1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

most places saying 6 week worst case scenario, and estimating 4-6. i hope it's not that long, but if it is, their playoff chances are in real trouble.

they're 6.5 games up on okc. if it's 4 weeks, blake's games missed are: @DAL, HOU, SAS, SAC, MEM, @HOU, @MEM, @CHI, @MIN, POR. They're not gonna be favored in more than 3 out of those 10 games. If they go 3-7, they'll still have a buffer, with a lot of easy games left on the sched.

staph recovery seems super variable, tho.
    this is from some random blog: http://instreetclothes.com/2015/02/08/understanding-blake-griffins-staph-infection/

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Let's say for argument's sake, the Clips do make the playoffs but they end up being knocked out first round. Do we officially close the window for this team or is just the misfortune of being in the West?

Would be really great if a team like Memphis and Atlanta end winning the chip over the super teams of Blake&CP,,Dwight&Harden,,,OKC (again!!)

1 person likes this.
  3. Brothersport

i don't think their window would be closed, but i'd be very surprised if this era got a chip if they lost early this year. they're pretty much married to paul/blake/deandre, and doc hasn't shown anything near the skill as a gm to get them help to push them over the top. but they'd still be really good, and a threat to be top 4 in the west every year.

i would loooooove if memphis won the championship. their window is a lot smaller than most think imo. gasol is 30, randolph is 33, tony allen is 33, and they don't have too much cap room.

1 person likes this.
  4. Neo_Version 7

Yeah I've been rooting for Memphis for a minute. Wouldn't mind Dirk going out with one more too.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Memphis got Gasol, Randolph and Lowry. They are more of a super team than the Clips or even OKC. :lol: And to be fair and with respect to the Hawks, they have Horford, Milsap, Teague and Korver. These teams are just smaller markets so the players doesn't seem like superstars but most of those definitely are very underrated. Granted Korver isn't a full blown superstar but dude is definitely providing great numbers and it is difficult to say that Atlanta wouldn't be this good without him.

I don't think you close the door on the Clips at all, CP3 and Blake are still young and it's about building the team around them, Doc just got to figure out it out instead of hiring the untalented son. They'll just try their luck again the year after.

Even if they blow most of those games, all the other teams from 3-9 still have to win their games and lose very few to kick the Clips out of 8th spot. I think they really just have to hope for the best and that Blake recovers quick.

Clips has lost 4 in a row and gone 5-5 in their last 10 games and they are still in the 6th because all the other teams that can push them out hasn't stringed a consistent/consecutive wins so I think they are still there with the rest of them.

6. Brothersport

i don't think dallas is good enough this year. but the cool thing about them is that they really know how to wheel and deal so they're never stuck in the exact same situation.

rfx, yeah i agree, i don't think the clips lose out if blake comes back in 4 wks or less.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Lowry? You mean Conley? Still not really a super team IMO

1 person likes this.
  8. Neo_Version 7

^^ Lowry?? Do you mean Conley? And no way am I saying Grizz are like under-the-radar made up of scrubs or anything but the fact is, like Brosport said they are seasoned vets. Gasol is 30, Randolph is 33, and Tony Allen is 33. It would just be nice to see them win a chip before they get too old for good.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Oh yah, Conley. :lol:

Just because they are seasoned vets doesn't mean they aren't superstars and combined not considered a "super team".

Point is that Memphis is more of a super team than just simply Blake and CP3. I mean come on, Deandre is a paper cut away from ending his career.

10. Neo_Version 7

Ehh, agree to disagree. Talent wise, I think Clips edge them. They got multiple all-stars in Blake and CP3 alone. Jamal Crawford multiple 6th Man of the Year. DeAndre a beast on the boards. And not to mention a championship winning coach in Doc.

That's as super as you can get, I think.

11. indesertum

Really? Gasol, Randolph, and Conley are stars not superstars. When I think of superstars I think of dudes who can carry a team on their backs. Gasol's the best player and he can't carry a game.

I don't see them as a super team. Just a really really good underrated team

I still think Lowry was the better pick. Grizzlies basically traded him away for Demarre Carroll and didn't even keep him

I'm surprised you're so down on DJ. He's a beast on both ends.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Doesn't get any more super than the Heatles. Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton may have that beat but 2 out of those 4 were on their way out.

But even with the Lakers, Shaq & Kobe and Phil were never considered a "super team", neither were the Kobe, Pau, Odom & Bynum team. Granted it's a relatively new term but again it's just the case of a small market team so their players gets underrated in Memphis' and Atlantas case.

As for Doc, I don't want to say it but that one championship win isn't too far fetch from being a fluke.

