1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

If this Hawks-Warriors finals does happen, it's gonna be one of the least watched series ever

2. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, the Clippers/Raptors game is pretty exciting right now.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

No. Fans are stupids. They cheer for a team rather an a well played game.

Happens. Sometimes the 2 worst teams play a better game than the 2 best teams. On average, you're going to get much better basketball with the best teams matched up (he he, unless you have relegation!!). Obviously this is your view of the play, but regardless, Barkley was right... what are we watching the bottom of the west Lakers instead of the best teams regularly? Stupid fans.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

they cant change the game for a better game?

i hope i see this in the finals. i dont know who to root for. i keep switching back and forth

5. indesertum

where are our in stadium updates from @Brothersport

i dont understand how they're getting quality production from mike scott, bazemore, and schroeder. what kind of sorcery is this

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

huh… you're right. :hide:

7. indesertum

OKC PELICANS OMFG

BEST GAME EVARRRR

HOLY SHIT

1 person likes this.
  8. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

the brow :slayer:

2 people like this.
  9. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

bazemore revenge game!!!!

damn dude atl home crowd shut it down. they were all over the refs, stood for at least the last 5 min of the 4th, whenever korver or mike scott touched the ball, etc. maybe 10% of the crowd were warrior fans?
    1st quarter was really sloppy, multiple unforced turnovers from either side. curry was slow to get started, but klay and korver hit some great shots to keep pacing their teams. you can feel how each defense is super frantic when klay or curry get the ball behind the 3 pt line, and korver is the same way for the hawks, but obv doesn't dribble very much.

warriors: thing that stood out to me the most was draymond green, probably. dude is everywhere on defense, constantly shutting down shots in the paint. he had 20 rebounds today!! but he can't shoot worth a lick. he's down to 33% from 3 after a really hot start and everyone leaves him wiiiiiide open. he had a couple nice rolls off screens later where he got layups, and he kind of had his way w/ the hawks' small frontcourt on the boards (millsap had only 4 rebs), getting multiple tips. it helps that he's a very good passer but his lack of shooting might gum up the offense in the playoffs. they barely played green and bogut together in the 2nd half. speaking of bogut + dray, their inside D is so solid, it seemed like the hawks did almost all of their damage from midrange (millsap!!) and the 3 point line. i remember thinking in the 2nd half that the hawks could really use a deandre/chandler/drummond type off the pick and roll to penetrate the lane, cuz they hadn't had much of that. a couple minutes later schroeder threw an oop to horford when dray and bogut were both out and david lee (poor david lee) was "protecting the paint," but green came in soon afterwards.

harrison barnes is a weird player. i just don't think he can dribble very well. he had 5 plays today that were great slashes from the perimeter w/ athletic, gliding, strong finishes near the hoop that really made you pay attention, and was just invisible otherwise. klay's improvement is so palpable, you can really see his comfort level when he's driving, he doesn't seem mechanical in the least. he can't quite do complex stuff yet (missed a tough layup, got a pass or two picked off) but that might come w/ time. curry is super smart and uses his hesitation dribbles really really well. he usually takes exactly what the defense gives him and mixes it up a lot. i think the hawks were hedging hard on him, or trapping him off picks, so he gave up the ball to draymond for hockey assists constantly. in the 3rd, he ran a couple picks w/ klay as the screener and just stopped and popped before the screen was set for 2 made 3s, w/ one bank. he's great in the paint too, although he might rely on that pretty floater maybe a little too much.

david lee was not made for this game. he was basically invisible. iguodala at least looked more willing to shoot, which was nice. he's still really smart and good at D. barbosa is still a blur, which is pretty awesome.

millsap is such a crafty player. was probably their mvp in this game, keeping them in it w/ constant FTs and midrange shots. i feel like they should run more stuff for him. also the warriors switched a ton so that curry was guarding millsap, that was weird. tbh im not a huge teague fan. he does everything at an avg-above avg level, but he's not really that good at anything. but he grew on me as the game wore on. he always penetrated and then lost the ball, or missed a floater, etc, but he just did it all night long, never stopped, and he got some good buckets late in the game. he just kept coming, and that was very impressive. korver is insane. mike scott was crazy!! he just bombed all these 3s, was on fire, basically didn't miss. what a luxury to have him as your 9th man or so. if he's on, leave him in and he'll pour in 17 pts in 17 minutes (!!). if not, take him out. i didn't see much of baze's 3s (getting food at eating). schroeder has tonnns of athletic talent but he's still learning. dribbled too much today, put up a lot of floaters. great at penetrating, but didn't always know what to do afterwards (against an amazing defense, though).

