1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Well-Known Member

Matthews can't create in a half court set. I love him to death, but he's a spot up shooter and transition guy when it comes to offense.

I've always been a fan of Andre Miller too. I have him in fantasy this year and last year when he dropped a 50 point game. So it's frustrating when you're not getting crunch time minutes, but I understand what McMillan was thinking. Mills gives Aldridge more room to work in the post as Mills can stay behind the 3 point line and defenders gotta respect his shot. Also, he's a lot faster than Miller and the Heat are a quick team. Mills had made some shots earlier in the paint and from 3 and I think McMillan was just riding the hot hand. Either way, the Heat were better last night and I don't think playing Andre Miller 10 more minutes would have made the difference.

2. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Well-Known Member

Actually, I read that Melo is good with signing an extension with the Nets if Rip Hamilton is part of the package.

Unless those words were quoted, I wouldn't believe much of that as I think he's more worried about securing the contract. I think the only reason why he'd prefer NJ is because it's closer to NY.

3. sexandcandy

They are actually moving to Brooklyn.

4. ebmk3891

ah ok... sorry i didn't clarify why the nets would do this...

well the uncertainty of the CBA actually favors teams holding very few guaranteed contracts... essentially you lock up one sure thing and wait.... because if a hard cap comes then you're forced really assess who's worth it and carmelo is one of the only "sure fire NBA superstars" out there.

the nets are banking that they can have the one "larry bird/KG-like" protected contract that won't be counted against any new salary cap scheme... from there they start over. they rely on their new coming stadium (and huge assets from that) plus the billionaire owner who's willing to spend, if possible.

the nba wants to (unrealistically) follow what the nfl has where there is parity + superstars... with a strict salary structure and team friendly contracts (meaning guaranteed money is extremely limited). so the outcome of the future CBA could mean nfl like player contracts.

While I'd like to see something like that, having incentive based contracts is going to mean more players ballhogging and more me-first mentality. If player X's contract says he needs 1500 points to reach a $1m bonus, he's probably going to shoot way more to make sure he can hit those numbers. Football and baseball work differently because in most cases, one players stats doesn't affect the outcome of another's in a negative way. A QB throwing a 40 yd TD reception is both positive statistically for the QB and the WR.

I just don't think incentive-based contracts would work in the NBA even if you say limited how a team could cut it's players. Less years and a slight decrease in maximum contracts is probably what's going to happen.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Matthews can't create in a half court set. I love him to death, but he's a spot up shooter and transition guy when it comes to offense.

I would have still given him the ball, I mean who else really can create their shot better? Aldridge would have been a good option but they would have to feed him the ball quicker and not waste time because he's set up takes time sometimes but he was dominating Bosh but you just don't want to go to early and miss a shot and give the Heat a chance to win with a final shot. Miller did get a good shot, 2 good shots actually but just missed.

I would have still gone with the veteran experience in crunch time than youth and speed. and I don't think they need mills spreading the floor even more since they already have Batum and Matthews, have Miller on the other side of the court and let Matthews or Batum drop the ball to the post and clear out, let him work on Bosh.

6. ebmk3891

They are actually moving to Brooklyn.

I am aware of that. My point (which I forgot to mention) is the Nets as a team right now just don't have anything going for them. The Brooklyn arena isn't slated to be finished until the fall of 2012 meaning at least this season and one more of being in NJ. The starting 5 would consist of something of Billups, Rip, Anthony, Humphries, Lopez with Farmar, Travis Outlaw and Vujacic coming off the bench. Aside from location, this team isn't any better than what the Nuggets currently have.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Unless those words were quoted, I wouldn't believe much of that as I think he's more worried about securing the contract. I think the only reason why he'd prefer NJ is because it's closer to NY.

