1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 1, 2012.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

I think this is a Torts issue. The team is not the same team as last year's but he's going with the same "grind it out" mentality. The guys mentioned in the comment above were all "grind it out" players. The only real grinders left are Callahan and a bunch of third and fourth liners. I don't think Powe fits...he just seems to be running all over with out the size to really make people fear his hits. 2 goals scored in the last three games with this team's roster is not acceptable. Fuck back checking, let Gaborik loose.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the people NYR lost were all 3rd and 4th liners.

3. NewYorkIslander

They're not grinders though...Stepan is no grinder. Pyatt has size but plays with the intensity of a heroin addict. Boyle was always seen as having thepotential to be a great power fwd, but never realized. Halpern is a face-off guy. They lack grit. They're soft everywhere on the ice unless Callahan and occasionally Nash get pissed off. That grit, in my mind, is what made last years team so hard to play against. Teams are setting up and having cake in front of the Rangers net and guys are so scared to take penalties that they're paying for it. Anyway, we sure do suck this year.

4. gomestar

i def. agree that presence in front of the net (of both ends) is really weak this year. They have the ability, but it just doesn't happen. They've been fairly strong along the boards, but not nearly aggressive enough, which I think explains the lack of PP's lately (last few games they've averages something like 1.5 per game).

I don't think the grit issue explains why Richards and Gaborik (and now Nash) aren't scoring. It helps create space in the zone, but not really on the rush. The Gabby puck fumble kind of sums up his season to me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. NewYorkIslander

There's also the pressure of playing for NYR when they are expected to do well also.

6. gomestar

i know. I think Gabby is past this, he's just off. It affected Nash a little at the start, then he was en fuego, and how he is cold (and it's while they're on the road).

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I thought it was an issue of Torts getting stale, but NYi's comment on how he's trying to push a grinding system from last year onto this skill team makes sense. You guys are in a tough conference... But you are only 2pts ahead of my abysmal Flames. At least i expected them to suck :laugh: Rough when you have high expectations for sure.

The Flames are in that horrible habit of winning enough to get me thinking about a playoff race but losing enough to guarantee missing the playoffs while picking at 7-10. Looks like another 9th or 10th place finish. At least Edmonton sucks properly and gets good picks. My only hope is that Iggy gets traded as a rental since he's UFA this summer and we get a first out of it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. gomestar

nice little visit from Glenn Anderson at the Garden last night

[​IMG]

9. gomestar

10. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

12. gomestar

huge win by the Rangers in Philly last night. They really need the points to both stay in a playoff spot and to open up a little space in front of the 9th-11th seeds.

some touch road matches coming up next.

13. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Hahaha, from last night's snoozer 1-0 win against the Blue Jackets:

[​IMG]

@BizNasty2point0 Hey @strombone1, you catching up on Real Housewives of Vancouver? @NHL pic.twitter.com/hsKfALl30q

@strombone1 @BizNasty2point0 if you were at this game you'd understand.....

2 people like this.
  14. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Iggy's going to Boston. Book it. :(

I spent forever hoping and praying that Feaster would do the right thing and trade Iggy, but now that its happening, I feel pretty sad. He's a legendary player and heart of the team and I'm really not looking forward to the return we get from Boston. The Flames get fleeced in trades by the Leafs almost yearly, and the Chiarelli fleeces the Leafs on a regular basis. If the Flames get a bad return I will be heartbroken. :(

15. gomestar

yup.

16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

And in a stunningly epic trolljob by Feaster... Iggy goes the Pens. I can at least say I saw this unfold on twitter as it was happening because all of HFBoards and twitter about shit themselves. Both NHL.com and TSN incorrectly reported Iginla to Boston before the truth came out. Word on the street is both deals were on the table, but a) Iggy wanted to go to Pittsburgh and b) Chiarelli was insistent on the first round pick being conditional on Iggy resigning in Boston.

Its strange - I was livid at the return from Boston: a former second rounder, a nobody, and a conditional first? No, I'm not expecting a king's ransom for an impending UFA with a NTC who is arguably past his prime, but he still is a legend and franchise cornerstone. That essentially turns into Iggy for Koko if he doesn't re-sign in Boston, and if he doesn't win a Cup there, I don't see any way he re-signs in Calgary.

Then the word comes out that an official announcement is coming from the Flames after all the speculation, and he's going to... Pittsburgh in a done deal?! WTF? After the entire hockey world had all but confirmed it was to Boston? He gets traded for Agostino, Hankowski, and a first rounder that isn't a conditional pick. This is arguably a worse deal because a) Agostino and Hankowski are college guys who may or may not pan out into anything worthwhile, while Koko was at least strongly projected to at least be a strong 2c. I'd rather have one good prospect than two OK prospects. b) a first round pick is nice, but from the Pens its basically going to be a second rounder since it will be an extremely late pick. Plus, with Feaster and Calgary scouting in charge of making the picks I have zero faith that anything not in the top 5 will be anything but a bust.

And after all that... I'm not mad, even with the lesser return? Its not that I dislike the Bruins... maybe I'm sentimental about Sid and Iggy playing together? Ugh. Whatever. The Flames have proven they will always be a terrible franchise and yet another bad trade won't change that. Iggy, on the other hand... thanks for all the memories. Truly a class act, if not the classiest in the league. Go Pens... :(

17. gomestar

i think this sums it up:

18. gort

gort Well-Known Member

As a capitals fan: :fu:

19. gomestar

Agostino is a solid player right now, and clear NHL potential, but he'd probably need a few years of development. You can check him out this Friday in the NCAA tournament.

20. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see how the Pen's PP is going to be.