1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

+1

1/2 of every NBA show was dedicated to this. It got overexposed at around 18 wins.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is why he's hated. He'll always been a bitch. "It's been happening all year" ???? Wait, isn't he the bitch that went 6 games without a foul called on him? "I'm not crying or nuthin'" - ya ok.

I think Luol Deng defends James better than any player in the league.

That hair line, too. Keeps receding.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I was about 7 rows up at the Celtics/Knicks game and forgot how much contact the interior players get. When carmelo slashes towards the basket and makes contact with the interior defender(s) the sound is similar to football/hockey players making a clean hit. They make the same yelping/exhale upon contact. Even Pierce (who makes the most floppy gestures) was getting manhandled by Kenyon Martin.

[​IMG]

^this particular play - Bradley fakes a corner 3, slashes baseline and tries to dunk on Kenyon martin. Martin was having none of it - and sticks a forearm right into bradley's ribs before their bodies collide. Bradley kind of yelped the ball came loose and he tried to hold onto the rim for safety because he was going sideways coming down. The crowd gasped and went silent as it was happening.

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

^ I don't know what the NFL is going to do, but physics will win. I'm not a fuubaw fan but damn, some of the contact in those highlights is freakish. NBA is miles from anything like that, though it is skin on skin and then there's the danger of that hard wood floor. You can't build momentum on a basketball court like you can a large field.

While I'm ranting, NHL is a completely unwatchable sport. Not only is the puck impossible to see, but the endless pushing and pulling and crashing and bashing is horrifically boring. There is not enough open space on that ice and the game just sucks with no flow.

Similar rant with pro tennis. The game is too fast. Its boring now.

6. edmorel

Yeah, people don't know/don't think about what its like to have a 250lb man jump into you full force as you are going to the basket. Martin is an old school interior player, he doesn't save any fouls, he gets his money's worth. Melo is too soft for my taste but when you think about how many points he gets around the rim against multiple big men, it is a bit impressive.

Anyway good doctor, a question. Shumpert and Rose both went down on the same day with the same injury. Both are young guys. Shumpert has been back playing for about a month and Rose is still out with pain. Is that normal, guys heal differently to this ACL thing or is Rose being too cautious/Shumpert too aggressive?

7. LawrenceMD

Shumpert is a freak. ACL repair is a weird thing, it depends on the type of repair done (patellar bone tendon graft/ hamstrings graft/ ect) and even more so with his physical therapist/trainer and rehab. Looking at rose doing full contact practice it looks like he's ready to go and play actual games, but is obviously hemming/hawing.

The thing you have to consider is their situations... Shumpert is still basically playing for the potential of a big contract (he's still on his rookie contract) so he's going to show that he's back and can play. Rose already has his max contract and is considering his options.

My wife was fascinated with shumpert. with his hair and raw athletic ability (he was moving faster than anyone on the court) she was like "who's that?!"

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

obviously not the good Dr, but I'm going to field this one - I think Rose is effectively sitting out because he knows this team has no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs. And good for him, too. Why kill yourself to rush back, possibly re-injure yourself in the process, all to lose to the eventual champions anyway in the second round? Better to sit out, take the summer to continue training, and then come back to start fresh in the new season. Shumpy, on the other hand, doesn't play quite the same style as Rose (full on crash ahead) and most likely doesn't have the leverage with the org to try to hold himself out longer than 'necessary'.

9. LawrenceMD

^rose seems like the type to actually want the challenge though. he seems to play too hard even in garbage time (kind of like larry bird in the 80's).

I wonder whats going on with him... I bet its his agent/family holding him back.

1 person likes this.
  10. edmorel

The last two games, Shumpert has played as well as he ever has. Yesterday's game against Memphis, strictly on a speed basis, he was obviously the best player on the court on both ends. Similar to what you saw in Boston. On the other side of the spectrum, everytime I see Pierce I expect him to just fall apart during the game. Slow, old, flabby. And then he proceeds to throw 35 points down your throat.

:confused: With Rose at 85-90%, the Bulls would have to be at least the second favored team to win the East and I would say they would be the favorite when you look at what they did to the Heat without Rose and Noah. And if the refs let them play their style, who in the West could possibly play with the Bulls?

11. Vickt

Vickt Well-Known Member

Kevin Love smacks people with around 2600 lbs of force, which is about what an NFL linebacker will do. It's probably more the fact that NBA players aren't doing it to each others' head's that makes it safer.

12. Vickt

Vickt Well-Known Member

Definitely gonna go with genetics on recovery speed. Dr. James Andrews was saying only three people he's treated were true genetic freaks - Bo Jackson, Adrian Peterson, and Robert Griffin III. He said AP's knees were like a newborn baby's, which allowed him to recover much faster than a normal person who probably has scarred up knees by college.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Uh...Do you live in Chicago?

SA, and OKC

Miami in the East

possibly even the Knicks

14. edmorel

uh, no.

but the league has gotten so soft, small and offensive minded that I throwback defensive team like the bulls (or pacers) are the kind of team that can just steamroll over everyone, assuming the league doesn't have the refs call every little thing. I like SA as much as anyone, I think they have been the most consistent team of the last decade but I wouldn't pin my hopes on a chip if Duncan and Parker have to be subject to 7 games of Bulls type basketball. On OKC, wake me up when they have actually won something.

The Knicks, who I obviously love, are not a good matchup against the Bulls. Deng plays both ends against Melo very well, Chandler/Noah cancel each other out and on the remaining players, I have to unfortunately give the Bulls the edge, this is assuming Rose is back. The Knicks are set up to beat Miami and I think they will in the playoffs, if they have to go through Indiana or Chicago to get there, they could be in trouble.

15. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Someone needs to bring hand checking back. Stat. There's not been a season that's caught my attention for the whole duration in like a long long time. Not to say this is the only reason, but it's just like well you guys are pretty much summing it all up. Offense sells I guess is what Stern or whoever figures and okay but it's been kind of ridiculous for a while. That's bitter, I know, but seriously.

16. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I was only counting from the Celtics game (the good teams run).

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

You're dead wrong on this. You're not considering vectors. A guy may make contact but he's spent a lot of energy elevating. In addition, unless you go strait up on D now, its usually a foul. In addition, most NFL contact is shoulder led, a more 'pointed' surface than a whole body smacking into another (chest to chest), the more surface area, the more the force is spread.

There are few opportunities in the NBA to even approach the ferocity of the direct contact in the NFL. I honestly get scared for those guys when I see them on Hard Knocks. Its a vicious sport. There was an excellent article in Esquire, I think it was last month, that speaks about the problem the NFL has. The player is bigger and stronger than the forces that the body being struck can tolerate.

18. LawrenceMD

i think the worse collision I've ever seen was in baseball:

johnny damon damin jackson collision - warning... this is very very bad:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Bulls played the same style of D back in 2011 and lost in five to the Heat.

20. edmorel

what does that mean???? Are the Heat going to take a time machine back to 2011 when the playoffs start?