1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Interesting W's/Pelicans game. My basketball expert friend came over for the game. All game he was harping on about the Pelicans being idiots for playing Asik at all and that they needed to play AD at the 5. Obviously moving AD to the 5 worked better so I would expect we see that the rest of the series unless the Warriors can make them pay for playing Anderson at the 4.

I think the Warriors played pretty poorly all game offensively but the Pelicans couldn't generate any offense of their own until the 4th quarter. We saw some glimpses of playoff Harrison Barnes which was nice and hopefully this was just an uncharacteristically poor shooting performance for Steph and Klay. I don't think it was playoff jitters so much as one of those poor games that teams play (bizarre turnovers, dropped alley oops, missed free throws, etc.).

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Bucks crazy athletic but they really have trouble finishing. Bulls looked like GSW out there. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  4. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

^ Worst offense since the break. Great to see rose playing, and playing well for once out there.

Dirk is so done on defense, harden put him a pick and roll basically every trip down. Dwight was fucking dominant. The rest of houstons team is so odd. Game was all over the place, super helper skelter, and the refs were pretty terrible for both sides.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  5. Neo_Version 7

^ Wasn't a Pau game offensively (he did his job with rebounds tho) but Butler/Rose more than made up for it. But seriously, it was raining 3s (Dunleavy, Mirotic, Brooks, Butler, even *gasp* Rose). They gotta carry this momentum for a sweep, hopefully

That Hou-Dallas game,, for a minute there I thought they were gonna do hack-a-whoever for the rest of the game. Really was odd

6. Brothersport

yeah i didn't watch a ton of the game but whenever i saw pau get the ball in the post he got doubled immediately, and he's obv a great passer. i saw some comments about how rose's jumper form tonight looked the best it's been all season, which is awesome.

lolol there was that minute where dallas hacked josh smith, i think, and then immediately houston hacked rondo. they weren't in the bonus so i guess it was just for effect? but they got a standing O from the home crowd, it was hilarious.

7. Neo_Version 7

Pop definitely would have kept hacking till 2 in the morning

1 person likes this.
  8. Brothersport

hahaha i can imagine them running out of players, then sean elliot ripping off his mic and diving in front of the opposing player and taking a shooting foul for the team.

1 person likes this.
  9. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i was thinking just that. he's stopped doing that thing where he jumps straight up and his shoulder goes forward (like westbrook). legs kick out naturally with shoulders back

i was looking forward to hack a rondo vs hack a jsmoove, but it only happened once.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. Neo_Version 7

I'm as hyped about the Pitch Perfect sequel as the next guy (especially now with Hailee Steinfeld joining the cast) but these commercials.....my god. They are one step removed from promoting the Frozen sequel.

11. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Wow, Portland is getting massacred...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  12. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Why is that surprising? They closed the season poorly, they're on the road, and they have some injuries.

13. indesertum

i thought it would be bad but not that bad

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I know critics are going to hate Doc Rivers because he complains too much. But for me, the most annoying thing about him has got to be that his shirts are way too tight and that even though he wears a coat and tie, it's incredibly obvious because his shirts are just that tight.

15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

CHI - MIL looks the most entertaining series of the 1st round to me. I liked the mix of refinement and upstart.

The bucks have such an interesting group, I suppose Jason Kidd is providing the veteran leadership (suddenly coveted by members of the NBA thread mafia), they've become hard to handle. For the Bulls, Rose looked really good, though he has the face of a 15 year veteran now, he worked hard, and CHI in general has a great mix, especially for playoff contention. If would really love to see them in the finals, but a 7 gamer versus Cleveland would be memorable if they can't progress.

16. Neo_Version 7

I know the "Clips have a horrible bench" horse has been beaten to death already.... but 8 straight points by SA start of the 2nd quarter :facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I'm prly wrong about HOU - DAL. Harden can indeed impose his will, and "playoff" Rondo looks improbable. D "max money" Howard looked terrible, but Dallas just doesn't have the combinations to make it a series. The battle of the analytics seems trumped by James Harden, who I might be wrong about as MVP. Dallas looked owned in G1, only Carlisle can save them now. Good coaching by McHale, Terrence Jones and Terry especially.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Brad Stevens might have initiated the new buzzphrase of "coaches that make players better" as noted by Grantland (Simmons/Lowe/et al) -but they're right beside the cringe inducing buzzwords... Zoeller effective? Whodathought. And keeping Isiah (vomit inducing name) Thomas on the bench when 90% of coaches wudda moved him into the starting lineup?

Regardless of the score, Boston have a great, great Phil/Pop/Red type coach. I'd want him running my squad over everyone except Pop. He's even trumped Thibadeau in my personal rankings. That Boston squad has no business on the court with the Cavs, but this is why they play the games.

By the way, props on the new Hair Club For Men Lebron, lose the headband, all is good. The forehead is looking a bit skyscraper, but whoever is managing the cut is keeping it real. Endorsements to follow. The headband looks better on Randolph anyway.

19. indesertum

danny green's 1v2 transition defense so good

20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

BKY - ATL had no business being as close as it was, that Schroderer kid has a future, he has a Bobby/Reggie Jackson style play but he's quicker and more invested, I really like him.

Unfortunately, ATL is exposed for it's regular season deficiencies, and an eventual matchup against CLE/CHI will prly end badly for them. They are one 7' that plays 24 mins away from a title contender.