1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the bad call, it was off reggie jackson wether fouled or not, was still the result of the cumbersome manner to which the officials have to make these end of game reviews.

you have to follow the NHL model and have outside people reviewing the call at all angles (i think they have like 5 guys simultaneously on many large HD monitors in a central location outside distractions of fans in the stadium in NYC) . That way you have a more detached system with people who can really just follow the rules to the letter of the law and hand down a decision quickly (i think its phoned in in less than 45 seconds).

that way its not up to the on court refs, who probably have ran 5miles of distance on the court, with the adrenaline of 30 players, coaches and staff, and 18,000 fans screaming at you while you fumble around on one damn 20inch digital monitor.

MLB umps have adopted the system, because it was just as cumbersome for them running off the field to monitors then running back on with the decision.

adopting the NHL system would then speed up the game, and since there's usually only one or two games on simultaneously during the playoffs there's less pressure workload wise.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

That nhl system makes the most sense. Add more exceptions for replays and soon we'll have five hour games. Only way to counter that is have more eyes

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

NHL games have three 20min periods (60min total game time), two 20min period breaks, and commercials at the stop of action (for zamboni ice smoothing) and still finish in less than 2.5 hours.

but NBA games, especially playoff games are hitting the 4 hour mark when they play only 48min of game time and one 20min half.

NHL even uses centralized reviews for every questionable goal call throughout the whole game (not just in end of game situations). The system works great because it diffuses stress on the game refs and fans.

questionable field goals, out of bounds calls, three point shots, clear path fouls, and flagrant foul calls could be done centrally and be called in within 45seconds and that is that.

the flagrant foul calls are what really needs to be centralized, it would be interesting if they'd could somehow cut down on flopping using this method.

4. indesertum

larry for NBA commissioner

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Lawrence, in regards to the NHL system, do these "overseers" have the authority to negate a call made on the floor (ice?) if it is clearly the wrong call? How involved do they get is basically what I'm getting at.

6. indesertum

^im curious too. do the refs on the floor have veto power? is it a majority decision?

http://grantland.com/features/the-washington-school-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry/

i laughed

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

All this RFX whining about the call is reminiscent of:

[​IMG]

There are 50 bad calls in every game, 30 of those are uncalled travels, the rest is a mix of minor/incidental contact or the Chris Paul overreact at every touch effect, along with star treatment. The game is too fast to be refereed accurately.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth in your last statement. But most of those missed or blown calls occur in situations where there is no video review. What I think many people find puzzling here is that this one was reviewed, extensively, and the refs still came to a conclusion that differs from what most people think is the obviously correct call. The difficulty of flawlessly refereeing such a fast game is kind of irrelevant when the refs are making judgments based on multiple reviews of a slow-motion replay.

9. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Acccording to Stu Jackson, they did follow the rules. They just did not give the proper explanation to the coaches. So rules were followed properly, don't be salty b/c the on air explanation was lacking.

Also, Karma's a bitch, fuck CP3, dudes the dirtiest player in the league, if a poor call goes against the Clips its just the universe righting itself.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Don't be mad just because your Dubs got beat, that's just sour grapes in your part. Stop being a damn sore loser. I let you talk and talk and cry about the Clips crying until it was the Dubs who lost and cried all the way home.

And no they didn't follow the rules because they found the replays "inconclusive" and that is almost impossible as almost everyone could see it was out on Jackson.

I am not even going to answer the idiotic reply by idfnl because it is pointless to argue without the person who knows least about basketball in the thread and as stated, it is only a big deal because the ruling was so obvious in the replay.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I am not going to keep arguing with you because obviously we aren't going to see the same thing, I get what you are saying but again it is only an issue because it was too damn obvious in the replays and to everyone that it was out on Jackson yet all 3 refs determined it was "inconclusive"? That is BS!

12. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

13. Brothersport

Btw Doc is such a good coach. He's like the slightly less blustery version of Rex Ryan, driving allllll the criticism away from his players. Your best player makes a million critical end-game mistakes? YELL ABOUT THE MISSED CALL UNTIL NOBODY REMEMBERS ANYTHING BUT THAT. Just like he compared DAJ to freaking Bill Russell earlier this year.

Usually I would think LAC would be way too dejected to come out firing in the next game, but the league is definitely gonna give them the benefit of the whistles, so my best guess is there's gonna be a game 7.

Also it's impossible not to love this Wizards team. John Wall is totally open about his depressed feelings about this series, Brad Beal's suddenly so good in the playoffs and is nicknamed Big Panda, Nene is a crazy Brazilian, Ariza is playing for his fallen childhood younger brother, Gortat is shaving his armpits and misquoting Training Day, Andre Miller is old as shit and ties his shoes crazy, Drew freaking Gooden is still in the league, and Kevin Seraphin lost his pet snake "Snakey."

2 people like this.
  14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Anyways moving on, just got to look forward to the next game.

Are we going to see two eliminations today?

Seems like Blazers and Nets doesn't have much left in them to comeback, I think WIzards has a better chance of winning back from a 3-1 deficit.

Also, seems like Arenas is training for an NBA comeback? Would anyone actually pay this dude to play for their team?

15. indesertum

can't believe seraphin and gooden still in the league

wiz whiffed on so many draft picks tho. i feel like they're going to be middling for the foreseeable future. which is better than bottom of the league for the foreseeable future.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Even though the Pacers has sucked after the AllStar, it is still a big surprise how terrible they are in the playoffs this year.

It's always funny for people to make excuses for Hibbert too, "well our defense is made to pack the paint" but there was no excuse in not getting any rebounds or to average 4 rebounds per game in the whole playoffs if you're an All Star and that height.

17. Brothersport

Zach Lowe's article really made me think that if they keep Ariza and Gortat they could be one of the brightest East teams looking into the future. Miami is possibly screwed w/ this Wade situation, who knows about Indy, Toronto isn't appreciably better than a healthy Wiz team, God only knows about Derrick Rose, and BKN is old and has no options.

Then again realistically Beal won't keep up his ridiculous playoff play, Nene will get injured, and they'll resign Ariza and he'll go back to league-avg from 3.

Speaking of draft picks, can you just imagine if MEM didn't whiff on their draft picks????? They traded Kevin Love for freaking OJ Mayo, and they drafted Thabeet at 2! Seriously, imagine a world where they had Kevin Love and James Harden on that team w/ Gasol and Conley.

18. indesertum

duuuude. that would be a fucking awesome team. conley, harden, tony allen, love, gasol with randolph, courtney lee, and beno off the bench.

that would be fucking godly

harden and love's offense would go great with grizzlies defense

they also traded away demarre carroll.

sometimes tho i wonder if some of these busts are actually busts or they could've been a greater player in a better environment. like kawhi anywhere else other than the spurs might not have developed into the player he is today. or if the blazers had a better medical staff greg oden and brandon roy might not have gone the way they did

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Don't confuse this being a "big deal" with being a fan. Had that happened to Portland, I can't imagine you'd write such a flood of posts about it.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Of course I would. Are you new here? I do it all the time when there's a big controversy/problem with the NBA, stop trying to goad me to your stupid trolling because it isn't going to work. I've gotten to arguments here on behalf of many teams outside of the Lakers and Clippers.

Plus shit is all over every sports website/news, again it wouldn't get the moniker "controversial" and be on every sports media outlet if it wasn't such a bad and obvious call so how can you say it's not a big deal?