1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:What I'm trying to get at is there is no scenario where a player of LBJ's caliber goes off for 61 points and it doesn't look "easy" to you. It might look easy to you, but it's really not at all. It took a lot of blood and sweat for him to develop his game to a point where opposing teams decide that giving him the jumper is the best thing to do. You give him the jumper because the drive is much worse. Even so, the long 2-pointer is the worst shot to take in the NBA, statistically, so there is no shame in giving him that if you have to concede something. Saying what he's doing looks easy is really a compliment to his game, although I know you don't mean it as such.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think what all you guys arguingwith idnfl need to do is go to Foo and convince him he needs more than one kind of shoe. :foo:

1 person likes this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

IMO defenses have gotten a lot smarter tho and teams do have pretty effective defense against lebron. Lebron said in a interview that he developed a floater to counter Hibberts verticality (ie hibbert was such a challenge to the heats lebron had to come up with new game)

Mark Cuban talked a bit about what his mavs did against lebron. Basically an evolving defense that relied on a changing zone. They ran hybrid zones and the like for awhile mixed in with other things to keep the heat on their feet. Which really worked for them because a lot of their players have high iq and also have this great humble mentality that allowed rick Carlisle to implement lineup changes as he sees fit without a fuss

You can't stop lebron. The best you can do is only give up inefficient shots or force a pass to a less efficient player.

Honestly I think that's a more fun game than when players are allowed to physically crush lebron and get away with it. It's a more nuanced game but it forces players to be intelligent and force their bodies in more agile beautiful ways

4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Well this just got awkward...

5. indesertum

I was thinking of better ways to put it but I figured we're all gay men here talking about clothing and sweaty athletic men playing with other sweaty athletic men

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Not exactly. When Jordan put 63 past Boston, he worked hard for it. Melo's monster had a large number of tough contested shots, it was impressive. Harden had a monster recently where he did some impressive stuff. This one, to me, was not. He had some very effort filled games in the playoffs last season when the rest of his team was taking a piss.

In general, the "statistical right thing to do" doesn't make it entertaining to watch. It may make it defensively efficient and is "smarter" basketball but giving a star player open looks all the time is pretty fucking boring.

I agree completely, the guy is a very effective player, he's developed his game to the point where they have to play him this way. Its to his credit... just don't call it entertaining. And yes, it is complimentary. The guy is doing what he does with the rules that surround him and the favoritism he (and others) receives. It's just not fun to watch.

Tennis suffers a similar problem partly because of racquet technology. The game is so fast now that you hardly see that creative, nuanced play at the net anymore and its all so hyper dominated by the serve. Rallies are pretty short too. Players are incredibly efficient on the court, they strike the ball impressively, but I don't watch anymore because its some really boring shit.

Another element of the lack of entertainment is the constant stoppages that come from touch fouls. Perhaps a game when you were allowed to make incidental/minor contact and body up to a player would be a better balance, a game where you watch a star work for it. Shooting easy open jumpers all the time? Not so much.

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Shut the fuck up about it already. Fuck.

1 person likes this.
  8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Just put me on ignore instead of acting like a stupid asshole. If people comment it means they want to discuss it and its topical, so go fuck yourself. I wont be bullied and I'll stop when I'm ready.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

It's like a black hole. :lol:

But all those posts and ....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I can just picture this when he gets all in a huff :lol:

12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

No, this is bigger than just this thread. The bitching about modern basketball is pervasive to the point of oppressive and I'm fucking sick of it.

13. foodguy

sad part is you guys aren't even legitimately old. it's up to jan libourel and i to reminisce with tears in our eyes about when they tore down the old peach basket.

1 person likes this.
  14. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

As a kid, I went to NBA double headers at the old MSG on 50th St.

Four separate teams played, not two games with the same teams.

Willis Reed was a Knick rookie of the year.

There were visiting players like Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell.

And there was 2 games!

15. indesertum

wow you have to be like 70 years old

16. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

No, I was only six months old when I saw the games :)

Srsly, I was about 14 in 1964 when I went to many games.

I lived in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, and took the D train into the city to the Garden.

I went with my cousin and I think the whole night cost us $5 or $6 each!

In some ways, those were the days.

[​IMG]

Above is a pic of a 1964 ticket from the net. I had some good collectibles but didn't keep a thing.

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Was basketball much better in those days before this newfangled nonsense like the "shot clock" :D

18. foodguy

wow. rnoldh is even older than me! my first pro basketball game was the denver nuggets with spencer haywood. don't remember who they played. remember the ball was red white and blue.

19. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

nba at its best was the 90's on nbc. really miss that theme song.

20. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:Honestly, I would've loved to see Wilt Chamberlain take "free throws". This was before the rule that the ball had to touch the rim, so he would just toss the ball off the backboard and dunk it. Seems really cheap, but entertaining, nonetheless.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014