1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I have and i've watched some of his games too, at least those few that are available. Frankly when I look at him cmpared to shaq, hakeem, duncan he seems unpolished. I realize game was played much diffrent then and a lot of is owed to pioneers but I see someone like Duncan or Shaq for example as improved version of what Russel and Wilt were. I mean if you could virtually teleport Duncan and Shaq to that era they would wreck havock. Well obviously Shaq would foul out in his first couple of games for offensive fouls ;) but still he did pretty much everything better than Wilt and was stronger, more agile and fluid.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

Yeah Wilt is the greatest Warriors player (google it motherfuckers) AND Lakers player ever.

its probably magic though... if you had to start a team with just one lakers player it has to be magic.

seriously though as much as I hate kobe, even larry bird admitted that he'd rather play with Kobe over Lebron in a bill simmons podcast :lol: because kobe would be the best player of the two if you wanted to win. . if anything kobe and larry bird share a lot of the same traits of assholeness coupled with desire to win... bird was more of a team player though and understood the team aspect more.

I do know this, if kobe was ever paired with Magic or Bird I bet my life that both bird and magic would just find ways to feed kobe and have him score 40 if it meant a win. Bird and Magic loved it when teammates had a hot hand and BIrd hated the fact that McHale didn't try to score 50pts/game more often.

fuck... i can't believe I'm complimenting kobe. fuck him :lol: (I secretly loved the first three years of kobe though...)

4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

Magic or Kobe are best Lakers ever, hard to make arguement for anyone else. All career with franchise, 5 rings, MVPs..

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Magic made the team better.

I think Wilt was the best center ever.

Re Shaq, his few moves worked because of his size. He couldn't score from more than 5 feet out and a significant percentage of his baskets were offensive fouls.

6. LawrenceMD

Kareem though...

7. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

yea you could make case for him, but he started with Bucks :p

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Kareem could be one of the greatest players to play for LA, but he doesn't exemplify Laker-ness like Magic or Kobe. Therefore the only two candidates for greatest Laker has to be one of the latter two IMO.

I really got the impression that Kareem was appreciated by the Lakers and the fans for what he did, but he was quite distant (even disliked?) from everyone else

1 person likes this.
  9. LawrenceMD

You know Carmelo thinks to himself: " if I keep this up... I'll be in the conversation for greatest Knick ever!"

2 people like this.
  10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

He just needs to last until everyone alive doesn't remember Walt, Willis and Ewing

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Problem is after the shaq years Kobe didn't have a great supporting cast he could rely on for buckets when it became his team. I remember watching Jordan and he would hog the ball as much despite having Kerr/Paxon/Pippen. Everyone was always scared to step up and the only person he would trust to take the last shot was #bigshotrob, not that I blame him. To me the clutchest player of all time as well as the most explosive offensively, 2008-2009ish was simply remarkable to watch. If you never lived here you'll never understand the impact he had.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

No, I think this is totally wrong. Perhaps an age or geography thing. If you're a Lakers fan going back to pre-Magic days and through the period where Kareem gracefully facilitated the transition in the team's identity once Magic arrived, Kareem is an absolutely iconic symbol of Laker-ness. Of course, if you only started paying attention to the Lakers as Kareem's career was winding down, then of course you won't appreciate that.

1 person likes this.
  13. LawrenceMD

Carmelo Anthony made one thing clear after meeting with New York Knicks management on Thursday: He wants the club to "take advantage of this window that I have"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ls-new-york-knicks-take-advantage-window-have

:lol: :crackup: :facepalm:

the only way to truly have taken advantage of "this window he has" would've been to trade his ass this season, because his trade value was as high as it ever was going to get.

1 person likes this.
  14. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

He should've signed with Chicago...

15. LawrenceMD

he should've never demanded a mid season trade from denver to knicks....

16. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

So good.

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Fair enough. We moved to LA during the height of Showtime. But did Kareem become the face of the Lakers the same way that Magic did? I may have understated Kareem's level of acceptance when my real point is that it's hard to think of Lakers that the city got behind as much as they did for Magic and Kobe.

But I defer to the people who were there during that time

18. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hated Kobe during the Shaq era. As a Warriors fan living in PDX (and adopting the home team) I'm sure you can understand why.

But as he got older and went through some adversity I really came to like him and his pure drive for greatness. Winning titles with a whole new team, pushing guys like Bynum and Artest and his Bird worthy inner psyco actually endeared him to me.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Pre-Magic Kareem was definitely the face of the Lakers. I think perceptions may also be distorted by the fact that Magic not only became the face of the Lakers but one of the faces of the NBA. He and Bird (and some others to varying degrees) were key figures in the NBA's big popularity/media push. And since the Lakers and Celtics were the Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant of that publicity push, they came to define those franchises in many eyes. Plus, it's certainly the case that Magic's just a more dynamic, gregarious, media-friendly personality than Kareem and took very well to that role.

1 person likes this.
  20. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Jordan and Kobe were guards, Jet. You haven't addressed my arguments regarding achievements. But that would require an intellect.
    Jordan is the greatest shooting guard ever and Duncan the best power forward.
    And as such the choice over Kobe is obvious.
    Kobe scored more points but it's the only measure by which he beats Duncan.