the hawks balance is crazy. teague took 15 shots, and then nobody else took >10. you never know where the offense is going to go next. not sure if that's a good or bad thing in crunchtime. tonight teague did a lot, and carroll had a really nice cut for a dagger layup.
    i kinda feel like the hawks were a bit lucky to win this game. they hit a ton of 3s, and shot 15-27 overall. a lot of them were open, but even so. w/ normal shooting luck and neutral court, the game comes down to the wire i think. but the hawks played very respectable defense for the most part, really doing their best to limit klay and curry's open 3s, and they still combined for 55.

haha i literally ran home to catch the final minute of the okc game and we were not disappointed. dear god anthony davis.

3 people like this.
  10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

jr looking good out there. i hope he can keep it together. just last week he said all there is in cleveland is basketball. no distractions. i like jr i hope he helps this team

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

8:30 pacific and all nba games are over. odd

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Great insight brothersport. Atlanta has great ball movement and did a great job getting to the line and hitting their 3s. Warriors looked tired. I think this was a good measuring stick game for both teams.

1 person likes this.
  13. Brothersport

i'd be surprised if this game meant as much to golden state as it did to the hawks. not by a ton maybe (curry played a bit more than usual), but at least a little.

14. UnFacconable

Fans out here definitely saw it as a huge game and it was talked about in the media for a few weeks. I would be surprised if the warriors didn't think it was a major milestone game.

15. Brothersport

oh yeah? interesting. from my perspective i don't think the general fan believes in the hawks team as much as the warriors due to being in the east, lack of star power, etc. steve kerr after the game called it a "minor blip" fwiw. im not saying it was just another game though.

16. UnFacconable

I think warriors fans will write this game off as the team being tired, traveling east or whatever. If the Ws had won there would have been a different story from everyone out here. Both teams are good. I like the warriors chances if they get to the finals but the Hawks won't be pushovers. Well coached and somewhat comparable team. I have a feeling both sides think they didn't play their best ball tonight.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the bulls and hawks showed the different ways you can theoretically beat the warriors even if they score 110+ points...

the bulls just hung on for dear life against the Warriors offensive onslaught and home crowd... and waited until the middle of the 4th Q... and then switched up defenses forcing the warriors to try to score inside...

the hawks just fought the warriors toe to toe with similar assed offensive and defensive sets.... until one team was left standing...

what i did notice is that the warriors can get a little gassed towards the end (hence their 4th quarter scoring woes) which cause a bit of a clogged toilet offense... maybe they've been scouted and the whole league is doing it to them now so thats the cause... still though its hard to survive 3 quarters of the warriors anyway as their 2nd best record suggests.

18. UnFacconable

Normally they don't play their starters much in Q4 so not sure they really have any woes there. My brother who watches them much more closely than I do told me early in the game he thought they looked tired. I'm not sure I understand how they can be tired considering their starters are all averaging 34 minutes or under per game although traveling from the west coast to the east coast is more difficult than people may realize.

It's not clear toe that the Ws have a schematic or structural weakness I just think they were outplayed tonight and against the Bulls. Against the Bulls I. particular the Ws just had a stinker.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

holyshit, so i dont follow wnba but read an article recently about the WNBA's best player diana taurasi sitting out this season at the behest of her russian club team, UMMC Ekaterinburg. Her contract with that russian team is for 1.5 million, almost 1.4 million more than what she makes with the phoenix mercury. Taurasi, arguably best in league made just under $110,000 (!the league maximum!) last year in her championship season

Britney Griner, the Anthony Davis of WNBA, spent 4 months in China making almost 8 times more than her rookie contract of just under $50,000 from her WNBA team.

fuck people go to these games and buy their jerseys please. keep america's best out of china and russia. i would go of course, but nor cal lost their team. i would have definitely gone, absolutely

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Where does that hot chick play? Skylar Grey I think her name is?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015