1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Has anyone caught a recent Pistons game? I'm finding this 7-game win streak very interesting. It bodes well for SVG and his young cadre of players. It bodes ill for Josh Smith. I remember a few years ago, philadelphia fans clamoring for him and instead we got Elton Brand. Both would've been bad, although at least Brand was a class act around the city.

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband cuz they shuttin' down errbody outchea

3. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

You mean Melo?

Bescua I think Mamba is still gunning for Karls number.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

melo for sure, kobe maybe as well, there've been rumors.

kobe is surprisingly not shooting for malone/jabbar as hard as i thought he would. publicly he's said he doesn't care about it at all and that he's gonna retire after next year, and he's passing a ton more recently. pretty shocking to me, given how he started the year.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

My sense is that Kobe doesn't really consider any historical benchmarks other than MJ interesting or relevant.

6. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I watched last one vs Dallas. Jennings and Augustin outplayed Rondo. Rondo was terrible, throwing shit passes whole game.

Brand was overpaid but he was good. Not sure what went wrong he was beast with Bulls and Clippers. nothing Josh Smith ever did could touch Brand best years.

7. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

here's a cool article on the hawks rebranding themselves and doing the exact opposite of what the owner's leaked email desired. that is, they're taking an L on the baseball fan demographic and solely advertising towards blacks and millenials down here (tinder swipe right!!). you can really tell when going to the games. i was kind of honestly surprised when there was a white family of 4 behind me last night.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12080830/reselling-hawks-atlanta

that's pretty inspiring in its own way. definitely preferable to gunning for records and being a gloryhound.

re: kobe, i just read this article on grantland that is pretty in tune w/ what you're saying. no interview or anything, but it's well-written and i liked it. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wolf-on-the-rock-the-ludicrous-glorious-doom-of-kobe-bryant/

8. Neo_Version 7

Read that Grantland article this morning.

TL;DR version is basically as accomplished as Kobe is; in 10-20 years, he won't be spoken in the same regard as the Dirks, Duncans, Magics

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

But is he worth a max contract?

10. Neo_Version 7

Let's wait and see. That new TV deal is set to kick in next year.

11. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

exactly. he has/had one yardstick his whole career. i think it's really cool how he's adjusted his game ... on those nights when he can still actually get it going.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say this but I feel bad for Kobe. He should just retire. He's still got the ability to be great at times and score in bunches, but he's a dinosaur and can't contribute to a winning team. It's not clear to me that he would make any playoff team better at this point because he doesn't know how to be a complementary player.

I believe that his top priority is winning, I just don't think he knows any other way to get there other than the way he's always done it. I would have a lot more respect for him if he just said - I gave it everything I had and there isn't a championship in my future so I'm retiring.

13. Neo_Version 7

The Kobester has 50 million reasons to keep chucking up that ball.

14. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    and when you watch the attendance at road games where the lakers are playing, you'll see the nba has an investment in keeping him playing as well. artistically, he's on his last legs, but financially he's still a big draw.

15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Moderation... please keep an eye on max contract talk. Max contracts are mentioned too often for my personal comfort.

16. Neo_Version 7

Ninja edit fail. Not surprised. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  17. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Gotta love those Knick fans,

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member