1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Necessary items for the modern Dandy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Tibor

Tibor Well-Known Member

Silk plush top hat with a pronounced bell curve.
    [​IMG]
    I agree with mild manners, a true Dandy is always a gentleman first.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Well-Known Member

Damn, some of you guys are pretty old fashioned in your ideas of the Dandy! I figured the Modern Dandy would have somewhat modern adaptations of style, not quite crossing the line into "period costume" from the early part of the century. I think more along the looks of Hamish Bowles than the monacle-sporting/ cigarette holder forumite I spotted here once or twice.

I could be mistaken but I think Hamish has carried a cigarette holder occasionally. A cigarette holder isn't necessarily antiquated like a monocle.

3. dv3

dv3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tibor, this is amazing! So is she [​IMG]

4. Dewey

Dewey Well-Known Member

modern dandy needs a laptop, an always-on internet connection, and a quality camera to take pictures of himself.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Respecting your opinion, I do beg to differ, and stand by my words. Yes the clothes, ofcourse. But what good are they without a proper gentleman underneath them? A Dandy 'poser', nothing more. Manners are still the icing on the cake I'm sure you'll agree. Also a working knowledge of what he is wearing and why. Protocol. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure what you mean by manners. A dandy would probably be interested in good form, self restraint and poise. The original dandies were all about beautiful speech and being the personification of the high life. I doubt that manners in the American, self conscious, middle brow sense of the word come into play. In any case, one can be a gentleman without being a dandy. I think I understand what you're saying, that if you are a Cad, then you are not a true dandy but rather, a trickster. Which brings me to a related point. People often asscoiate the dandy with old fashioned clothes because they cannot understand the more important life style and attitude of the dandies. If anything should be copied from the past, it is their attitudes and not their clothes. The clothes the dandies wore were cutting edge, not retro. HOW they wore their clothes, immaculately clean and fitted is indeed important but not the specific items they wore in the 19th century. A dandy would not ask other people what he should wear or which items would be a touchstone for him to metamorphose into dandyism. This might be that "poseur" you brought up. And no dandy would wear a Top hat with a day suit.

6. Tibor

Tibor Well-Known Member

The pants are white, I was inspired by RLPL show of summer 2008.[​IMG]

7. carl_paris

carl_paris Well-Known Member

8. Eccentric

Eccentric Well-Known Member

I'm just not sure a modern man can call himself a Dandy if he doesn't have a BDSM dungeon hidden behind a bookcase.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

megarespect

10. barims

barims Well-Known Member

Which brings me to a related point. People often asscoiate the dandy with old fashioned clothes because they cannot understand the more important life style and attitude of the dandies. If anything should be copied from the past, it is their attitudes and not their clothes. The clothes the dandies wore were cutting edge, not retro. HOW they wore their clothes, immaculately clean and fitted is indeed important but not the specific items they wore in the 19th century.

A dandy would not ask other people what he should wear or which items would be a touchstone for him to metamorphose into dandyism. This might be that "poseur" you brought up.

And no dandy would wear a Top hat with a day suit.

^ This. I couldn't have put it better myself (well, I might have if I was online earlier)

And God knows how many such poseurs abound. Especially those with an internet connection

11. Tibor

Tibor Well-Known Member

Barims you have one of, if not the most unique and original style on Style Forum. Some might see it as Dandyism but anyone with a brain could tell it is natural and fresh. i get very inspired by what you do on a daily basis.

12. vitaminc

vitaminc Well-Known Member

Narrow lapels and collar stays seem very un-Dandy to me. A Dandy isn't afraid to fap.

FIFY

13. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

A dandy is never scared of being different...

Labelking is a real Dandy and Barims..They're exquisite anachronisms...

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Don't forget whnay.. He's easy to forget because he is so small, and often is missed in the shadows and when there is a low lying fog.

- B

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Don't forget whnay.. He's easy to forget because he is so small, and often is missed in the shadows and when there is a low lying fog.

- B

Whnay is a bigtimer.

16. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Well-Known Member

you know, if that jacket had narrow lapels it might be pretty cool. Reminds me of Etro.

Where do you see any lapels? Still, I love that jacket very much.

17. barims

barims Well-Known Member

Barims you have one of, if not the most unique and original style on Style Forum. Some might see it as Dandyism but anyone with a brain could tell it is natural and fresh. i get very inspired by what you do on a daily basis.

Thank you, T. Seeing as I post pics on a weekly basis at best, I think you may be overstating my "influence" a tad. This basis usually works as I'm out and about only a few times a week, but having broken my already substandard camera, I rely on any nearby snappers

I find the notion of what constitutes a modern dandy fairly, if not totally, interesting. What The_Foxx says about "somewhat modern adaptations of style, not quite crossing the line into "period costume" from the early part of the century" works for me. As someone living in a city with Royal Ascot and morning dress for weddings, I don't find top hats, for example, utterly antiquated (merely occasional), whereas the folks with the handlebar moustaches and the overarching tweed fetishes aren't necessarily my cup of tea sartorially

Thanks, L. I've no real intentions of laying personal claim to dandyism; I believe it's a total package that I certainly couldn't wholly commit to. It also requires total elegance and as I type, instead of a silk robe and velvet slipers, I have on a knit jumper and some old, scruffy slacks - home zone clothing

I like what Manton wrote at Dandyism.net about being "a clothing only dandy," although even that to me is cheating somewhat. Still, he has a certain chic simplicity

Incidentally, that "Who's The Dandy?" series is a lot of fun and thought in spite of the ever present nastiness. It's interesting seeing the one with a friend of mine from almost 2 years ago - the photos used are embryonic of the more creative and refined manner in which he now dresses

18. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Barims , do not forget that Dandies are always laughed at to start with.

A Dandy is an artist.You need vision ,creativity ,self-confidence and a certain dose of narcissism mixed with raw sensitivity.