I don't really think he is too worried about securing a contract, I mean if it is all about the money, he would just sign with Denver now. I mean sure he would love to get moved and still get paid. Him saying he won't be back in Denver is forcing them to trade him now but Denver is actually being nice and allowing Melo to decide where and how to get traded. I mean I am sure there are teams out there that would take Melo even w/o a guarantee of resigning, Jordan has expressed interest but Melo said he doesn't want to play there so Denver dropped that possibility. I don't really think Melo has the power like Kobe to veto any trades so to me, it doesn't really seem to be about money and securing that contract. Denver just wants to get something instead of losing Melo so they are cooperating but overall, they are still being nice by giving Melo exactly what he wants.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

ah ok... sorry i didn't clarify why the nets would do this...

well the uncertainty of the CBA actually favors teams holding very few guaranteed contracts... essentially you lock up one sure thing and wait.... because if a hard cap comes then you're forced really assess who's worth it and carmelo is one of the only "sure fire NBA superstars" out there.

the nets are banking that they can have the one "larry bird/KG-like" protected contract that won't be counted against any new salary cap scheme... from there they start over. they rely on their new coming stadium (and huge assets from that) plus the billionaire owner who's willing to spend, if possible.

the nba wants to (unrealistically) follow what the nfl has where there is parity + superstars... with a strict salary structure and team friendly contracts (meaning guaranteed money is extremely limited). so the outcome of the future CBA could mean nfl like player contracts.

Well I guess if Melo says he'll extend with the Nets then all of the above (plus the trade) makes sense for the Nets

While I'd like to see something like that, having incentive based contracts is going to mean more players ballhogging and more me-first mentality. If player X's contract says he needs 1500 points to reach a $1m bonus, he's probably going to shoot way more to make sure he can hit those numbers. Football and baseball work differently because in most cases, one players stats doesn't affect the outcome of another's in a negative way. A QB throwing a 40 yd TD reception is both positive statistically for the QB and the WR.

I just don't think incentive-based contracts would work in the NBA even if you say limited how a team could cut it's players. Less years and a slight decrease in maximum contracts is probably what's going to happen.

Well, you could always have different incentives as well like wins or reaching the playoffs to go with the individual stuff. I believe that quite a few NBA contracts are already heavily incentive based

9. sexandcandy

he'll go to whatever team can also get chris paul and dwight howard down the road.

now THAT big 3 is scary.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say the Lakers covered the -16 against the Cavs tonight.

11. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say the Lakers covered the -16 against the Cavs tonight.

Cav's 3 on 1 fastbreak and they turn it over. Lulz.

12. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Cav's 3 on 1 fastbreak and they turn it over. Lulz.
    Haha. Cavs had 57 after 4q....Lakers had 57 after 2q. They could have scored only 1 basket in the entire 2nd half and still won.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the remote possibility of chauncey coming to lakers upon a buyout when he goes to the nets?
    Or the chance that james posey signs with us?

15. sexandcandy

i highly doubt it, and the lakers don't need them. i wouldn't sign those guys for peanuts.

if anything, chauncey would sign with the heat IMO. but if he does get bought out, i think he'll do what big Z did and wait it out then sign with his original team. he loves being in denver, he's from there, he wants to stay there.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Again, Lebrons opens his big mouth:

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

It's like his mind really never left high school.

i highly doubt it, and the lakers don't need them. i wouldn't sign those guys for peanuts.

if anything, chauncey would sign with the heat IMO. but if he does get bought out, i think he'll do what big Z did and wait it out then sign with his original team. he loves being in denver, he's from there, he wants to stay there.

Really? Even with how blake and fisher are playing? Billups is still one of denver's premier players and has skills still. Anyways you may be right he'll end up back at denver or go to miami which then will virtually guarantee them to finals.

18. sexandcandy

Fish has too much cred within the organization to have a reduced role. Even with Blake who is a clear upgrade over Fish, he won't take over the starting job or even get into an even timeshare situation. Fish has his issues, but he's hit enough big shots and made big plays in the playoffs time and time again that I can forgive him in the regular season.

Heat is more in need of a PG than the Lakers. They would be an even scarier team with Billups, but I'm not sure how he'd handle a significantly reduced role and much fewer shots. Like I said my money is on him ending up back in Denver if he does get bought out.

My money is also on 'Melo ending up a Knick THIS SEASON.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Yeah, Chauncey wants to be bought out so he can go back to Denver, not sign with the Heat or Lakers. I think he wants/has been promised a front office job once he hangs em up (which is prolly soon)

20. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think he's retarded.