their manufacturer listed length.

3. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

Tweedy Prof,

All ties stretch to some extent - in addition to the variables listed above - the looser the weave all things considered the more a tie will stretch.

The stretch that you notice could be from how you wear your ties or it could easily be a variance in how the tie was made and have nothing to do with you.

Or it could be a mixture of the two.

4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

This is likely not your target market. Skinny ties with extremely loud "F you" designs are generally not well regarded here.

Fwiw, I like SOME of the bow ties, and find them far more tasteful than the neck ties, but them made as pre tied (if I misread the offerings, please let me know) bows is a complete nonstarter for me.

I think you're best served going after a younger, hipper crowd than SF.

5. muleties

muleties New Member

I appreciate your feedback, the intention is not sell our products here but only learn from what is happening for fashion with our neckwear and fashion. We a working on launching a new line of neckwear more geared towards the business crowd (less loud) along with more self bow ties to our line. We have been selling a lot to our specific avatar in Canada and the United States and now we are working on expanding the business.

I am here to learn from the community and provide valuable content.

6. Jay Suave

Jay Suave Well-Known Member

Any feedback on Cordone1956 ties? I remember reading a thread where someone tried their bespoke services way back when, but I don't hear much about them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

What is your budget and where do you live?

8. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Well-Known Member

Get them bespoked made with also handenmbroided initials.

1 person likes this.
  9. ericgereghty

Like what? What could be more special than something made exactly for you?

10. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Maybe a tie with the word "special" actually on it?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  11. ericgereghty

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. House of KYDOS

House of KYDOS Well-Known Member

We don't have any tie saying "special" but we create limited edition ties :satisfied:

13. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Well-Known Member

Like what?

Examples?

Limited edition would be always inferior than bespoke, also bespoke is 1/1.

14. UrbanTraveller

UrbanTraveller Member

I love ties and all accessories, too bad so many view a tie as a formal thing to wear and not something for everyday, casual mode.

15. House of KYDOS

Limited in the way that only you and 32 other worldwide, will be wearing one of these ties ever, as we do not make the same tie ever again. Wouldn't you agree that this is pretty unique and "special"?

Paris

16. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. raindog

raindog Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

I'm recently into Gordon Gekko type of look (yes, I need to intimidate some people at work, disgusting as it may seem - of course, I'm trying to do it with my actual knowledge and skills, but clothes can help, too). What kind of tie would you sport with a classic power suit (double breasted navy pinstripe?) and a white shirt (I have recently ordered a Winchester shirt - blue with white collar and cuffs, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it).

I'm thinking purple polka dots seven fold, but what other colour/pattern can do? Light blue with large contrasting prints? Navy with large contrasting prints? Or solid purple perhaps? Satin, twill, grenadine?

Regarding the "limited edition" thread:
    as far as I know, in Europe there is perhaps a dozen (although I would guess even less) of prestigious silk weaving plants; they have limited capacities. Even if you order bespoke from a top-notch tailor, with top-notch fabric, you are likely to find the exact same fabric in an RTW tie. If you want something truly unique, you should perhaps ask a weaving plant to make a fabric especially for you - that should be possible, but costly, or extremely costly, if you only want the amount for one tie... You should perhaps look for a piece of vintage silk?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  18. House of KYDOS

Dear flvinny521,

I trust you noticed all over the SF site that we have a long and professional advertisement running

Other than that, we are happy to discuss with you anything on ties

Paris

1 person likes this.
  19. House of KYDOS

True, it's hard and expensive to have limited edition fabric. We make limited edition ties, but we have also limited edition fabric made only for us. Now if another weaver sits down and make a copy one..... I don't know what to say. But here is an example of one of our fabrics that cannot be found elsewhere :bigstar:

[​IMG]