1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

at this point in their careers, gasol is as good if not better than Duncan defensively. Duncan doesn't have much left in those knees if you really watched.

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

what the hell are you guys talking about

gasol was a defensive sieve in the bulls last season. just watched dudes blow by him and occasionally got blocks as a help defender. did you watch a single bulls game? he put up massive stats but was overall a big negative especially on defense. it was all bulls fans and writers who wrote about the bulls could talk about

duncan doesn't have much lift anymore, but he hasn't relied on athletic ability in a long time. he's been a good defender cuz his positioning and sense of timing has always been so good. he got shown up by younger more athletic centers in the playoffs, but i guess you guys already forgot the spurs were the number one defensive team in the league with duncan patrolling the paint and bulls were one of the worst with pau patrolling the paint

short memories and all that.

all you guys've done is look at block and rebound numbers and concluded gasol is the better defender. it was pretty obvious during the season this was not the case at all

this is a year old but coach nick even made a video dedicated to gasol's defense and pau hasn't changed

what do you even want to talk about? defensive rating? defensive block plus minus? defensive win shares? duncan's numbers were as good if not better

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

I remember watching Duncan get outrebounded and pushed around throughout the playoffs. Looked like an old man out there. Pretty sure Gasol would kick his ass at this point if they matched up. And I'm pretty sure Pop sees it and that's why he went after Gasol.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

exactly playoffs... where duncan had bad matchups thrown at him and pau never even played in to show how bad he was

spurs dominated the grizzlies series and duncan was outmatched by a dominant athletic center AKA steven adams. pau would've been far worse

if you think love is bad at defense watch pau sometimes. i think enes kanter has him barely beat especially in this era of switching defenses where centers are expected to be able to switch on to guards

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Duncan did look like an old man during the playoffs. He had an incredible career, no reason to keep pushing the envelope especially with an aging team. What's he going to do come off the bench with Aldridge and Gasol holding down the paint?

6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Duncan was poor all season. He had a couple of good weeks early in the year but past that he was half as productive. It wasn't just the playoffs. I'm a big Duncan fan, but it's over.

I only watched a handful of Bulls games, but they knew what they were getting when they brought Pau in. So does SA. He's not quite as bad as that video, but he's not a stopper. It's funny how bad defenders seem to only get compared to white guys. Is there a quality white defender in the NBA? Only 1 guy on Bogut island? Judging by the comparisons, there don't seem to be.

Gasol is without question a net improvement over Duncan 2016. Duncan can hang out a year and take West's bench role, but otherwise forget it, and forget any playoff minutes.

In other news, I read this morning that the Queen of Ring Chasers is available to GSW. Ray Allen, we missed you sweetie.

7. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I think Duncan can still contribute in playoffs but 15-20mins would be optimal and give remaining minutes to LMA and Pau.

8. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

not saying gasol is a great defender. I'm saying Duncan is not a very good one now.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

4 people like this.
  10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  11. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I watched nearly all SAS games, and it may be true he didn't get enough minutes. But when he was on the floor against the other team's first unit, I stand by my statements.

1 person likes this.
  12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Holy shit.... D Wade is leaving Miami for the Bulls.

13. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

wonder if the good Rev. Stephen A Smith will have anything to say about that...

EDIT: just a sideways observation that 2 teams lost franchise free agents that they drafted. truly DGAF about SAS but i would be surprised if he called Wade's departure a weak move.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Crazy that Wades actually leaving, Miami tried to low ball too much after sacrificing so much money to bring in Lebron and Bosh. I think he is getting $47m for 2 years in Chicago?

Rondo, Wade and Butler makes for an interesting backcourt.

Now there are some fears that Whiteside might pull off a Deandre.

Someone check on @Hroi

Lakers get Calderon, Richard Jefferson isn't retiring and going back for two more years to the Cavs and Dunleavy goes to the Cavs.

Ray Allen considering coming back to either Cavs or Dubs, I really like this dude but just stay retired.

3 people like this.
  15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Wow I can't believe it, fuck miami for letting wade go he's a good dude. They did him dirty man so he just put his middle finger up and bounced.

Whiteside feels like an idiot now that's what he gets for not signing with LA.

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I am bummed. Fuck this shit.

The Heat isn't just Wade's team. Miami is his city as far as sports goes. It's not Ryan Tannehill's or Giancarlo Stanton's.

Why not just pay the man? Who else are you gonna pay at this point? And you know you owe him. He gave you money out of his pocket AND he delivered three titles. It's only for two years so it's not like you have this albatross.

And all this from an organization that's renowned for taking care of its players. How the fuck did we get here

:cloud:

2 people like this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

How, by paying him millions and millions over a whole career? And this is considered a sacrifice? Entitled brat alert. Try living like middle class people.

It's not like Miami was a true contender anyway. He isn't rich enough? He could have finished his career in Miami, but he chose to act disrespected. Millionaires fighting with billionaires is douche, especially since the common man fills those seats in the arena.

You're talking about a guy on 1 knee, at the tail end of his career. I mean, if we were talking about a superstar like Harrison Barnes it would be another story. But Wade isn't going to deliver more titles, and the organization does have the right to establish their fair value. At 20m he's already way overpaid, so in my mind they are already taking care of him.

Wade didn't get a 3rd year in CHI, and he makes what, 8m more? And now has to pay state tax, not sure what he's thinking either. Just the career state tax savings alone would cover this "sacrifice" he made.

Miami was always heading towards a stagnant period. I don't see Bosch in uniform again. Wade left to play with Rondo, just think about that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  18. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

wade had nothing to gain by staying in Miami. he will always be a hero there to the fans, especially the way they painted the picture of him not getting respect from the team.

it's all upside by going to Chicago. same money. hometown boy. no pressure to win since they look like underdogs. but if he by chance does well and goes far in the playoffs, he comes off looking like a hero there.

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This rich athlete's respect obsession is a demand for idolization. They paid the man millions and millions over a career to bounce around a little ball. They owe him jack shit. If Wade had nothing to gain staying in MIA, then the team had nothing to gain by overpaying him to be there.

If Wade thinks "I'll show them" then he made a bad business decision. If I was Riley, I would have got in front of it July 1: "since we're not going to be contenders next year and likely not before Wade retires, we've made a business decision to not offer him a contract so he can pursue his goals with a contender". Loyalty in business usually ends with something like the Lakers 2015/16.

This idea that certain teams "take care of..." is just an appearance thereof. It's always about self interest.

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I wonder how Gabrielle thinks about Wade moving so close back to this situation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

man some fucking bridges must have been burned to the ground.

also the Bulls will have a weird assed roster next season. Rondo, Butler, and Wade? its ironic in how Knick's-esque this roster seems in lieu of them trading/losing players to the knicks.