1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Those outcomes are just meaningless speculation. How are any of those outcomes better? Well, what's the FG % of a dunk?

Lebron will dunk the shit out of that ball unless Johnson rotates, which is what happened.

I never said it was Johnson's fault, but it was his job to cover that huge space that opened up and he didn't. You believe giving free a dunk was the best defensive decision, I don't agree.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I think you're kinda right. But it's not anderson's fault. It's the man guarding shumpert' fault. I didn't realize he was stepping on the paint. I don't think he could've gotten on the other side of the lane above the restricted area to get a charge like diadem said because lebron had a head start and was running at full speed whereas johnson was standing still. he might've been able to force a pass to the corner but JR's man would've rotated over giving JR an open 3.

I think a good defensive team like warriors might just have lebron's man (dray?) switch to kyrie and kyrie' man trails lebron. Also have shumpert's man come help protect lane and everybody rotate to sink and fill

Anyways. My biggest pet peeve is how these highlights show dunks that are usually because defensive lapses or crossovers that happen because the floor is wet and the defender slips or no look passes where the guy looks and then throws a pass while pretending not to look.

I thought the video was great because I didn't think the defense could do much.

3. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Not 100%. Love could've easily missed the lob. LeBron could've been overly cocky trying to bring that in with one hand instead of going up with both hands. Is LeBron dunking the shit out of the ball the worst case scenario for the Nets? Absolutely not. With 40 seconds left and down 9, a 3-pointer would've cut the deficit to a 2-possession gap. Instead, it's still a 3-possession game.

And you know this how? Were you standing in the huddle when Lionel Hollins was drawing up the defense? That's speculation on your part, which is funny because you're so keen on calling other people out on it.

That definitely looked like horrible off-ball PnR coverage by Anderson. Looked like he was anticipating the pick and his attention was entirely focused on Kyrie. Completely lost his man.

4. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

haha this is so wrong it's so funny to me. bruh you're up 9 points, who cares if they get a dunk. then you're only up 7 w/ 40 secs left w/ the ball.

only way you can lose up 9 w/ 40 secs left is if you fuck a ton of shit up and your opponent has a lot of high-variance shit go his way. so the underdog needs to enact as many david strategies as possible. so if cleveland has the choice btwn a guaranteed 2 pts or a 3 pta by a 33% shooter they would be idiotic not to take the 3 pta.

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

kawhi is like tony allen if tony allen had shooting, ball handling, and court vision. dude's been so dominant lately

6. Brothersport

oh fuck. craig sager's leukemia has returned.

aml is exceedingly difficult to cure in the older population, and much much more so when it returns post-bone marrow transplant. 5-yr survival rates are as low as 5%. i wish the best for him and his family. truly awful news.

7. indesertum

God that really sucks. Cancer is the worst.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Lakers have done it a couple times this season! :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

A dunk is the highest % shot in basketball. Feel free to go ahead and hand them out. I was not in the huddle with Hollins, but I can safely assume he didn't say "if the Red Sea parts, go ahead and let them dunk on us".

See above. And stop with the Neo inducing "so wrong" babble, it's trivial.

10. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

And yet you get all prissy when we safely assume that a potential 3-pointer is much worse than LeBron's dunk given the game situation. I honestly should be baffled at how is this not getting through to you, but I know better at this point. You're a lost cause.
    The hell is he supposed to do? Say you're right? [​IMG]

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is just a philosophical difference. If CLE needed a 3, they would have shot one.

Maybe just say nothing, it's implicit in the counterpoint.

12. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

each time a basket is made it's 'bad defense' and it happens on 50% of possessions so idk what is your point exactly
    it's not like this play could be easily stopped, it was pretty entertaining as well so cheer up and enjoy instead ^_^

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  13. Brothersport

this playoff dance is enthralling. golden state is locked into #1, port in 4, dallas 7, okc 8 (probably).

memphis is #2 (51-24), houston 0.5 gb (50-24), clippers 1.5 gb (49-25), spurs 3 gb (47-26).

memphis should give anything not to face san antonio...clippers would probably prefer not to face memphis. spurs are sitting pretty, hard-charging, and everyone is terrified of them. who really knows about houston; i still have no idea how they're winning games.

14. indesertum

Yeah. How the hell is Houston winning

15. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

besides Harden they have a v.good passing team, good wings and experienced guards(terry/prigioni).... but still yeah they should be winning so much :puzzled:

16. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

But many possessions end with well contested baskets, that's not bad defense. On the flip side, terrible defense often results in a missed shot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

It cracks me up how teams are looking at their records now counting how many more losses they need so they don't lose the protected draft picks they traded away. It's untenable.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I don't get the pundits obsession with determining "who's team" it is.

1 person likes this.
  19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

FTFY

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

idfnl might not see the fault in his stupidity, many stupid people dont. instead, its the rest of the members in this thread - who time and again dismiss his comments as being stupid and yet keep replying to his bug-eyed ideas - that might be stupid; like moths attracted to light because they dont know any better.