1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA Offseason Thread - Update: Rasheed Wallace to Boston

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jun 25, 2009.

1. DDSJohnny

DDSJohnny Well-Known Member

because rubio is going to the knicks via trade for david lee (who hill will replace) and some other junk and 2010 #1 pick

that makes a lot of sense for both teams.

also heard that curry might be going to the suns alongside bellineli, wright, and someone else for amare.

2. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

3. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I guess the Vince Carter move was somewhat good. Hedo has sent his notice that he will opt out of his contract. His playoff/finals performance and last season will get this man overpaid but I do like Hedo so I don't mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4288680

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

F*cking ungrateful soccer fan, you. In American sports it's common for teams/players to get a 2, 3 year grace period after winning a championship. Not everyone is as spineless as Sir Alex Ferguson who sells out the best players at the very peak of their careers.

Anyway I strongly disagree that Kobe is already in the declining phase of his career. Just that he doesn't have to play 1 on 5 basketball every night now that we have Gasol, Odom, Ariza..

who do you like more, the lakers, or kobe? i like him as much as the next guy but the team comes first. if they wait until he's old they won't get anything for him. if they move for lebron as a free-agent, kobe will still be young enough to get a couple of decent players for him in a trade.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

6. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

who do you like more, the lakers, or kobe? i like him as much as the next guy but the team comes first. if they wait until he's old they won't get anything for him. if they move for lebron as a free-agent, kobe will still be young enough to get a couple of decent players for him in a trade.

Post like this shows you know next to nothing about the NBA. A couple of things:

1. Because of the salary cap, restriction it's almost impossible for the Lakers to go after LeBron while still have Kobe on the roster. If they trade Kobe first, then they risk losing out on the LeBron sweepstakes and end up with nothing. Not to mention LeBron's outsized ego would prevent him from joining a team w/ Kobe or even joining the Lakers, which would make it look like he's following Kobe's footstep/

2. Kobe has a no-trade clause on his contract. He can veto any moves, and DID just that when Mitch Kupchak agreed on a deal with the Bulls.

3. Teams "get next to nothing" for players with expiring contract all the time. Again, it's not fucking soccer where there's a huge incentive to get rid of expiring contracts by selling them for massive monetary sum.

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

Post like this shows you know next to nothing about the NBA. A couple of things:

1. Because of the salary cap, restriction it's almost impossible for the Lakers to go after LeBron while still have Kobe on the roster. If they trade Kobe first, then they risk losing out on the LeBron sweepstakes and end up with nothing. Not to mention LeBron's outsized ego would prevent him from joining a team w/ Kobe or even joining the Lakers, which would make it look like he's following Kobe's footstep/

2. Kobe has a no-trade clause on his contract. He can veto any moves, and DID just that when Mitch Kupchak agreed on a deal with the Bulls.

3. Teams "get next to nothing" for players with expiring contract all the time. Again, it's not fucking soccer where there's a huge incentive to get rid of expiring contracts by selling them for massive monetary sum.

i said in my initial post that i don't know the rules, that's why i'm asking. the salary cap, as far as i know, only causes a luxury tax for the owner, it would not keep him from spending gross amounts of money if he wanted to. so i think they could bid for lebron, sign him, then dump kobe. and i don't think kobe would object to a trade if lebron showed up and the lakers made a big thing in the media about the lakers wanting kobe gone.

and i don't see why lebron would not want to join the lakers. kobe and shaq followed kareem and magic who followed wilt and west. players come and go and lebron is a professional. he's going to go to whoever offers the best $$$ contract and chance of success.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

There's a soft salary cap in which if a team goes over they get hit with a luxury tax dollar for dollar. Having Kobe and Lebron on the same team would mean there would be 2 max contracts which would probably eat up about 75% of the salary cap. Because of this and roster limits, it's hard to trade players since the roster limit and cap both have to be considered.

The reason why everyone is speculating Lebron going to NY is because they're one of the few teams with the cap room to sign him to a max contract and NY>>>>>>Cleveland.

9. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

LOL. Whacked always says someone doesn't know anything about a sport when they disagree with him.

10. whacked

LOL. Whacked always says someone doesn't know anything about a sport when they disagree with him.

