1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:I'd say there's a good chance of it happening. LeBron has gone on record saying he would have went to Syracuse to play with Melo if he had stayed one more year, but since he entered the draft, LeBron did as well.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

4. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Part of me just wants LBJ and Melo to both go to a small-market team like Phoenix or Minnesota and just troll the big-market teams and the rest of the NBA.

2 people like this.
  5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'd rather go after another big man if the Heat 3 restructure their contracts and return to the team. Pau Gasol would be awesome, just throwing it out there :stirpot:

6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I think the opt out is a precursor to restructuring their deals. I do believe Pau would be Maimi's best attainable option. I see no logical way Melo joins Miami.

1 person likes this.
  7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

There was a time when there was no 3 point line in the NBA. There was no clogging in the middle or parking out by the 3 point line, people moved the ball, drove, ran pick and rolls and give and go's, shot mid range jumpers etc. Games were exciting, stars still existed as did role players. I think players today could adjust but the stats geels/orginizations would lose their shit.

As for Love/Thompson, Love is a better player but is he a better player for GSW? All these teams that go crazy for Love or Melo, they just look at the stats and the name, I don't think they look at fit. Melo to Chicago makes a lot of sense but how much more pressure will be on Noah defensively when you swap Gibson for Melo in that position? Will you lose Noah's "point center" playmaking, which got points for the other players?

As I said before, I don't watch GSW but I do know that Love has taken his team exactly zero times to the playoffs and has two under 20 win seasons under his belt. I wouldn't go crazy trying to get him, especially coming off a 50+ win season. 50+ wins usually means you need to fill out the periphery of your team, not the starters.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Lol, wasn't that in the 70's, though? I'm not interested in going back to the George Mikan days

Losing the 3pt line would be absolutely awful IMO. The stats geeks will still be there, they would just say, get the most efficient close range scorers and the best rim and paint protectors you can find. Which makes nba games a royal rumble in the paint area with a lot less movement, a lot less fun alleyoops and drives, and less exciting comebacks because teams now have to score 2 at a time at most.

Even the glory day Knicks made effective use of the 3 pointer.

1 person likes this.
  9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

espn comments, "i feel bad for die hard heat fans"

one of the responses: is there such a thing? :lol:

doubt he'll be leaving

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^the last/only knicks two championships were in the 70's. :teach:

the inside game/big man focused play is alive and well. take memphis for example. its damn GM is the king of all NBA stat geeks who was eventually hired to be an actual NBA GM - and what did he do? made an offense that focuses on inside scoring of Marc Gasol and zach randolph.

I don't understand why stat geeks are to blame for the 3 pointer. what analytics will figure out is trends and how to exploit them. Trends change (just like running games vs passing games in the NFL), so just as soon as the NBA changes their stances on hand checking and zone defenses you'll see a change in the most efficient offense.

blame the nba for the rule changes that tried to promote a more flow-y type of game. the 80's and 90's had the same hand check and hard defense, but the 80's had a nice flow to their game. The 90's had that low post game that was a bit of a clogged toilet offense. both decades had the 3pt line.

shit changes and evolves. I see all types of play in the modern era:

- iso 90's ball? - the 2014 knicks
    - low post 90's ball - memphis
    - run and gun showtime - 2014 spurs
    - 80's free flow offense like the old school denver nuggets? - okc thunder /2014 suns

these days you have the GSW and Spurs who add an almost NFL audible/ Soccer style offense (lots of passing before shooting) and thats exciting too.

1 person likes this.
  11. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Funny you mention Mikan as he was one of the early proponents of the 3.

the highest scoring game in NBA history (290pts in regulation, 370 points after 3OT's) had 2 three point shots made.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198312130DEN.html

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I think Minnesota is just grindingly bad with management. Garnett never did shit there either, suddenly in Boston, after losing a step, he gets a ring.

13. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Well-Known Member

LBJ should join Spurs, it will guarantee at least a couple more rings for him. With all the endorsement money he should not much care how much club pays him, being the champion is more important. Plus this would be such a good act of trolling. Anyways, if you cannot beat them, join them, as the saying goes.

14. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

spurs don't want or need LBJ. they'd have to spend a lot of money on him and wouldn't be able to buy the role players they need

2 people like this.
  15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I mean who would turn away LBJ, but in a sense you're right. They have 3 aging pieces and only 1 real replacement. They need to bring in 2 or 3 guys that can transition into the system long term. I mean, Kevin Love would be amazing for a TD replacement, but they have no tradable assets.

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

as for love

his first two seasons he was a backup on terrible teams

his first season as a starter

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2011.html

just look at who he's had to play with

2011-2012 wolves were actually pretty good at over .500 but then rubio and love both got injured and they whiffed on another pick

2012-2013 love was injured for most of the season

2013-2014 wolves played good enough for a .500 team but lost quite a few close games. they also played in a historically strong conference where .500 simply wasn't good enough to get into the playoffs (hello suns)

1 person likes this.
  17. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to see why there are so many whispers of LeBron and Melo playing together, except maybe out of frivolous hype. They both play the same position.

18. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:On paper, yes, they play the same position, but both players are versatile and can play multiple positions. They both have spent a lot of time at the 4-spot in small ball lineups. LeBron can basically guard every position on the court as well as play every position on the court. Melo is a bit less well-rounded, but he still can play as a 2-guard, small forward, or power forward. When they're both on the court at the same time, Melo will probably take the 3-spot and LBJ the 4-spot. That's basically how it was in the London Olympics.

19. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

LBJ doesn't really play a position, Heat are often play with 5 guys on perimeter so it doesn't matter
    chalmers - wade - melo - lebron - bosh, no problemo

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Poor Melo. This summer was supposed to be his coming out party.

1 person likes this.