1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Lebron should have joined the Lakers, just so I could laugh at your newfound sweet love for him :p

3 people like this.
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

:embar: i got the dates wrong

also totally forgot about the late 50s to early 70s celtics where they won like 13 championships in 19 years. bill russell holy shit....

but of course jet would point out they lost 6 times...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. jet

jet Well-Known Member

would never want LeGarbage on the lakers but would've been great for all the asshat laker haters then huh? hahaa

4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

Deng 2/20 Chalmers 2/8 good signings they probably give wade 2/30 2playoff years and then and they flexibility in 2016/2017
    they are close to signing birdman too

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

anyway any of you guys playing basketball yourself?

6. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I try and play as much as I can on the weekends. The weekdays are too busy for me.

7. indesertum

I play pickup games a lot. Been thinking about joining a rec league but not too sure how it works

8. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I play occasionally.

BTW, while all this Lebron/Melo crap has been happening, did anyone notice that the Rockets got substantially worse than last year :confused:

1 person likes this.
  9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

^same here I play a lot of pick up games

I played in some rec leagues and imo it's well worth the money, if you're on a team with people you can stand outside of the court than it's great fun

I suspected many of you would play given some heated discussion that took place here hah

10. indesertum

How'd you find people to play together? Just friends you convinced to join a rec league? Or do they assign you to a team? Do you guys practice ever?

I think coaching kids would be fun but I have like no credentials lol

11. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

First two teams I was on, I organized them myself. I just called people I knew/played pickup with. I quit leading them both after 3 and 2 seasons respectively. Gathering money/organizing skirmishes assuring you have a lineup each time is a bit of a headache and it wore me down both times.

Now Im playing on 2 different teams where I can just focus on my game more(not managing minutes etc) and I think I prefer it that way. If you have friends who play on rec teams ask them to come and play with them when they play skirmishes(most ppl i play with/vs rent a gym a play skirmishes once a week). It's good to target weaker teams first so you can get a lot of playing time. Attend skirmishes and if you're good enough someone will ask you to play.

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Coaching kids is fun and typically the only credential is that you are willing to do it. Of course, dealing with the parents of the kids you are coaching, that is a whole different story. Think about every disagreement you see on here about players/teams, now imagine having those arguments with the parents of a 10 year old with their 10 year old being LeBron/Durant/Kobe in their eyes and the dad being Pop/Riley/Jackson in his eyes.

2 people like this.
  13. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

I think you mean scrimmage and not skirmish. Unless that is when your team is assembled you frequently get into fights with the Taliban or whomever.

@jet used to play in a few leagues, but he got kicked out of most of them for shattering backboards after vicious "Chocolate-Thunder" style dunks.

Also, how concerned should Laker fans be that they still don't have a coach. That has to be a bit of an issue in terms of attracting free-agent talent, no?

1 person likes this.
  14. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i think this weekend i officially became a clippers fan. not because the lakers are likely to be worse next year than last (hard as that may be to believe). I've stuck with them since Showtime, with some really bad seasons. But because they don't seem to have a clue what's happening. Letting Gasol go without even getting a draft pick for him is just the last straw. It's like we're in some reverse universe where the Clips have this really great, charismatic coach, terrific young talent, and keep making all the right moves, while the Lakers have a bunch of D-leaguers surrounding two over-the-hill superstars and no prospects of getting better any time soon ... and even those, they've shown no sign that they can even put together a feasible plan.
    So, how about Blake and DJ, huh? And, seriously, adding Farmar and Hawes was a great move. Hawes will give them the 10 minutes a game of basket defense they need spell DJ.

15. indesertum

Seriously tho hawes and farmer great additions. Delonte is also part of the clippers summer league. I am a happy man

16. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:He's not American, so it's just different terminology. I've heard Europeans use the word "skirmish" in that context, as well. Also, article about the Lakers head coaching vacancy: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ight-coach-for-la-lakers-whats-taking-so-long Byron Scott basically has the Lakers head coaching job locked up, but they want to get their FA situation worked out first (which isn't working out too well...). But since the Lakers are the only team with a HC vacancy, they can afford to wait around as prospective candidates aren't going anywhere.

17. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Byron Scott is terrible. Why is Kobe endorsing this guy? The only reason this guy is employable is because of Jason Kidd.

18. indesertum

Byron scott was one of the ageing stars at the lakers that mentored kobe when he was a rookie straight out of high school

19. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Roster for Team USA training camp in Las Vegas in preparation for the FIBA tournament is set.

http://www.usab.com/mens/national/14_mnt_las_vegas_camp.html

19 players who will duke it out for 12 roster spots. Just by looking at the names, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Kevin Love, and Derrick Rose are locks to make the team (D-Rose better sit this one out like Russ Westbrook to make sure his knees are good to go for the NBA season, but whatever...). They all have prior Team USA experience, either during the 2010 FIBA tournament or the 2012 Olympics or both. After that, I'd say Blake Griffin, Paul George, Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard make the team for various reasons (defense, ball-handling, shooting, etc.). The last 2 spots are up in the air for the rest. I'd take DeMarcus Cousins because he's a beast, but not sure if Coach K will put up with his maturity issues and shit (Andre Drummond makes for a great replacement, though). Guys like Kyle Korver, Klay Thompson, and Kenneth Faried don't stand much of a chance, IMO.

Also, interesting that there are no 7-footers on the roster...I guess it's small-ball all the way.

20. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Kawhi Leonard isn't on the roster. Seems like the ideal type of player you'd want for FIBA style basketball. Don't really see the need to have both Lillard and Kyrie.

Edit: Klay makes a lot of sense too. Shoots well and plays both ends of the floor.