1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

I think it's mainly the fact that there are a bunch of franchise players potentially on the market. Also nobody knows how much money they exactly want, so that's why you keep hearing about how much money teams have.

This is also something that the NBA and owners specifically aimed for during the last CBA negotiation during the lockout. They wanted more player movement and structured contracts to spur more movement and (indirectly?) make it actually harder for small markets to keep their franchise players like Kevin Love.

So a bit of both. Last year I don't think you saw it as much, mainly because of available FAs, but maybe also because offseason interest in the league is constantly growing.

It's so tough because everybody basically wants the SA method, where you play all these crappy young guys a lot during the season, even if they don't deserve it, and you get them experienced and confident to play a role in the playoffs. But then you figure you also want to win all the games you can and get home court advantage. The Spurs are the only team who can manage minutes that way and yet not sacrifice any wins. It's incredible.

Also Fisher wasn't even an average defender any time in the past few seasons.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Yeah fish was never a good defender at okc. He couldn't keep the opposing 1 or 2 in front of him. He did occasionally provide a scoring punch from the bench but few far between.

I agree tho that it's hard to keep a player on the floor that's consistently not performing well in hopes that he'll get better

3. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

Like the Lakers making $100 million last year, AFTER paying $49 million in cap penalties? (buried here)

Fish always had a reputation as a lousy defender, even in his prime. Of course, there aren't that many great defending PGs right now, but he was problematic.

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

IIRC this is going to be the first season when the repeater tax kicks in for teams paying the luxury tax

5. Brothersport

Oh I meant how much money under the cap or luxury tax. But that's crazy. I saw some tweets re: how frustrating is it gonna be hearing the owners talk about how franchises lost money by including that ridiculous BKN luxury tax penalty?

6. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Livingston to GSW, now that's a good signing. Not sure what Nets will do when DWill misses 40 games next year.

1 person likes this.
  7. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

for MLE Livingston would be a good signing anywhere :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

If you're not rooting for Livingston, you are a heartless bastard.

9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

lol
    he did play good in playoffs though

10. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I realize Jazz games don't get much national exposure, so maybe this is a bias thing, but what am I missing that the Cavs are offering Gordon Hayward reportedly $15 million a year?

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Because nobody wants to play there so they have to overpay.

12. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Gordon Hayward is worth nowhere near a max deal, but yeah, there's no other way to lure FA's to Cleveland. This basically means the Cavs are getting rid of Dion Waiters, by the way.

13. edmorel

which is more than you can say for Kevin Love :rimshot:

On Hayward, I only saw him play a handful fo times last year. He is a solid player (16/5/5) if not a great shooter (but having Irving set him up should improve his shooting %'s), he is young, the Cavs need a SF (deng is not resigning with them) , there aren't that many FA's available to the CAVS (Lebron/Melo are not going there) so, supply/demand etc. I think Deng is looking for 12-13 mln a year, he is a better all around player at this point than Hayward, but he is 30 years old. I like Deng and when you look at his numbers you need to take into account his defense but the NBA loves it youngsters.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

another way to sign him is to just overpay him for 2 or three years (three years if you want to use him as an expiring contract bargaining chip for trade/sign and trade).

Cleveland should just probably offer Lance Stephenson like 45mill/3years or maybe hayward like 36mill/two years and see if it sticks.

15. edmorel

16. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

interesting. this is what i've been saying for a long time, the nba draft is a total crapshoot and i think draft choices are highly over-rated. Of the top 20 picks in one of the deepest drafts of all time, almost half never had an appreciable nba career. At least when you're trading for role players, you know you're getting guys who can play in the league.

17. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I agree people tend to overrate draft, probably like 1 in 3/4 of your picks will be good to be at least a role player, rest will be out of the league in 3years. Though for shitholes like Oklahoma it's more valuable because it is hard to convince a guy with many options to come play there.

18. Brothersport

I hope Deng gets his payday...super underappreciated and he's a wonderful person. WTS I'm really pessimistic that that's gonna come. There's been no buzz over him as an FA, after he turned down a 3 yr /$30mil extension w/ the Bulls before getting traded. Might be a case of just the wrong place wrong time.

1 person likes this.
  19. edmorel

Ben Gordon $9mil for 2 years, guaranteed?? I need to dust off my Reebok Pumps and get back in shape to tryout for a team.

Edit: and I have no idea who CJ Miles is or why he is being paid $18mln for 4 years to play basketball. I am not the most diehard NBA fan, but I know most bench players on most teams. I've never heard of or seen this guy, I don't think.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Ha! They essentially replaced productive jameer -franchise guy - for an atrocious, overpriced Gordon. I don't get it