1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Madsen actually makes sense as a coach. A smart, determined, hard-working guy who got farther than his athletic ability otherwise would have carried him because he accepted that there was a limited role in which he could contribute and worked hard to do the best he could in that role.

And man, was he a beast in college. As a Cal guy, I hated but respected his game. He was relentless.
    I still remember one post-game interview where the interviewer pointed out that he had blood on his jersey and asked whether it was his or somebody else's. Madsen looked down at his jersey, shrugged, and said something like, "I'm not really sure. Sometimes it's my blood, sometimes it's the other guy's blood. I don't worry about it, it's just part of the game."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Cavs sign Bynum for 2year, $24.5mil.

Good risk if he actually plays, second year is a team option so I guess they can't lose much.

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Damn. Philly really got screwed with Bynum. I have not met anyone here in LA that really cares that Howard left... It was no where near like when Shaq and Mike Piazza left. That shit was crazy.

I do wish the Lakers would of gotten at least something in return, but oh well.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ should have pulled in omer asik. his name has came up after the trade so I wonder why it didnt happen

5. moffy

moffy Well-Known Member

it didn't happen because Asik makes $15 mil in 2014 and Lakers are clearing their books for that year.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I thought at the time that the Lakers made the right call with Shaq. I don't really remember how I felt about letting Piazza go, although I was probably disappointed.

All of those guys struck me egotistical jerks, even on the relative scale of professional athletes. Somewhere way out on the margin, that would seem to cut against making a huge investment to try to build around them. But those are judgments reached through limited media exposure, so who knows?

7. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i thought letting shaq go was the right call, too. it's easy to remember him when he was dominant, but he hadn't shown the inclination to be that way aside from a few isolated outbreaks, for a couple of seasons. his "i'll play myself into shape" routine was getting old with everybody -- not least, of course, kobe. i still wonder what kind of player he could have been if he'd had half of kobe's drive (there's only one person who has all of it).

8. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Lakers signs Nick Young.

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

you guys will love him. dude makes JR Smith look smart

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

K47 to the nets for $3mill. what a fucking deal for the nets, tough break for AK47 who effectively lost 7 mill

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

ahh, got it. had a hunch it was a salary cap issue

12. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Daaamn, would've loved AK47 over Speights for that contract.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

some shady russian under the table type of agreement going on there. maybe the russian billionaire owner offered AK47 1/3 of coney island in a side deal.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

:nodding::nodding::nodding:

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I think it's only $6 mil per guaranteed though. Lots of incentives. It's pretty low risk even for the one year.

16. moffy

moffy Well-Known Member

This Nets/Kirilenko deal is definitely one of the shadiest deals I have ever seen. Dude could easily get a multiyear deal worth more than double that per year.

Either Prokhorov is paying him off the books or he has AK's family at gunpoint somewhere.

17. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

He turned down $10 million player option from Wolves. To ride the bench.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Stupid move for AK. I guess he thinks they are a contender.

OKC or SA were much better alternatives. OKC especially.

Speaking of OKC, what gives? They're not doing shit to improve the team. Are they really that gung ho about Jeremy Lamb?

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Brooklyn would have had a great shot if it was 2006 today

20. moffy

moffy Well-Known Member

Apparently Lamb killed it in a summer league game the other day. Take that for what's it worth.