1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Navy Blazer and trouser, but avoiding security guard look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 13, 2009.

1. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I just bought a pair of RL tan Herringbone flannel pants to wear with my blazer. It'll be a nice alternative to my gray and charcoal flannels.

2. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

lol .. good thing i am bored at home and randomly popped into this thread.

yes - 15 miles on the bike every lunch hour ... down 40lbs since March. trying to lose 10 more hopefully ... but its become really hard.

anyway, back to foxx's question - i think the quality of shoes, a dashing tie and a ps will dispel any notions. most security guards i see wear ill fitting jackets anyways, so as long as the jacket fits well, you are half way there.

btw - sounds like you have the perfect recipe for a perfect blazer ... this one here has all that except it has a single vent .. drives me nuts sometimes, but the patch pockets, natural shoulder and fit makes up for it. i might get one done with side vents sometime next year.

[​IMG]

3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

leave the Segway at home

1 person likes this.
  4. w.mj

w.mj Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the blue blazer and grey slacks combination, but am in my 20s, so I try to twist it a bit. Last weekend I wore a slim blue blazer, grey sweater, dark grey knit tie, and a white shirt on top with a pair of slimmed grey wool trousers tucked into high brown RL boots on the bottom. It had (I hope) a kind of trad meets paratrooper look. Traditionalists may recoil in horror and it certainly wouldn't work for anyone older than about 30, but I think it went over pretty well and it's an idea for younger people.

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Don't clip a badge to your breast pocket.

6. laphroaig

laphroaig Well-Known Member

I wear the navy blazer & charcoal trouser combination occasionally too. It is also one of the very few combinations that received a compliment. I think it went something like, "You'll be better dressed than your boss."

I don't have high standards so to me that was a compliment. Although I'm not sure if this person thought I work in security. I'm certain they have never met my boss.

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

The security guard crowd isn't a very self assured one or wouldn't be allowed to be, thus you could wear with the blazer:

Very bold and/colorful shirts

Very rich looking, bold ties

An obviously expensive pocket square

beautiful dark brown suede shoes

Optional: Non prescription eyewear.

8. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Well-Known Member

I totally don't get the clothing message board association of navy blazers with security guards. Just avoid asking folks for their ID and wear a decent shirt and/or tie with it and you'll be fine.

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Where i work it truely is the uniform of security guards. They typically look much much more put together then the staff.

One of the guards is a retired Police Officer and dresses very well, on the other hand we have one that hemmed his gray pants with a pair of scissors.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

As I posted awhile back, I was recently accosted as a security guard when I was wearing my green W.W.Chan blazer, brown A-E shoes, a puffed silk pocket square and I forget which tie. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Most people are oblivious to the nuances of menswear we set such store by,

11. Farmgate

Farmgate Well-Known Member

lol .. good thing i am bored at home and randomly popped into this thread.

yes - 15 miles on the bike every lunch hour ... down 40lbs since March. trying to lose 10 more hopefully ... but its become really hard.

anyway, back to foxx's question - i think the quality of shoes, a dashing tie and a ps will dispel any notions. most security guards i see wear ill fitting jackets anyways, so as long as the jacket fits well, you are half way there.

btw - sounds like you have the perfect recipe for a perfect blazer ... this one here has all that except it has a single vent .. drives me nuts sometimes, but the patch pockets, natural shoulder and fit makes up for it. i might get one done with side vents sometime next year.

sorry what is a "Ps"??

12. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

sorry what is a "Ps"??

Pocketsquare.

13. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

sorry what is a "Ps"??

What.....................?[​IMG]

14. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Well-Known Member

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

NECRO BUMP!!!!!!

This was a great thread.

Things to avoid:

Poor fitting jacket/shirt/pants
    Gold buttons
    Tacky neck ties (polyester material, geometric designs, etc)
    Black shoes (reserve these for dark suits)
    Flap pockets
    Blue shirts are slightly preferred

Stereotypical security guard/page wear: Kenneth the Page and Guillermo from Kimmel

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, stock image that came up in Google:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  16. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

iGent Navy and blue blazers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Are charcoal pants less security guard-ish? Niidawg is wearing charcoal in the original post.

I've worn this combination before and had people come up to me and say "nice suit."

18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Connery as one of Her Majesty's Security Guards :lol:

[​IMG]