1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

That's all correct and a pretty unequivocal vindication of recent PHI draft history.

2 people like this.
  2. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  3. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I don't know how these guys do it but props to Westbrook for sitting through that interview

1 person likes this.
  4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Vindication? Wow.

5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I actually don't blame the Sixers taking Okafor over Porzingis. No other team would have done it differently.

dcg 's take is very optimistic but I'm not ready to say he's wrong yet. But unequivocal vindication? Hardly. there is nobody on that team that we can say with absolutely certainty is going to make 3 all star teams in their career

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

7. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty high bar.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I give Embiid an 80% chance. If he can play starter's minutes for most of a season, then 100%

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It is, but what do Philly fans want out of their "process"? Make the playoffs? Even in the weak East you'll need an elite player with a solid supporting cast that ideally has another perennial all star.

Come out of the East? How many all stars do you need to beat Cleveland in 7? It's definitely more than 2.

Win a title or multiple titles? Embiid better evolve into the best player in the league with a great supporting cast.

My point isn't that Philly won't be an improved team - I'd be a fool to say that. It's just that I believe that the process will be a disappointment vs expectations of philly fans, and it's partially due to shaky drafting (which Hinkie partially mitigates by stockpiling a shitload of lottery tickets, I admit).

But who knows - some of his picks are yet to be picked. If they grab the next Westbrook or Harden or even Isaiah Thomas (2) with a future pick then all this shit changes. Although it will support my assertion about Hinkie's drafting skills :p

10. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

If you look back at the the drafts starting with 2013, the only players that look like they could be 3x All Stars are Giannis (2013), Embiid (2014), and Towns (2015). Maybe Gobert, Wiggins, Parker, and Porzingis, although I think they're more 2nd Tier.

Plus Embiid has a good chance to also be a future DPOY.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

Embiid is still so young, 22yo, he's going to be a beast.

WAIT I DID SOME RESEARCH,and Embiid is from [​IMG], which is IN AFRICA, HES PROBABLY LIKE 30!!!!! THE PROCESS IS DOOOOOMED

2 people like this.
  12. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

lmao well to a degree it don't matter how old somebody is in earth years, you just need to know how old they are in back years, or ankle years, or knee years etc.

dude can be broken at 24 or whatever regardless of the rings on the tree.

1 person likes this.
  13. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I disagree. they have plenty of picks in upcoming years. They're going to be like celtics or raps. Contending for deep playoffs with high picks still headed their way

They need a back court and this upcoming one is chock full of them. Besides that all they need is continuity for the young'ns to gel and understand all their offensive and defensive sets

Plus they have McConnell. The white Damian Lillard

14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Even Towns looks shaky. That defense. Either you bring it both ways in 2017 or you're a 'Melo.

Picks - schmicks. You need continuity, but a different kind.

15. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

ROFL! bwhahahahaha

Right after the last draft people brought up the age thing with Thon Maker too. Thing is, he looks like baby Giannis did after he was drafted. The team is molding him the same way as they did with Giannis (GYM GYM GYM and very limited minutes). Oh, and they both LOVE it in Milwaukee. They could be huge. God it sucks with Jabari. Why did he have to get hurt again?

1 person likes this.
  16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Anyone see the slam dunk contest? I was only able to catch highlights a few minutes ago but most of those dunks looked terrible. Am I wrong?

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Dunk contest. Pfff.

18. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Nope. I heard it was terrible.

19. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

DeMarcus Cousins was traded to the Pelicans for Tyreke Evans, Buddy Hield, Langston Galloway, a 2017 first-round pick and 2017 second-round pick. Crazy.

On paper, Anthony Davis and Cousins together has to be the best frontcourt tandem in the league.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

crazy move and Orlando had a chance but got cold feet :lol:

Lakers should have let Ingram go too, really not sure how much upside dude has.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017