1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^that makes sense.

but I have a feeling Carmelo is pressuring Chris Paul and/or Lebron to come aboard. They are all friends and have changed the dynamic of creating superteams by planning in advance in regards to salary lengths synchronization (kind of like who a close knit group of female friends sync up their periods).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the Cavs case, its a simple swap of K-Love and Carmelo. Lebron is basically the GM of the Cavs.... if Lebron wanted it to happen... then it could be done in hours.

There's literally nothing the cavs can do salary-wise when it comes to bring on another good player.

Sure they could trade K-Love (maybe dangle him to the celtics for something like Amir Johnson, Bradley, and Rozier) to solve playmaker + defense. Or Lakers K-Love for (D'angelo Russell, Larry Nance Jr, and Loul Deng).

but the cavs might be better off trying to trade K-Love to the lakers, celtics, phoenix, Orlando (extremely interesting trade partner) for a chance at that top 2 lottery pick (which would be a superstar guard either way) if they're willing to semi-punt this year.

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is why you don't overpay players: Shumpert, Smith, and especially Tristan Thompson.

No room to make moves now.

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i dont think you've watched a cav game this season or last because tristan thompson is definitely worth his contract now especially with the rising cap

http://streamable.com/s69no

i still dont know how to embed streamable

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I've watched them 3 times, granted not a ton.

I would never pay that much money for a player with very limited skills. Sure, he plays a role... but he's just a role player.

Back to the reason why: it limits your ability to make any moves. It's not a slight on Thompson. He was never worth that much to begin with. It's management's fault for overpaying him.

5. indesertum

seriously tho. TT is the perfect center for that team. maybe a bit more rim protection would be even better, but he's super mobile. great at defending the perimeter and great at defending post ups. great in transition. offensive rebounding means more second chances for a deadly three point shooting team. he's an awesome roll man, sets solid picks. passing could be better but he's working on that short roll to kick out game.

they dont need a ball dominant center or a slow lumbering rim protector or a post up gifted player. especially given how much the game has changed just this season especially considering the number of stretch 4s and 5s nowadays.

he really makes their transition game gorgeous to watch and they already had lebron and kyrie.

i could be talking out of my ass tho, i've only really watched like 7, 8 of their games and a ton of highlights. his hook is softer too.

his skillset is fairly rare too. i mean who else is there for less than max?

anyways i really like watching kay felder this season and i love deandre liggins' story. fuck lebron for throwing them under the bus

also watching clippers gives me heartache. i want mo back :(

6. indesertum

they said no way they're putting in a deal for melo if k-love is involved. in any case love's been way better than melo this season.

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I guess the guys that match his skillset is Taj Gibson at 8m... Thompson is basically double that at 15.

He's a good fit for that team, and you're correct in the assessment above. It's not a question of skills.

A good fit for a team doesn't make a max player. Nor does a unique skillset. That kind of money is reserved for superstar characteristics, and Thompson woefully lacks in those. The guy averages 7 points and is a 50% FT shooter.

8. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

Ed Davis could do TT's job. And he's one of many.

(To be clear: I'm pro-TT...I'm just not deluded into believing he's some kind of rare, unique specimen)

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

The perfect center for Lebron is....Hassan whiteside :stirpot:

1 person likes this.
  10. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Okafor played 24 minutes last night and got one rebound. I felt like Harry Doyle looking at the box score:

"Let's see, one rebound... that's all he got - one goddamn rebound?"

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Kid certainly seems like the odd man odd in that trio. At least Noel can do all the defense and inside dirty work to save Embiid the effort, but what's Philly going to do with a ball stopping post scorer that can't play defense or rebound?

1 person likes this.
  12. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

He's got to go, but I hope they keep him until the off season at this point. This draft is HUGE for the Sixers, in terms of their potential for picks and how it matches with their needs.

Rather than trading him for some role player at the deadline, I'd like to see him used as an add-in for a potential draft move, depending on where the Sixers fall (i.e., they're at 8, see a guy they want at 6, use 8+Oak as the basis of a trade to move up). Would also be interesting if the Lakers end up at #3 - would they take Oak + their unprotected pick next year back in exchange for that pick?

1 person likes this.
  13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Where do the Sixers project to pick, top 5? I presume they are going to pick a guard and the '17 draft is very guard heavy at the top. They may not need to trade up. Maybe try to get two picks to diversify risk.

1 person likes this.
  14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Roy Hibbert wrote the book

15. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Hard to say. They have their own pick + swap rights with the Kings if the Kings pick falls within the top 10 (if it's 11-30, goes to Bulls). They also have the Lakers pick, top 3 protected. If Lakers end up in the top 3, the pick becomes unprotected next year. Sixers also have Kings unprotected 1st rounder in 2019.

So best case this year is they end up with 1(either they win lottery or Kings do) + 4 (from Lakers). Worst case is they keep playing well and find a way into the playoffs in the East (currently 4 games out and would need to jump 5 teams), the Kings pick somehow falls outside top 10, and they're out of the lottery.

Lakers pick is a crapshoot at this point, and where the Sixers end up with their own pick depends a lot on how many games Embiid plays for the rest of the year.

This is a trade that would never happen, but if the Lakers offered to remove the pick protection this year in exchange for Oak, I'd seriously consider it.

16. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

17. indesertum

i'm slightly deluded

ed davis could probably bring more rim protection would less other skills and if he were on cavs he mightve gotten paid close to max. cuz no way cavs replace TT with their cap situation

18. indesertum

pretty insane.

sixers are prolly going to keep getting picks minimum next two years. they just have to lock everybody up, trade okafor for some more assets and league fucked. it'll be warriors dominating then sixers for the next decade

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Still got to nail the picks. All that tanking and the only star is Embiid and he still seems brittle. Only Ben Simmons has a chance to develop into a second star at this point.

Compare that to GSW that drafted all its stars except for Durant. And, say OKC that drafted KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson in a five year period and became a perennial WC finalist

1 person likes this.
  20. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Well, don't forget sixers have Furkan Korkmaz coming over at some point.

1 person likes this.