13. Brothersport

i think super team discussions are kind of dumb but it would be bizarre to say that memphis or atlanta is more of a super team than the clippers.

phoenix CANNOT catch a break. they've now lost on so many buzzer beaters. this one was a boogie long 2 that bounced on the rim like 40 times before dropping in.

14. indesertum

As much as I like the Suns I don't see how they can get out of perpetually fighting for 8th seed in the western conference.

15. Brothersport

like long-term, you mean? yeah...they have a lot of intriguing pieces but no star and a gaping hole at center. maybe len gets decent?? but then you still have bledsoe who is supremely talented but doesn't have any idea how to run a team (yet?), and dragic, who is good but not great. same w/ kieff. i guess dragic could be a similar player to teague? isaiah thomas seems destined to be a great gunner for a mediocre (or worse) team.

there are still a ton of rumors that they're gonna trade bled, or let dragic walk. i think management is as pessimistic as you are.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I am not down on DJ at all but I wouldn't consider him a part of the big 3 or the Clips. I was defending him hand and foot against the troll a week or so ago.

I think that definition of a superstar is too specific and I do think Gasol can carry a team to a win, I've seen him dominate the same Blake could. Randolph used to carry his teams to victory too, including when he played for the Clips. I mean Melo can't win anything for the Knicks but he is a Superstar, same with Wade and Bosh but they can't will their team a win these days.

Gasol might be the only franchise player of the 3 but that doesn't take away from Conley and Randolph. I see those guys as Superstars just because they are actually winning (and not just winning but also competing for a chip) in comparison to players who are beasts but in a losing team.

And we also got to stop looking at things in hindsight and what or who they were traded for. There are some really bad trades out there but some makes sense. I mean Lowry was playing less than 30 minutes and didn't really wow from the start, definitely coaches fault as many cannot shine without minutes. He averaged less than 10 pts and less 4 assist in his first 4-5 seasons? Looking now of course he becomes a bad trade. I mean there are just many factors, if Gay wasn't traded last year chances are good that Lowry might not be an All Star this year.

17. indesertum

Really one of the best rim protectors and roll men in the league and he's not a big 3? I mean he has weaknesses but his strengths more than make up for it.

I thought the Lowry trade was bad at the time. He was a steal that low in the draft and they were just fixated on conleys draft number. As mediocre as Lowry was in the beginning Conley was worse even up to few years after the trade.

I don't recall a single game where gasol dominated like blake occasionally does. He's not an unstoppable beast. He's just very good at what he does. I'm not saying a superstar has to be able to carry the sixers or the knicks to a win but he should be able to carry a decent team. I think superstars as guys like harden, curry, love last year, lbj, KD, Anthony Davis this year. Like guys who can singlehandedly win a very hard game

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the clippers are funny...did you guys hear the simmons zach lowe podcast?

even zach lowe ends up saying that behind the scenes the majority of executives, players, and GMs are "sick of their [the clippers ] shit" - in reference to the team's entitlement, pouting towards refs, and arrogance for not having actually achieved anything. Things like Chris Paul always trying to get half court shots off before a half while violently flopping and then immediately whining/jawing at the refs there was no foul, or how Doc Rivers gets constantly blown by the media because he's very savvy [open to interviews in exchange less scrutiny] but in reality has an iffy record in regards to transactions he's made as a GM.

I'm kind of fascinated on how Chris Paul and Kobe AND Dwight Howard would've eventually tried to play together if those series of trades went down. It would've been soap opera-riffic.

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo_Version 7

Yeah, I remember asking you guys if the Clips look like they hate one another in person. RFX had some interesting things to say about the topic IIRC.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Clips definitely bitch and whine on every call. It's annoying.

In name and recognition, not a contest. But talent-wise, I'm a Clips and Griffin fan but I do see Gasol > Blake this year and Milsap isn't too far along to Griffin (there was a discussion here last season who was better and such), it can even be said Milsap is a bit better because he is more consistent with his range? No way am I saying I'd take those guys to start a franchise over Griffin though. Griffin still needs to stop relying too much on CP3 and that is why I said it wouldn't hurt the Clips if CP3 went down for a week or so so that Blake can dominate again when he has no one to pass the ball to all the time. The team is just way too reliant on him really.

CP3 > Teague and Conley, no doubt there but those two are up there as stars. I just think put those guys in NY or LA and they'd be looked at in a different light. Plus I think Conley and Teague are actually still improving while CP3 seem to be at his peak already and dude is constantly getting hit and beat up and already injury prone from the past.

I don't know, most of those are based on the news I've read and games I've watched, I am in no fantasy league this year so no idea how most of those guys are doing stat-wise though I think I read somewhere that this is one of CP3s worst in the past few years?