1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Rasheed Wallace's career brought me much joy for just this reason (although it manifested in a slightly different ways - usually directed at officials rather than other players). Especially since you could reliably count on him to sabotage his own team by losing his cool during crunch time of critical games. He was like the Jordan or Gretsky of his art.

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Ya, Rasheed was a funny guy. In Portland he was really a sight to see. He cooled off by the time he made it to Boston.

Speaking of Wallace's, Ben Wallace was one of my favorite players ever. Remeber the ferocious push he gave Artest during that huge palace brawl? Man, the way Artest's body reacted, Artest wanted none of him as soon as he felt that push. Just watch the impact of that push closely:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I ran into Ben Wallace after a game once. His forearms were the size of my neck

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

The overhype of the Knicks and Pistons brawl style has lead, in many ways, to the backlash on that style of physical defense we see now. The ultimate intent was to slow down Jordan and it failed, while setting hoops back.

5. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I don't know about overhype. Detroit was playing that way before Jordan and the Celtics weren't exactly a run and gun team when they were busy playing for chips against LA. I think the East was typically a brawl style (Philly, NY, Indiana, Miami etc) and the West considered more run and gun. The game doesn't have to grind to a halt but guys seem to get to basket now with a bunch of defenders just watching them. Anyway, enough of that. I love Dikembe and the man was a tremendous shot blocker which meant that everyone went out every game trying to dunk in his face to show him up. Here are some great contested dunks against him. I appreciate this more than the lob city type stuff that goes on now.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. edmorel

now you guys have me on an old school dunk video search

remember this guy in atlanta?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

My favorite Wilkins quote (about the brother). "If Gerald Wilkins were better at finishing on the fast break, he would be a decent one-dimensional player."

'niqe was amazing to watch, but I was never a huge fan of his overall game.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  8. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Zero nostalgia for 90's basketball. Teams play pretty complicated team defense these days.

9. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

I don't argue that D is less prevalent recently--with the rule changes for zones, you allow for leas on the ball press and more willingness to allow shooters better long looks. But the move from physical to borderline mugging did no one any favors and skilled teams like Houston or San Antonio still overcame the Force style.

Love the Dikembe vid and that he made people want to try and dunk on him.

10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

That dunk on Bird was the nuts. He sat there for a moment and I know what he was thinking.

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

It was more than that.

Agents tell their guys not to be in the poster. Dikembe was immutable. The finger wag meant that no posterization would stick.

Now, Kendrick Perkins, not so much. I still think of him getting straddled, even though I love him.

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Whelp, we're fucked.

14. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

The # 5 dunk is amazing, double clutch two handed jam in traffic.

1 person likes this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  16. edmorel

well, while the Knick are busy sinking, I'm on a nostalgic dunks trip.

This is for Dopey. Physically, Kemp was like a LeBron but he did not have LeBron's basketball skills. I can't recall though, anyone that was as relentless as him once he decided he was going to the basket and I still have not seen anyone dunk on a reverse like Kemp did. He made it seem like a layup.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I was never a big Clyde fan, that Portland team was so unlikeable (Porter/Kersey) but I think he was an underrated player as people got caught up in all the dunks and stuff but the man could dunk. I think in one of the dunks here he takes off at the free throw line.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

that facial on david robinson was great

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

How do you like the streak my other team has put together?

Burn Baby Burn

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Good stuff. More's the shame he went and turned into Terry Forster.

20. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member