1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

and no one to commiserate with :lol:

Unbelievable the Lakers won. I didn't see the game so perhaps it was more like the Dubs losing, but a "W" without Kobe is hilarious.

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Seven guys in double figures and no one took 25 shots to get there. Final score wasn't representative of the game. Was a blowout.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Varejao out rest of the season with torn achilles.

JSmoove going to Houston, supposedly confirmed. He clears waivers at 5pm est today.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Cavs should've prepared for this. They need a backup center and some wing defenders so bad

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I hear Josh Smith may be available.

6. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

So where does HOU rank in the West now with J-Smoove? Still not better than Memphis or Golden State, imo, but the 3-seed looks to be theirs for the taking now. Portland is good, but I don't think Lillard can maintain this level of play for much longer...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Josh Smith is the antithesis of the Rockets' spacing and analytics strategy. I guess they think they can rehabilitate him or he'll make good trade bait once they clean him up.

8. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Well, I think they'll utilize post play more now like the Grizzlies do with Marc Gasol and Z-Bo. J-Smoove is perfect for the Z-Bo role, as long as he knows to never step outside the arc on offense...

9. indesertum

I don't really think it's the opposite of their strategy. As a general concept threes and layups are better than long twos but each player has their own toolkit that they're good at. Rockets have selected players that generally fit into the concept but like last year they can play off concept too. Also threes aren't the only way to create spacing. Grizzlies create spacing predominantly by smart cutting to suck in defenders and passing the ball well. Rockets like four out cuz it's easier but two in can work well too. just needs adjustments.

Also hoping somebody can help his shot but I highly doubt he's coachable at this point

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

The problem is that he insists on burning a high amount of his usage on the worst parts of his game. Your point is valid but everything you mention is exactly everything he's not good at. I think he's a very talented player but no one's ever been able to get him to fucking stop. He needs to take all his shots inside the paint and he'll be just fine. Problem is, Howard lives there so I don't see how this is going to be different than Detroit

11. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Also, I see a lot of similarities between the composition of this Rockets team and the Lakers team that won back-to-back championships in '09 and '10. Both teams are built around a superstar SG (Harden / Kobe) and quality big men (D12 and J-Smoove / Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum) with a solid wing defender (Trevor Ariza on both teams -- I remember he hounded the crap out of Hedu Turkoglu during that Finals series). Obviously, this is best case scenario and I'm assuming that Josh Smith regains his Atlanta form, but I think that's very plausible since he's playing with his childhood friend in D12 on a team that can make a run at a championship.

Realistically, though, yeah, still not better than Memphis or GSW.

12. indesertum

I do mostly agree with you, but I'm kinda hoping that the rockets will be able to turn smoove into a rudy gay like story with the kings where the usage decreases and he's able to find more efficient shots. i also think they might use smoove like asik and not use him and dwight together that often. jones and montejunas can play the stretch big

but yeah. like i said i dont think he's that coachable, but then again both grizzlies and raptors weren't able to really get gay to change, but he changed once he got to the kings

also IMO there really is no top contender right now. The top 7 teams all have a very very good chance of a title this year. I think mavs (my 8 pick) have to solve their defense issues first and foremost but everybody else has extremely good teams.

right now i would put warriors, OKC, and grizzlies in the top tier and just below that clippers, portland, rockets, and spurs. but extremely close between the tiers although maybe clippers are at the end of the second tier with their defensive issues. OKC and spurs will probably not have home court advantage, but regardless they're extremely dangerous. the first and second round exits from last year reupped either with new agents or simply with a better team meshing and key contributions from unexpected places like draymond green with warriors and courtney lee with the grizzlies and danny green with the spurs. or bench players all of a sudden looking like they'll be extremely good come playoffs (eg OKC, rockets)

playoffs are going to be last year times a hundred. the predicted contendors aren't doing that well (bulls, cavs). the underrated teams of last year are doing so well with key wins over WC teams (hawks, wizards, raptors)

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

He'll be fine (and the rockets will get a steal) if he just stops being hardheaded. There was one season in Atlanta - playing with two paint men in Horford and Shelden Williams - where he decided he was going to listen and never shoot threes. Those were the times he was an all star and a borderline first round fantasy pick

14. indesertum

remember when he was considered baby lebron?

what happened to that dude

15. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

NBA has been really exciting to watch this year. It's great to see a lot of talented players and competitive teams playing sound basketball. I remember not even bothering with the Lakers's last 2 championship runs despite rooting for them back when it was Kobe and Shaq.

1 person likes this.
  16. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

(west coast) nba been incredible this year. east coast...not so much lol. i'm actually somewhat excited to go to some hawks games in the 2nd half of the year. usually i just go for the visiting team but atl's taking it to some good teams so far (lac, cleveland).

varejao's contract extension they signed earlier this year was a dumb idea then and it's even dumber now. 3 years $30M wtf.

17. indesertum

I don't think it was that bad of a deal. Same reason as Bogut really. Just in hindsight injuries should've een a bigger concern

I really like watching Hawks this year. Really like the whole team down to Schroeder. Also raptors. They're hungry. They want blood. And they're young

18. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

really? i disagree. varejao is 2 years older (32) and maybe one of the few bigs that has a worse injury history than bogut (or at least equal). more than that, though, he hasn't shown a history of being a top-tier rim protector. bogut at least showed that when he was healthy w/ golden state last year, they gave andy that contract 2 months after the season started, when they were playing bad defense.

besides, a lot of people though that deal was too much for bogut, because of the injury risk.

19. indesertum

yeah i dont think really realized how much rim protection they need, but otherwise varejao's been really good on offense and not terrible on defense and i think they really valued vets and glue guys

1 person likes this.
  20. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

Carmelo + 4 white guys means Carmelo gets to shoot every possession