[​IMG]

Maybe. But I've argued with matadorpoeta on other things and knew he's more of a soccer person.

11. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maybe. But I've argued with matadorpoeta on other things and knew he's more of a soccer person.

Can you tell me how my Wizards are going to do next year??

12. whacked

Can you tell me how my Wizards are going to do next year??

I suggest you save your passion for the Redskins instead. Even when they lose, you at least know that Snyder tried.

13. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

I suggest you save your passion for the Redskins instead. Even when they lose, you at least know that Snyder tried.

What?? We've got a new coach, Gilbert will be back and now we've got Foye. That's has to be a winning combination!

14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Yeah but Butler and Jamison will probably get moved. Their determined to win so that is a good sign but Haywood needs to be healthy for the team to be successful and I don't think Arenas will ever be the same player as he was before the injury. Getting Mike Miller and Foye is a good move but Miller struggled last year (maybe being a 6th man will him improve?) and Foye is better suited as 2 guard than a point so hope that Arenas can be the same PG he was before, although I can't see him chucking up half court shots and making like it was nothing like before.

15. whacked

Miller struggled last year

That's an understatement.

They should keep Caron Butler though.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

That's an understatement.

They should keep Caron Butler though.

My fault, dude tanked. I thought he would be able to pick it up mid season but it never happened. Although I like Butler, I think they are better off with Jamison. He is a big man (somewhat) that can take the ball in and shoot the 3. If Miller can provide half of what Butler can bring and spread the floor, plus with Foye and Arenas on the court, Butler will seem the odd man out of him and Jamison.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

The Wizards' trade was pretty baffling. They need a point guard (Arenas is more of a shooting guard) and some inside muscle. They worked out Jordan Hill. Maybe they thought Hill or Jonny Flynn would be a reach at #5 and that Rubio wouldn't be available?

18. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

yes the thinking was that rubio would be gone. it will fuck everyone cause looks like rubio will stay in europe for 1-2 more years

19. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

rubio would have been great on oklahoma city holy shit! knicks made a good pick
    ^[​IMG] OK City whiffed on that pick. Rubio, Green, and Durant would have made one of the best backcourts in the league. And what the fuck was with Minnesota taking three point guards?
    Rubio said publicly that he didn't want to play in OKC. I find the trades much more interesting than this year's draft. Griffin's career is now ruined by the Curse of the Clippers and Thabeet is the league's next Shawn Bradley. The Spurs and Magic just upgraded their teams in major ways through trades. In addition to the trade for Richard Jefferson, the Spurs got Dejaun Blair in the second round to cushion their loss of Oberto. IMO, Blair will be this year's Paul Milsap or Chris Smith, a vacuum cleaner on the boards. Jefferson can do a bit of everything. He's a bigger, stronger version of Sean Elliott (I guess I'm showing my age) and is a great fit in San Antonio. The Spurs could still use a legitimate center IMO, but they're much more competitive than last year. The Magic now have a player who can slash to the basket and score at will. They need a backup point guard after trading Alston, but the Magic really improved themselves with the trade for Vinsanity, even considering the lost of Turkoglu. I'm also not so down on the trade of Shaq to Cleveland as the ESPN talking heads were last night. IMO, Shaquille and Joe Smith make a serviceable 5-4 combo, as do Ilgauskas and Varejao. Shaq clogs the middle, while Smith shoots mid-range jumpers and the same is true if they play Varejao and Ilgauskas together. All while King James does his thing, Mo Williams shoots 3s, and Delonte West tries to defend shooting guards who have 3+ inches on him. If this is the Cavs' roster heading into the season, Green and/or Eyenga need to step up and provide some defense at the 2-3 positions. It's shaping up to be an interesting off-season and I'm already looking forward to next season(!). Edit: dopey, the Knicks are still moving together in the same direction. I predict a championship for them sometime within the next 40 years.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I prefer Hedo over Carter any day. Carter is ok but he chucks up too many shot. He will be shooting 18-20 shots a night and cannot distribute the ball well. For this trade to work well, Carter has to learn how to drive and drop pass to Howard once the help comes and he'll be filled with assist, IF he can do it.

In other news...