1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Of course there's no universal consensus but I think this particular conversation illustrates a vocal minority rather than a genuine reflection of the collective opinion. I think if you had asked people before the series - many of the people now arguing for Lebron would have said the MVP must be from the winner. Many of the people now arguing for Lebron are either Cleveland fans or contrarians. Most people aren't getting involved in this conversation at all because they understand the MVP goes to a champion and there's nothing to discuss. By the way, I would concede the debate is much livelier with respect to regular season MVPs and whether they must come from playoff teams, for example.

2. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

you do a very nice job of presenting your personal opinions as accepted general wisdom. as someone who is neither a cleveland fan nor a contrarian, i thought lbj deserved the mvp because he had one of the greatest single series i've seen in more than 40 years of watching the nba. but, of course, "there's nothing to discuss."

3. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

^^^ exactly what a contrarian would write

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

The Finals MVP debate is just another iteration of the argument between the new school and the old school on the meaning of "valuable." The new school is about cold numbers, and equates valuable with wins above replacement. In this view, LeBron is the clear MVP. The old school incorporates the "eye test" and subjective judgments, including team success, into its definition of valuable. This view is equally adamant that LeBron cannot be the MVP. We've seen this debate recently in baseball when the AL MVP came down to Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera. I'm personally an old-school guy, and think that the voters made the right decision for the Finals MVP, but believe that both positions are defensible.

5. foodguy

interesting stat today: (and again, I'm a dub fan -- my third favorite team after the clips and SA): gsw had a remarkably charmed season. as a team had some of the fewest games missed to injuries and in the playoffs faced four straight teams that were missing their point guards.

6. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I'm old school then, and still I would be ok with giving MVP to James. Not looking at the numbers it was easy to see that James was in league of his own and without him it would 4 straight 30pts blowouts. If he was only better than GSW players and with better team like last year SAS vs MIA then NOBODY would propose him as the finals MVP. And nobody did last year iirc. He outclassed other players, therefore he was in conversation. And imo it was a good thing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Lady luck was definitely on our side. And at the same time, the team made their own luck. Limited minutes and a deep bench kept the players fresh and reduced the chances of injury.

On the other hand, the Dubs did play healthy members of every first-team All NBA, the first time in history that has happened. And while I'm not well-versed in ELO ratings, the Dubs playoffs run was something like the second highest ELO.

Finally, the East path to the finals is a joke. Second best team was a depleted Atlanta.

8. foodguy

again, nothing against the dubs, who i was pulling for. but more something i posted long ago and far away, like at the beginning of the season when everyone was predicting champs based on rosters. it takes a great roster and a lot of luck to win a championship, maybe even in equal amounts, if you count health, distractions, 50/50 balls, etc.

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This season and injuries has been outrageous. I think it was Jeff Van Gundy, I don't recall exactly, but whoever it was blames it on the off-season training regimes. The players are getting bigger and stronger in the off season which is putting a larger strain on the body. Seems to make a good point, as players are playing less minutes and now this modern (weaksauce) trend of rest days, injuries should be going down.

10. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

All going back to that Paul George injury =(

11. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Remember, guys, the league will start testing for HGH next season. If you all thought injuries were crazy this year, just wait...

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Drove home hearing the news about the incident during the parade in Oakland

Boggles my mind, makes me sad ugh

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I just need to let out some steam
    That's been building up: How the fuck did Lebron not win MVP? I can be stupid sometimes but this I Just don't understand and the feeling isn't going away

14. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i dont get it either

basically didn't get it because the whole team wasn't valuable enough. and apparently valuable means the same thing as winning

1 person likes this.
  15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

let us mourn his mvp trophy case. lesigh

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

You guys should lobby to make the Finals MVP decided by an online voting system.

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Maybe someone from the KC royals will win

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

It's not well known, but if you score 100 points as a member of the losing team then you can claim MVP. In that case LeBron would have only needed about 230 shots.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ in that case since iggy didnt let him score 100, he def have deserves the mvp

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.