1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Navy or Black Blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brooklyn, Apr 24, 2005.

1. brooklyn

brooklyn Well-Known Member

If you had to pick one in your closet which would you pick. I need to get one for business casual days and I don't know what to do. I generally wear slacks. Grey, black, blue. Maybe once in awhile pair it with a pair of jeans. I would like to have a 3 button with side vents. Your opinions would be appreciated.

2. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Navy definitely.

3. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

Navy and try to find a two button...side vents are great. Canali makes one.

4. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

5. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Well-Known Member

Navy, unless you need to affect that "Planet of the Yoko Onos" downtown look.

I don't like side vents, myself - too much like Roger Moore in "The Saint".

Two buttons - otherwise you'll look like Buster Brown.

Thus endeth the Pop Culture Reference-Laden Lecture.

Have fun,

6. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Don't forget the brass buttons if navy blue, my preference, is your choice. Â When I see a blue jacket with black buttons, worn as a blazer, I wonder if it's just a suit jacket that's been severed from its matching pants. Â Is there a reason for not having brass buttons?

7. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

I would pick a black blazer with no vent

8. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I have a DB navy blazer without brass buttons. I had a choice and went without. I already had a 2B blazer with buttons with the crest of my secondary school alma mater, so I figured it would be nice to have one without

10. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

My preference is navy, two-button and I don't like shiny brass buttons. But I also don't want people to think I'm just wearing a suitcoat. I know it's possible to buy buttons separately and have them changed, but I don't know where to get blazer buttons (others here know, as I've seen it posted, but forgot).

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Navy, and have the buttons (whether brass or same colored) replaced with antiqued silver ones. A good way to differentiate yourself from the "I so want to own a yacht" club without people wondering whether you are wearing an orphaned suit jacket (although the material and true navy color should make this clear to even a casual observer.)

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

If you're young it looks like a jacket that you got for christmas from Steinmart; at any age it looks like you're lost and looking for the yacht club. Some interesting and unusual buttons can be had here: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=4 EDIT: I had a Polo blue blazer with marbled cream colored buttons, surprisingly it worked well.

13. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Perhaps the brass button reactions are related to geography and location. In the urban centers of New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, a blue blazer with brass buttons is about as ubiquitous as a windbreaker would be in Portland, Oregon. The brass buttons aren't considered "fancy" or "pretentious;" they're nearly invisible and implicitly understood to be part of a standard uniform. I have noticed in California, where I live, that there can be an element of snide condescension directed toward those who make an effort to dress well. I know that the generalized CA ideal is a seemingly unstudied, breezy, disheveled-but-luxurious style, as opposed to the starchier and more pressed styles you might find elsewhere. Based on what I've read above, I'd better set up an appointment with a yacht broker to find something to go with my brass-buttoned blazer.

14. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Another vote for navy, two-button, side vents. It's probably one of the two most worn items in my closet whereas my black one rarely sees the light of day.

15. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I'd like to cast my vote for DB navy with side vents and gold buttons.

16. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I personally think horn buttons make a more versatile coat of a lightweight blazer. They aren't so heavy as to pull at 8 or 10oz cloth.

I also enjoy the look of leather buttons on blue serge single breasted.

And gold buttons, never brass, on double breasted blazers.

17. brooklyn

brooklyn Well-Known Member

I get the sense that most people have blue blazers. From what I have seen I really do not like the look of the brass buttons.

Would black be a bad choice.?

18. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

It would be a rather trendy one-- suitable for guys who wear black shirts and/or turtlenecks, I think.

If you want to get the benefits of a blue jacket without brass buttons, maybe go either for MOP buttons (nice on linen or cashmere), or for aged bronze (old coins are a nice touch, if you can find them in the right size).

19. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

Looking at the blazers I have, I like the silver buttons best with gray trousers. Brass buttons seem to be better with tan trousers. That said, I just bought a DB lightweight blazer with brass buttons and thinking about replacing them with plain silver.

What hasn't been discussed is that you can't wear a lightweight "seasonless" blazer (super 100s or the like) with flannel or heavier weight twill trousers. You might think about a mid-weight cashmere-probably can wear these for 9 months of the year unless you're in the south.

20. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

One button idea I'm considering is to get some of the War Between the States buttons that the reenactors use for the military uniforms. Most of the Confederate States had their own patterns for their troops. Some are pretty interesting - and I would not feel I was infringing upon the honor of any military unit. Price is reasonable, and the buttons will be pretty unique.

Another idea, one I've decided I don't want to persue, is to acquire some of the interesting British military unit uniform buttons. Complete sets are in the $20 range. And the patterns are interesting and varied.